Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: H&S bulls@&t !

H&S bulls@&t !

Scoped a job today for a building company (won't name and shame) . They need a concete ground beam to hold a fibreglass swimming pool in place . Because the pool is full of water ( needs to be to stop it floating up from potential high water table ) I need to wear a life jacket . FFS I'm going to look like I'm retarded ! . I have emailed the project supervisor ( who thinks it's ridiculous ) my safety plan , hope she looks like this one
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  23.7 KB
    veitnamcam and Steve123 like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    So let me get this straight Munsey. You are going to be in an excavated hole with out any water in it and you are going to be wearing a life jacket? You are going to look like a prize muppet.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Mate I tryand run 1/2 a factory another bloke runs the finishing part of it
    The amount of crap I have to deal with its a wonder we actually get anything produced.

If it's not Health and Safety its external Auditors.
    We have robust systems in place but these people have founded a whole industry and a very well paid one, on fault finding.

It's no wonder consumer goods are so dammed expensive.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    That's not Health and Safety. If it was, everyone would need to wear one in the pool when going for a swim. And as a contractor you're fucked as you could never win. The problem will be, you're dealing with a corporate twit who needs to look important, nothing more. I really like the new Worksafe. It's the moronic interpretations that give me the shits. Call Worksafe if you're really keen but as you will be aware I bet it will be your last job with those guys.
    Steve123 likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    So let me get this straight Munsey. You are going to be in an excavated hole with out any water in it and you are going to be wearing a life jacket? You are going to look like a prize muppet.
    Fiberglass pre made pool in ground and full of water . I work outside pool up too pools edge . So yes I could fall in , but I'm not 5 yrs and under !

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Fiberglass pre made pool in ground and full of water . I work outside pool up too pools edge . So yes I could fall in , but I'm not 5 yrs and under !
    Then it is a total crock of crap as KJ says.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely

Get a flash new one for your boat, book it to the job as its their requirement, wear it and enjoy!
    I del an urgent motor to a site the other day, hopped out with my hi vis on, stayed between the yellow walk lines and knocked on the fitters container. Shit shit shit all hell let loose and I was quickly ushered back to my ute with much apologising for not being told, the rules had changed to anal! Fuck I just got away with my life death was stalking me with every step! But the sky didn't fall then or since, the worlds gone loopy
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Make sure you have blow up arm bands aswell
    Bryan, 199p and Munsey like this.

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Seeing that they have identified the hazard (the water), and your task is out side of the pool, get them to put in physical seperation fencing, as ppe is last line of defence..... And by wearing a life jacket it would be introducing a new hazard to the task (physical movement, straps catching on things, if hot day the heat stress, and the other tradies calling you a twat.....

Or just buy a new infallable one and use it on the weekend - as for work purpose, it would be a consumable on the job.....
    Munsey and Steve123 like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Yes but he could puncture it and flood the hole! You haven't analysed it to the knats cock!
    Beaker likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yes but he could puncture it and flood the hole! You haven't analysed it to the knats cock!
    Good point! Dig a bigger hole, volume greater than pool water volume.....
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Get an aqualung to wear cause if your trapped you need to breathe! I take any payment due for my suggestions in Crayfish, caught with the new toys!
    Munsey likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I used to be in HS roles (overseas, projects). When friends etc ask why i decided to get out of role soley focused on hs, my answer is - i believe in evolution and not creation. Ie i subscribe to darwins theories, and due to this, i cannot really be a part of a industry/job type / theory that is dumbing down the whole human race by allowing idiots to live and breed. ( if someone is stupid enough to stick there head/arm/leg into a moving big piece of equipment, maybe they shouldnt reproduce.)

Somewhat tough in cheek, but funny to watch reactions when i say it deadpan searious

Its bloody out of control. I got into farming, because I enjoy farming, nowadays I damn near need to leave the gumboots at home and go to work in a suit and tie to deal with the shit load of paperwork we are required to complete now.
    jakewire likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Dreams are free I suppose. As a contractor you're stuck between a rock and another rock. After going through the the Dutch auction to price the job based on nothing more than minimum cost, should you be "lucky enough to win" the job you then have to wait 90+ days for payment while you personally finance the corporate (and carry liability for the job you had to round every corner on to win). I bet @Munsey will be lucky enough to recover his admin costs , let alone buy the plastic bag for half the toys mentioned.
    Beaker and Steve123 like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter