Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Guns in New Zealand Stuart Nash on what could change

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Often when I overtake it is not to gain anything in terms of time but just that watching the person in front drive like a total twonk gets on my nerves

Arseholes should be behind you
    yes also you don't want to be in the aftermath of their accident.

Definitely safer that way.... I have a lingering fear of being a first responder on the seen of any significant accident and have the utmost respect for those who clean up the mess one f*ckwit can make...
    I agree this is a bigger problem than gun control, and the two problems are not mutually exclusive - but can we please get back to discussing what affects us collectively in respect to hunting & shooting? There is another thread on here for the road toll....
    stingray and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I used to see the same when I worked as relo driver for a rental company. Driving at night, all the trucks at the time would travel at about 90. If we travelled at 100 it felt like we were constantly behind a truck waiting to get past and looking for somewhere to pass, if we travelled any less that 90 we constantly had a truck behind us with its lights in the mirror, but at 90km we barely caught up on them and they didnt catch up on us. and we usually arrived within about 10 minutes of the guys who were constantly passing the trucks.
    I tend to do the same thing with the trucks. The big pluses are:
    You are not pushing yourself,
    The truckie generally knows the road and they make very good time,
    The result of the two points above mean you arrive relaxed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Just start out earlier.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

Often when I overtake it is not to gain anything in terms of time but just that watching the person in front drive like a total twonk gets on my nerves

@308 To that I disagree. Though I will admit the surprise on their faces when I change gear on the bike and it suddenly gets LOUDER right beside their drivers window when they had no idea you were there is remarkably fun......

When driving you are responsible to be able to stop in the distance in front of you. You are the one with the control over the gap between you and the car in front. If he is driving like a complete drunken danger then you can control what happens to your car when his crashes/ flips / explodes / does something fatally stupid. And hopefully keep yourself out of the entanglement.

However, you have absolutely NO control what so ever on what happens behind you. It is that drivers responsibility to not wipe you out and you are totally in their hands. If they are drunk and speeding then you are in trouble. If they are texting or on a cell phone and all over the road, then it is you is in trouble.

I want them in front of me so I am out of their (harms) way.

I would rather pick up the pieces of their crash than be one of the pieces in it.

@308 To that I disagree. Though I will admit the surprise on their faces when I change gear on the bike and it suddenly gets LOUDER right beside their drivers window when they had no idea you were there is remarkably fun......
    When driving you are responsible to be able to stop in the distance in front of you. You are the one with the control over the gap between you and the car in front. If he is driving like a complete drunken danger then you can control what happens to your car when his crashes/ flips / explodes / does something fatally stupid. And hopefully keep yourself out of the entanglement.
    However, you have absolutely NO control what so ever on what happens behind you. It is that drivers responsibility to not wipe you out and you are totally in their hands. If they are drunk and speeding then you are in trouble. If they are texting or on a cell phone and all over the road, then it is you is in trouble.
    I would rather pick up the pieces of their crash than be one of the pieces in it.
    @timattalon

I carry resus kit in my car and I also hang safely back from bad drivers, glad not had to use it on any of them.

Just thinking back to one crash I attended. Glass, ipad, wallets, peanuts, sandwiches - all that was their immediate lives scattered around on the tarmac. It's easy to depersonalise by just referring to "bad drivers", but they carry partners and kids with them, and sometimes they would have been just as good drivers as the rest of us, it was just that they were tired or distracted, or whatever human problem.
    timattalon likes this.

Oh I agree with you in principle of who is responsible, I just find that I have a better frame of mind if I don't have to look at these eedjits

In long haul situations where I think it's too dangerous to pass a long line of vehicles or I can't be arsed I often pull over for 5 mins and let that cohort of arseholes slide on by - same result
    timattalon and Cordite like this.

Oh I agree with you in principle of who is responsible, I just find that I have a better frame of mind if I don't have to look at these eedjits

In long haul situations where I think it's too dangerous to pass a long line of vehicles or I can't be arsed I often pull over for 5 mins and let that cohort of arseholes slide on by - same result
    Same here.
    Cordite likes this.

how does driving cars help - Guns in New Zealand – Stuart Nash on what could change ?
    motor vehicles aint guns. So how do we help Nash help us ?
    I have 2 guns 1 for each of ya

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    how does driving cars help - Guns in New Zealand – Stuart Nash on what could change ?
    motor vehicles aint guns. So how do we help Nash help us ?
    @Paddy79

Guns don't kill people, cars do!

Hey, I think I found my signature!
    timattalon, luv2safari and Paddy79 like this.