Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Guides moaning!!

Guides moaning!!

O no the poor whittle guidey wideys having a wittle moan cause they are missing out on getting all that cashy

star-spangled-shoot-em-ups-bringing-big-bucks-to-kiwi-countryside

If we do have large numbers coming to hunt here lets hope there is not more of this type of thing (cant call it hunting)

Opps looks like the link has been removed by user but was heli uniting chamois. I mean find chamois. land, shoot chamois, get back on-board fly to chamois............................... type of thing

They should have to pay out their arse for that if they don't live here imo. We are getting so good at giving away all our good shit in this cuntry
    wsm junkie, EeeBees, JoshC and 6 others like this.

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, they put the chopper down, stalked 5m, put 5 shots into chamois, climbed back into chopper and flew over gully to animal and collected. Hooked it up flew away for a photo shoot( no chopper in picture). Total 'hunting' time about 5min.
    The hunter was camoed up and not very fit looking. He will have one hell of a story cooked up by the time he gets home.
    Something like a 8hr stalk, 2500m climb and 670m shot across a gut with gale force sidewind
    Scouser and TianBotha like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    If it's the clip I'm thinking of, they put the chopper down, stalked 5m, put 5 shots into chamois, climbed back into chopper and flew over gully to animal and collected. Hooked it up flew away for a photo shoot( no chopper in picture). Total 'hunting' time about 5min.
    The hunter was camoed up and not very fit looking. He will have one hell of a story cooked up by the time he gets home.
    Something like a 8hr stalk, 2500m climb and 670m shot across a gut with gale force sidewind

Yep, Thats the one

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    They should have to pay out their arse for that if they don't live here imo. We are getting so good at giving away all our good shit in this cuntry
    I think the hunters are "paying out there arses" but some guides seem to think they should be getting more??

I was thinking of going on a guided hunt due to not having much free time to get to know an area.
    That idea got as far as looking at they're websites. $700 a day and then pay for what you shoot? Screw that, it would be more challenging and cheaper to ask the neighbour if i could buy one of his stags and shoot it from my deck. ( 380 - 470 m lol).

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    tiroatedson and mikee like this.

Some stations also put their old Rams out to pasture instead of feeding them to the dogs. Rich hunters come in and snot them for stupid money. They go nuts shooting bunnies as well for a fee. While ethically I'm against helicopter hunting, if some rich fella came up and offered some folding to shoot a couple of bunnies and a handful of parries with are just down the back, I'd probably take it. Puts me in the same category as the helicopter guides, only on a lower scale because of the difference in running costs. Although all said and done, he could keep his money, but could set up something for me back home. Would leave a much warmer feeling in my belly

One thing with 'Septic Tank' hunters - the REAL fit buggers that is - they'll match most Kiwi's in similar terrain/weather.
    They have the advantage of a wider range of gear available, at prices we all drool about, while we're having to tolerate the 'many hands make lots of profit' mentality here in NZ.
    In addition, if you're ever in the States, go to a reasonably sized Walmart and visit their firearms section.
    Look at the racks of rifles, stacks of ammo and good quality reloading gear at supermarket prices.
    You'll be surprised at how much knowledge the sales assistants have about the gear.
    I certainly was - at Rapid City, South Dakota Walmart in 2013.
    PS - Rapid City's permanent population about 35,000 back then. SD has the smallest State population in the US.
    Scouser, sometimes and Tommy like this.

R93
    Guiding in NZ is an industry that has potential. At the moment our back country and animals are given away to non residents. Whether a guide is ethical or not, is beside the point and is the same as any industry.

A lot of rich overseas clients use a guide for their first few trips and then come over and do it themselves, once they learn the ropes and areas from guides.

The way the system is set up now, anyone can come into this country with a firearm and go hunting on public land at minimal cost.
    Our ballot hunting is a joke and raped by overseas hunters.
    Herds of special interest like the Wakatipu whitetail herd shot up by idiots from oz just because they can.

Try and do that in their countries.

The trophies that have gone into the states are not even half of what is taken in NZ by overseas hunters.
    I personally think unless you are a NZ resident and or hold a NZ firearms licence you should need a guide.
    Not all guides helihunt or do caged hunts.
    However Doc have catered to them types with wreckless abandon and shit on fair chase operations big time. But that is another story.

I am not into giving away our backcountry to people that do not have a vested interest in it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 01-08-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Guiding in NZ is an industry that has potential. At the moment our back country and animals are given away to non residents. Whether a guide is ethical or not, is beside the point and is the same as any industry.

A lot of rich overseas clients use a guide for their first few trips and then come over and do it themselves, once they learn the ropes and areas from guides.

The way the system is set up now, anyone can come into this country with a firearm and go hunting on public land at minimal cost.
    Our ballot hunting is a joke and raped by overseas hunters.
    Herds of special interest like the Wakatipu whitetail herd shot up by idiots from oz just because they can.

Try and do that in their countries.

The trophies that have gone into the states are not even half of what is taken in NZ by overseas hunters.
    I personally think unless you are a NZ resident and or hold a NZ firearms licence you should need a guide.
    Not all guides helihunt or do caged hunts.
    However Doc have catered to them types with wreckless abandon and shit on fair chase operations big time. But that is another story.

I am not into giving away our backcountry to people that do not have a vested interest in it.

Spot on, was what I was trying to say but you know..... And maybe some money goes back into looking after our game resources
    R93, Munsey, Dougie and 3 others like this.

R93
    Spot on, was what I was trying to say but you know..... And maybe some money goes back into looking after our game resources
    Yup. All guides should have to be NZHGA approved to ensure some legitimacy and recourse for clients.

Trophy fees paid to DOC or hopefully one day, another entity, are used to improve the resource, not poison or shoot them.
    Better management all round is badly needed.

Problem is Imo, we have a toothless Game animal council. An old boys and outdated deerstalkers association and no sensible way of sensibly managing a huge resource, that is running around in our back country.

At the moment it is poorly controlled by an entity that wants them all dead instead of seeing there is huge asset in having the animals we have.

Nz is a legitimate bucket list for hunters worldwide.
    We are cheap as chips compared to the rest of the world and at the moment we are losing money hand over fist because of ignorance.

Go price a thar hunt in their home range.

We are the only place in the world you can come in for the price of an airfare and a few other minor costs and go hunt as many animals as you want for as long as you want. It is just plain stupid.

We as taxpayers can also end up paying a large portion of their costs if they need to be rescued etc.
    Nz hunting should be first enjoyed and remain free for kiwis and if you are not a kiwi, you pay. Simple.

It could possibly become too expensive for some but in turn it leaves more animals on the hill for us.

Last edited by R93; 01-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

the idea of having a qualified guide is shown to work overseas. NZ weather being so fickle catchs a lot of people by surprise and costs the taxpayer, H&S regulations must make guiding a little tricky these days (been 10years since i filled out a R.A.M.S. form and never had the little issue of firearms on mine) be careful what you wish for as another entity could apply costs of trophy shooting to residents just as easily as overseas visitors.
    Steve123 and keneff like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Someone must have a copy of the video.
    It wasn't really "heli-hunting" as it is in principal the same as we natives do too (just we put in a little more walking after the machine touches down). The saddest bit was the client thought he was doing a legitimate good. His own post was that he had "done good for conservation" or something along those lines. Who told him this? The outfitter/guide is my guess. The problem is a lot closer to home than tourists.
    Same thing for our fresh water fishing.
    Dougie likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Someone must have a copy of the video.
    It wasn't really "heli-hunting" as it is in principal the same as we natives do too (just we put in a little more walking after the machine touches down). The saddest bit was the client thought he was doing a legitimate good. His own post was that he had "done good for conservation" or something along those lines. Who told him this? The outfitter/guide is my guess. The problem is a lot closer to home than tourists.
    Same thing for our fresh water fishing.
    Yes they seem to forget the game was introduced for the benefit of citizens etc. Now they seem hell bent of taking it all away, what so we all sit in our garage, smoke meth and rot?
    veitnamcam likes this.

res
    Yes they seem to forget the game was introduced for the benefit of citizens etc.
    Actually a lot of the funding to introduce the game animals was from sources that wanted to encourage the early tourism trade-there were some very cool posters made.

Personally I would like to see tourists pay more towards there visits, that goes for hunting and non hunting ones
    tetawa, Maca49, Gibo and 4 others like this.
    Using Tapatalk