Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Has anyone laid laminate flooring

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Just did our place. Took me and one other guy 2days to do 120m. Ripped up carpet and pulled all the staples out from the underlay, roll of 2mm? Underlay and then put the laminate down.

Didn't have a drop saw, just used a square and circular saw. Stuff we used had male and female ends as well as sides. Giant Swiss made it had on the pack.... @akaroa1 gave me a few pointers. Key thing everyone told me is to leave enough room for expansion in the heat, we left 10mm all round.

It doesn't do well with water, we just loose laid a few offcuts round he bath and toilet so they can be replaced if needed.

It does pay to make sure that the joins are tight, if it's 1/2mm out then it's 1mm the next line and you notice it.
    What did it cost you? We need 120sq for whole house but thinking about carpeting the bedrooms for abit more warmth and just laying vinyl in the bathroom so may only end up doing 60sq, we don't know if having different flooring throughout the house will affect the valuation or not when we go to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

As per 223s advice.
    Leave space around the edges for it to expand and contract a bit.
    I always advise for people to remove the skirtings etc and re install those after its laid to keep the laminate down and cover the gap around the edge.

If you do have a disaster and the floor gets flooded it can only eventually lift majorly if you don't leave that space around the edges.
    It can be fitted neatly around doors etc where there are no skirtings, as long as there is somewhere for it to expand into elsewhere.

I have laid in excess of 5000m2 during my heady days of shopfitting.
    Mostly big open spaces where you could lay 500m2 in a day.
    But that was when I was young and keen.
    Have also done fiddly existing domestic and it just needs a lot more planning and a lot less haste.

Just remember do a lot of planning before you start cutting into things.
    Lay out some full boards and work out the best plan for staggering your joints ( stretcher bond or like bricks ) .
    Look at where you will be able to use the off cut from the LHS to start the next run for the RHS etc.
    It's a bi like a game of chess .... you need to be thinking quite a few moves ahead so that you are not wasting too much or the product on unusable off cuts.

@Smiddy think it was around the $15K mark.... Not sure if that includes the freight to he island and labour for mate to put in or not.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I found the vinyl was not accurate, difficult to cut and could curve making for gapped joints, over the timber. The timber gave me a better looking finish
    Ours is perfect still 4yrs later
    The vinyl planking is what they use for commercial showroom fitouts.

I Buy Brass! - PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post

I must have got shit quality stuff, just hard to keep the joints tight when clipped
    Name:  D7C593A6-BEDD-4C85-B975-DB1D4BD5C9FC.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  ED3DB137-B96A-49EC-A6C5-EA9A9C7AF9C6.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  1.32 MB
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post

I must have got shit quality stuff, just hard to keep the joints tight when clipped
    Attachment 82276
    Attachment 82277
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I've laid quite a bit, it's very common for a flooring sulution in Canada,
    Use a good underlay, leave a 5mm gap on all walls, essentially it's a floating floor, baseboards to hide this gap
    Chuck out any pieces that don't fit correctly,
    Not very good in wet locations.
    Watch you start point, in other words, if the walls are slightly of square, it will be more noticeable, for certain positions with in the room,

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Attachment 82276
    Attachment 82277
    If your joints aren't tight you just need more practise rolling.... Having 2 people are a big difference for me, had to hold a long edge up, get it lined up (over the whole 2.2m) then lower it. Having a second pair of hands to push the join together as you lowered it made things much easier, also sliding it a couple of mm to get the ends lined up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    If your joints aren't tight you just need more practise rolling.... Having 2 people are a big difference for me, had to hold a long edge up, get it lined up (over the whole 2.2m) then lower it. Having a second pair of hands to push the join together as you lowered it made things much easier, also sliding it a couple of mm to get the ends lined up perfectly.
    Yep but you don’t get this joint prob with the timber because it is a solid lock in. The vinyl is not as ridged
    Boom, cough,cough,cough