Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gypsy Day

Gypsy Day

Can some one please educate me about Gypsy day.
    I know or think I know that it is a day where people in the dairy industry change employers but that's all I know.
    It seems an unusual thing to have,, so there must be more to it that what I'm aware of.
    Like why.?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cows are dry,easiest time of the year to move stock. Have a couple months to get sorted on new job.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Can some one please educate me about Gypsy day.
    I know or think I know that it is a day where people in the dairy industry change employers but that's all I know.
    It seems an unusual thing to have,, so there must be more to it that what I'm aware of.
    Like why.?
    End of financial year, they all get there cows and go for a walk around............strange breed those polluting cow cockys

ok, ta, but why the big move, why don't people stay with there employer?

Just like all jobs ,people move on. Some for different job descriptions, want to experiance different farming systems etc.No farm runs the same as the next.

Fair enough.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    ok, ta, but why the big move, why don't people stay with there employer?
    Boss is a Cock.
    Savage1 and BRADS like this.

It's the day that old sharemilking agreements expire, and the new ones begin. There are a couple of types of sharemilking agreements. One where the sharemilker supplies the labour, cows and agreed plant, and one where the sharemilker supplies the labour and some agreed plant and the farmer supplies the cows. So, over a few days you have this massive movement of farm gear and cows around the country.

Sharemilkers are contractors, not employees. There is another class of contractors called contract milkers. Basically the same as the sharemilker who does not own cows, but is paid cents per kilogram of milk solids rather than a percentage of the total milk cheque.

It's custom and practice for these contracts to be of only one to three years duration.

There is some complex law around all of this. I taught it at Massey for 18 years, and am still involved in some aspects of the industry.

Our school roll is always up or down this time of the year..feel sorry for the young kids that are always on the mooov
    Tommy likes this.

Thanks Tahr, had to be something more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Boss is a Cock.
    And on the odd occasion the worker is a cock. But those ones usually reckon the last few bosses have all been cocks.
    P38 and Tahr like this.

Its not just workers moving around, if people are going to buy/sell farms and move they often do it then for the same reasons. Lawyer mate does a lot of extra hours tidying up settlements etc leading up to it.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    And on the odd occasion the worker is a cock. But those ones usually reckon the last few bosses have all been cocks.
    Yep have to agree @7mmwsm.

Or they are Both Cocks.

Cheers
    Pete

My experience is that it is mostly a draw. The cocks on one side do not out number the cocks on the other side. The bad in this industry are often very bad, and it cuts both ways. And I don't wear the "it's the same in most industries" argument. The relationship between farmers and sharemilkers is unique, and that has a lot to do with the rural culture and the "special qualities" of some people involved.
    BRADS, subs and Tommy like this.

Yip. I'm moving on gypsy day. Cows, gear, household all moving next weekend. Fun fun but as said earlier it is an upwards move. Been at the last job for 6 years.
    Maca49 likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them