Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: heat transfer ducting/fan etc

heat transfer ducting/fan etc

Anyone know the nitty gritty on duct length/size before I go learn the hard way....
    I want to move warm air from above the fire and into three or four rooms.

Advice appreciated, cheers 40mm
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Anyone know the nitty gritty on duct length/size before I go learn the hard way....
    I want to move warm air from above the fire and into three or four rooms.

Advice appreciated, cheers 40mm
    The BEST system I ever had in a home I lived in was tall doors with no top lintel. The house had been made that way to be able to flex as it was moved from its prefab factory to its intended destination. Anyway, heats spreads instantly through the whole house and if you want to just heat the living room you just have to shut the living room door. You can reasonably call it a central heating of the whole house.
    Woody, Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.

for a small house i used a single outlet from m10 , they have a 3 output unit also . preferably use an insulated or double skinned tubes and if strong enough lay batts or some sort of insulation over top if using long lengths of ducting.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    for a small house i used a single outlet from m10 , they have a 3 output unit also . preferably use an insulated or double skinned tubes and if strong enough lay batts or some sort of insulation over top if using long lengths of ducting.
    cheers, I have some 150 and 200mm insulated ducting and ceiling vents that have been kicking around for ages.
    Will still wrap em up with batts too, good idea.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    cheers, I have some 150 and 200mm insulated ducting and ceiling vents that have been kicking around for ages.
    Will still wrap em up with batts too, good idea.
    I would be calling up somewhere like smooth air and price up a three way plastic plenum and associated parts.

May turn out cheaper than buying a kit from bunnings.

How far are you needing to run the duct. As a fan may not be needed but can easily be done as flexi duct is pretty easy to use.

The Original Striker
    what sort of length are you looking at moving heat?
    we used 200mm insulated ducting in southland to move heat 19m from fire in lounge to the bedrooms. batts on top for insulation
    started off with just the single fan in the 3way joiner, wasnt great so added 2 booster fans at source and halfway,
    was really effective then
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

It depends on the distance to the furtherest room.
    We used to sell and install a heat trans brand which has a 200mm duct all the way and a big German made fan unit.
    Hang the fan from rafters to avoid noise and make sure you get one with insulated duct and a thermostat control.
    Don't get the cheap Weiss units, M10 sell the heat trans brand in either 3 room or 2 room don't get the one room if you don't need all the rooms just close the vent orbend and tape the spare duct.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

fitting one myself in the next few months.
    try to keep ducting length as short as possible. avoid too many bends and make any bends you make a large radius
    40mm likes this.

our landlord chucked in a bunnings cheapy it works quit well.

We installed one 7 years ago. Bought bits piecemeal from trademe. 250mm insulated ducting, speed controller, grunty fan from some industrial HVAC place not far from Reloaders in Onehunga.

Works a treat. Definitely hang the fan from the trusses. We used a dozen or so bungy cords. Also make sure you have a return path for the air being pumped to the outlets. If we close the windows and the hallway door to the lounge, the fan sucks the air out of the lounge, essentially creating a low pressure zone. The only way for the pressure to equalise is to come down the chimney flue, filling the lounge with smoke! So, either crack a window, or leave the hallway door ajar.

SiB
    Iíve installed a two room, and a larger four room unit. Like the others said, go for larger diameter ducting and the larger motor. Theyíre quieter!

Take care to suspend from roof well. Itíll be well worth it for (minimum) noise.

I recommend them to every house owner with a fire!
    25 /08 IMP and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    what sort of length are you looking at moving heat?
    we used 200mm insulated ducting in southland to move heat 19m from fire in lounge to the bedrooms. batts on top for insulation
    started off with just the single fan in the 3way joiner, wasnt great so added 2 booster fans at source and halfway,
    was really effective then
    Thats interesting to hear, Cause I called some lady at a fan/heat transfer place and she said anything over *m is a waste of time!
    Ill take real world over talk though, how well does it work? @striker
    Use enough gun

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Totally depends on the fan and the static pressure it can provide for the volume you need.
    Example. 6 x 8 x 2.4 room= 115.2m3. At a guess 5 air changes per hour ( depends on how much your heat supply can punch out) = 576m3/hr or 160l/s. I'd suggest no more than 5m/s duct velocity to reduce any whistling noises gives my duct software a diameter of 202mm @ 3.3Pa/m. Allowing for a supply filter and some diffusers in the delivery you will want about 150Pa from your fan to get the full 160l.
    rugerman and 40mm like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

I have a Heat trans 3 room kit. Got it from Corys in Ashburton. Has 200mm suction and fan then 3 way splitter. Adjustable diffusers and insulated ducting. Works good, made a big difference to bedroom temperatures. House is only 5 years old too so fully insulated and double glazed.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Totally depends on the fan and the static pressure it can provide for the volume you need.
    Example. 6 x 8 x 2.4 room= 115.2m3. At a guess 5 air changes per hour ( depends on how much your heat supply can punch out) = 576m3/hr or 160l/s. I'd suggest no more than 5m/s duct velocity to reduce any whistling noises gives my duct software a diameter of 202mm @ 3.3Pa/m. Allowing for a supply filter and some diffusers in the delivery you will want about 150Pa from your fan to get the full 160l.
    @kiwijames do you mind if I pm you some notes and pick you brains?
    Use enough gun