Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Guns in New Zealand – Stuart Nash on what could change

If Mr Nash is going to change any policy on firearms a decent speed of police response to firearm thefts would be a bit of a start

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...t-in-wairarapa
    stingray, Pengy and Boaraxa like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    It looks like the offender/s knew where the firearms were. This will fuel the opinion that the security measures for firearms need to be stronger.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Vance hails from Northern Ireland which has the least restrictive firearm laws in the UK and is the only region where personal protection is accepted as a legitimate reason to own one.
    Not the least restrictive in the UK , try getting a centrefire rifle there, (unless you were a member of one of the terrorist groups) as for personal protection, mainly for police and prison officers, who,s lives we're threatened on a daily basis, I would sooner have restrictions than being shot in front of my wife and kids.

In Holland I am pretty sure its 12 gauge shot gun, not semi or pump and a .22 cal or less is all your allowed, so we are lucky and need to unite and to stand strong
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas"

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Not the least restrictive in the UK
    No private person outside Northern Ireland within the realm of the United Kingdom is permitted to own a firearm for the express purpose of self-defence. How is that not the least restrictive?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_controls.pdf

Personal protection weapons
    64 The Chief Constable considers that generally it is not in the wider interests of public safety
    for members of the public to have firearms for personal protection. However, in the prevailing
    circumstances in Northern Ireland where people’s lives can be at particular risk from terrorists,
    he is prepared to make an exception to this general rule.

try getting a centrefire rifle there, (unless you were a member of one of the terrorist groups)
    Because the terrs adhered to the law?

as for personal protection, mainly for police and prison officers, who,s lives we're threatened on a daily basis, I would sooner have restrictions than being shot in front of my wife and kids
    Civilian lives are threatened on a daily basis, which is why the majority of the victims are... civilians, not police. Not prison officers. As for restrictions. Do you think a criminal has ever approached a crime and thought, "Wait, I can't do this.... there's a restriction on murder"?
    mikee likes this.
    "Awareness buys you time and time buys you options."

- John Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    In Holland I am pretty sure its 12 gauge shot gun, not semi or pump and a .22 cal or less is all your allowed, so we are lucky and need to unite and to stand strong
    That makes sense @Paddy79 iv been there a few times & im told that's where the original shot guns started from

Ryan , Am I missing the point ? Only in Northern Ireland did you need a hand gun for personal protection, in the rest of the uk it was not a issue, you did not think you were going to be shot because of your job, i shot pistols, owned rifles for hunting and target, only difference to here was I could have a pistol for humane dispatch while hunting, no silly pistol grip, semi auto centre fire was replaced by lever release, and we were required to have a metal safe, which no matter how much people in NZ complain about it, is on its way here.

Ryan , Am I missing the point ? Only in Northern Ireland did you need a hand gun for personal protection, in the rest of the uk it was not a issue, you did not think you were going to be shot because of your job, i shot pistols, owned rifles for hunting and target, only difference to here was I could have a pistol for humane dispatch while hunting, no silly pistol grip, semi auto centre fire was replaced by lever release, and we were required to have a metal safe, which no matter how much people in NZ complain about it, is on its way here.
    I think you are right about safe mimimum strength coming to NZ

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I think you are right about safe mimimum strength coming to NZ
    I think most people would not have an issue with the minimum storage of firearms being amended.

But someone will end up getting rich by having a monopoly over the approved product of storage.

I know of a fella here on the coast that never got his B issued until he purchased a particular brand of safe. According to him it was one of the only 2 brands of E cat safes approved by police.

That could come down to different interpretation by AO's but I can see major problems if only a couple brands are approved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Steve123 likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

i have no issues with good storage, heck i have allot of $$ in my firearms. but we need to keep an eye on these sneaky bastards. none can be trusted and remember that the loopy greens are part of this coalition.

I wonder if the Honourable Minister had been discussing bakers, plumbers, electricians or any other component of the community at large - if she would have been so contemptuous and dismissive?
    @Ryan

The minister was in fact discussing all the above as we are all LFAOs. You should be ashamed of your ignorance, Andrea Vance.

Does anyone care if police has the respect of anyone? Walk a day in a cop's shoes trying to do their job in communities that don't respect cops. Hope you learn quick.
    timattalon and Steve123 like this.
    Guns don't kill people - cars do.

The point is that all lives are equally worthy of protection and the law should be applied equally, otherwise it's simply a matter of government dictating what determines a "need". Someone then emigrating from that country to here and then driving an anti-firearm agenda reeks of hypocrisy.
    gadgetman, mikee and timattalon like this.

- John Correia

The point is that all lives are equally worthy of protection and the law should be applied equally, otherwise it's simply a matter of government dictating what determines a "need". Someone then emigrating from that country to here and then driving an anti-firearm agenda reeks of hypocrisy.
    @Ryan

I have reflected a bit about Andrea Vance. Anyone over 30 who grew up in Ulster is damaged goods and likely to see the world of firearms owner from a very screwed up perspective. Just think about it. Everyone there knew at least one murder victim.

Ms Vance did not make a good impression in that Police Minister interview but warrants less hate, more pity.

I'd write her a tactful note if I had her email. If someone knows it, please PM me.
    Guns don't kill people - cars do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @Ryan

I have reflected a bit about Andrea Vance. Anyone over 30 who grew up in Ulster is damaged goods and likely to see the world of firearms owner from a very screwed up perspective. Just think about it. Everyone there knew at least one murder victim.
    I was born in Rhodesia. I grew up in South Africa.
    Last edited by Ryan; 31-12-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Truncated quote for emphasis

- John Correia

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I think most people would not have an issue with the minimum storage of firearms being amended.

But someone will end up getting rich by having a monopoly over the approved product of storage.

I know of a fella here on the coast that never got his B issued until he purchased a particular brand of safe. According to him it was one of the only 2 brands of E cat safes approved by police.

That could come down to different interpretation by AO's but I can see major problems if only a couple brands are approved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ya aint wrong there @R93 I got my b and e cat earlier this year and your right I had to have only one of two safes that were approved, limited options and I had to buy more than one safe, was not impressed. May be they have re assessed what safes are/are not compliant?
    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas"