Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Guns in New Zealand Stuart Nash on what could change

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    @Cigar

AND drivers kill even more than get killed by gun stealing/dealing burglars.
    So there isn't a valid reason for us to up our security then. It is not such a problem after all.
    tetawa and mikee like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    So there isn't a valid reason for us to up our security then. It is not such a problem after all.
    @gadgetman

You stirrer, no-one said that! Of course properly securing guns is worthwhile!

The numbers would however indicate that it is not as worthwhile relative to other interventions when looking at society as a whole. Just consider that even just the INCREASE in the road death toll from 2016 to 2017 equals FOUR ARAMOANA MASSACRES!

"Aramoana massacre" 1990: 13 dead victims, 3 wounded.
    NZ Total road toll 2016: 327 dead victims, countless wounded, someone will have those numbers.
    NZ Total road toll 2017: 380 dead victims, again countless wounded. Scratches to limb loss to severe brain and spinal cord damage.

You could justifiably turn the heat up on NZ Police for their lack of results.
    Guns don't kill people - cars do.

@gadgetman

You stirrer, no-one said that! Of course properly securing guns is worthwhileo.
    How dare you accuse me of stirring? I only stir on days ending in a 'y'!

What day is it today? Ok, as you were...
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@gadgetman

Left something...

Name:  49d630f59c521e7bda037820d4fb302f.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  35.3 KB
    gadgetman likes this.

@gadgetman

Left something...

Attachment 80551
    I stir with a much bigger spoon. I think minimum security should be stepped up, and that security includes NO registration. That register is too big a target to offer the best security. The best security is discretion.
    308, Steve123, gonetropo and 2 others like this.

I guess that's one of the wounder full things about harassing the evil red-neck gun owners. It's a great distraction from the road toll. I personally think that the obsession with speed cameras and speed in general has taken the focus away from quality of driving, risk taking etc.

@300CALMAN @gadgetman

Unfortunately though, speed is soo easy to measure, flash, OCR the car reg, cross reference to a database and an infringement notice mailed automatically. Almost like printing money.

Could be worthwhile to have automatic cameras for those who squeeze the orange or cross red lights, but probably not as lucrative? Or maybe more challenging to make as these cameras cannot be mass produced as standard standalone devices -- they have to be able to connect in with whatever traffic light system is already installed.

Unmarked cars going back and forth watching behaviour around passing lanes, I'd sign up to do it!

And yes, NZP is badly short of good performance re the road toll. This should be duly pointed out by when making submissions to politicians about NZ Police ineffective policies in other areas such as LFAO.

Unmarked cars going back and forth watching behaviour around passing lanes, I'd sign up to do it!
    They do. However they target the guy that is fed up with being stuck behind the slow driver that suddenly goes above the speed limit when he hits the straight stretch or passing lane. When the frustrated driver decides to 'risk it' to get past the slow driver the faster driver gets pinged. That alone points to revenue gathering over road safety.
    mikee, Steve123, gonetropo and 1 others like this.

I stir with a much bigger spoon. I think minimum security should be stepped up, and that security includes NO registration. That register is too big a target to offer the best security. The best security is discretion.
    As someone on the register who has seen the screwups made with that register I can only agree - the plod are good people but couldn't run a successful IT administration to save their socks
    gadgetman and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    As someone on the register who has seen the screwups made with that register I can only agree - the plod are good people but couldn't run a successful IT administration to save their socks
    Agreed, I used to dread "inspections" when i had my "B" as often pistols I had sold were still on my Licence even though all the paperwork was done at my end and the purchsers end (I kept copies of everything) it seems not always correctly done by those that should have got it right first time.
    I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work.

I reckon the Government will lower the speed limit,it will pay off financially in the short term and mean that new Roads don't need to be built/improved.

They do that over here,bust heaps of people doing the former speed limit and then put in more toll stations to pay for the road improvements.

Just wait and see.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

I'm going to add a different perspective here. Is every death on the road toll preventable? Yes, and is every firearms burglary or misuse avoidable ? Yes.

We will never get rid of the road toll and no matter what steps we take there will always be those who see other peoples property as their own. We should do everything reasonable to reduce these instances as much as we can but the aware that the events that cause these issues will also occur. We are all human, we all make mistakes. These mistakes all have consequences. Some consequences are very minor, others are fatal. Some years people will make more mistakes than others. Some friday / saturday nights in the emergency dept at the hospital are busier than others....so even if we do our best, sometimes the incidences that make up our road toll will fluctaute when measured on an annual basis.

Here is hoping for a lower one this year. Everyone deserves to get home at the end of the day. (well nearly everyone - there are a few scumbags that we could do without but it is not our place to decide who.......)

Drive safe and be safe this year (and every year after....)
    gadgetman and mikee like this.

They do. However they target the guy that is fed up with being stuck behind the slow driver that suddenly goes above the speed limit when he hits the straight stretch or passing lane. When the frustrated driver decides to 'risk it' to get past the slow driver the faster driver gets pinged. That alone points to revenue gathering over road safety.
    Another perspective here from a driver that travels slower AND lets other pass.

I generally travel at around 90km as I normally have a trailer on when on the open road. I know most of the roads I travel on fairly well. there are a few points I have noticed.

I did a return trip to Nelson from Blenheim. On the way over was sunny and clear and I cruised at speeds around the speed limit and a bit over. On the return journey I had reduced visibility and thus reduced speed to around 80-90 km dropping 20 km per hour of my cruising speed. Now for a 120km trip each way, you would think this would make the trip longer and it did, but only by about 5 minutes......

And another example would be when I last travelled to Blenheim from Chch via the Lewis pass earlier last year. There were cars that I let past as soon as it was safe and there were others that would pass risking us all in dumbass places that could not be arsed waiting a few minutes for a safe place. and most of the time, when we got to the next set of road works, there that vehicle would be just a few cars ahead. and all they achieved with their speed and risk was a slightly longer wait at the next road works. I got camera footage of one twat who overtook us with an oncoming truck on a very short straight. It took 4 sets of road works and nearly an hour before we did not see him at the next stop....All that risk and speed and impatience and after 50 minutes he was 8 cars ahead in the queue.....

I used to see the same when I worked as relo driver for a rental company. Driving at night, all the trucks at the time would travel at about 90. If we travelled at 100 it felt like we were constantly behind a truck waiting to get past and looking for somewhere to pass, if we travelled any less that 90 we constantly had a truck behind us with its lights in the mirror, but at 90km we barely caught up on them and they didnt catch up on us. and we usually arrived within about 10 minutes of the guys who were constantly passing the trucks.

Driving fast does not always get you there a great deal quicker, but taking a more relaxed approach means you are in a better mood when you get there (Less frustrated) and generally the lower stress levels also mean a more pleasant drive. Anger and stress when driving will affect judgement when driving and most of the time, it is not in a good way.

I would point out there are aresholes that hold everybody up and have absolutely no idea or are intentionally doing it. I let people past as soon as I can safely.
    gadgetman, 308, berg243 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    I reckon the Government will lower the speed limit,it will pay off financially in the short term and mean that new Roads don't need to be built/improved.

They do that over here,bust heaps of people doing the former speed limit and then put in more toll stations to pay for the road improvements.

Just wait and see.
    No. They have just increased the speed limit on a couple of roads in the Bay of Plenty.
    300CALMAN and Cordite like this.
    Settings - My Account - Edit Ignore List - Add a Member to Your List - User Name - Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Another perspective here from a driver that travels slower AND lets other pass.

I generally travel at around 90km as I normally have a trailer on when on the open road. I know most of the roads I travel on fairly well. there are a few points I have noticed.

I did a return trip to Nelson from Blenheim. On the way over was sunny and clear and I cruised at speeds around the speed limit and a bit over. On the return journey I had reduced visibility and thus reduced speed to around 80-90 km dropping 20 km per hour of my cruising speed. Now for a 120km trip each way, you would think this would make the trip longer and it did, but only by about 5 minutes......

And another example would be when I last travelled to Blenheim from Chch via the Lewis pass earlier last year. There were cars that I let past as soon as it was safe and there were others that would pass risking us all in dumbass places that could not be arsed waiting a few minutes for a safe place. and most of the time, when we got to the next set of road works, there that vehicle would be just a few cars ahead. and all they achieved with their speed and risk was a slightly longer wait at the next road works. I got camera footage of one twat who overtook us with an oncoming truck on a very short straight. It took 4 sets of road works and nearly an hour before we did not see him at the next stop....All that risk and speed and impatience and after 50 minutes he was 8 cars ahead in the queue.....

I used to see the same when I worked as relo driver for a rental company. Driving at night, all the trucks at the time would travel at about 90. If we travelled at 100 it felt like we were constantly behind a truck waiting to get past and looking for somewhere to pass, if we travelled any less that 90 we constantly had a truck behind us with its lights in the mirror, but at 90km we barely caught up on them and they didnt catch up on us. and we usually arrived within about 10 minutes of the guys who were constantly passing the trucks.

Driving fast does not always get you there a great deal quicker, but taking a more relaxed approach means you are in a better mood when you get there (Less frustrated) and generally the lower stress levels also mean a more pleasant drive. Anger and stress when driving will affect judgement when driving and most of the time, it is not in a good way.

I would point out there are aresholes that hold everybody up and have absolutely no idea or are intentionally doing it. I let people past as soon as I can safely.
    Often when I overtake it is not to gain anything in terms of time but just that watching the person in front drive like a total twonk gets on my nerves

Arseholes should be behind you
    Nickoli likes this.