Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Heli Hunting Banned

I love all animals.........especially with gravy

Shit he got that Dunne pretty quick... Next stop 1080?

Good job, at least there will be no ambiguity over whether its legal or not now. Those ratbag heli guys better watch out now if they poach our land! Assuming DOC will prosecute them when they are caught?

Cool.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Good job, at least there will be no ambiguity over whether its legal or not now. Those ratbag heli guys better watch out now if they poach our land! Assuming DOC will prosecute them when they are caught?
    DOC took Mt Hutt to Court about Illegal Helihunting - they got off with a slap on the hand.
    They had a WARO permit and were found to only be in breach of its conditions.

The bar has been set - unfortuantely its pretty low

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Good news. Must be news to DoC as well, I emailed them yesterday asking about the 2012 Tahr ballot and got this back this afternoon:

Hi Sam

Jo has passed your email on to me to reply to. I can understand that you would like to know definitely what the situation will be with regards to aerially-assisted trophy hunting (AATH) occurring at the same as tahr ballot hunting.

There has been no decision made yet on which areas will be approved for the activity for next year and for what dates, so unfortunately we can't give you a definite answer. We are hoping to have a good indication by Christmas of this, which will still allow you enough time to get your application in before the ballot application period closes. If you keep an eye on the DOC website at the link: http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/new...s/heli-hunting as soon as we know anything more we will update this webpage. Alternatively, if for some reason you can't access the page, go to the website and do a search on heli-hunting or AATH.

In 2011 AATH was allowed from 1 June, giving tahr ballot hunters the first go at trophies. I would be very surprised if any AATH was approved earlier than this in 2012 in the Hooker/Landsborough or Adams.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help until a final decision has been made on the current applications.

Regards
    XXXXX________________________________________

Sent: Tuesday, 6 December 2011 4:43 p.m.
    To: Haast FC
    Subject: 2012 Tahr ballot

Hello,

I see that the info sheet for this eludes to the fact that “aerial assisted trophy hunting” (don’t get me started...) maybe permitted during the ballot period. Do you have any specifics available as to when they might be allowed, and what blocks? If this information is not currently available, will it be before the ballot closes, or at least before the blocks are confirmed and the administration fee paid?

I don’t want to waste my time, money, or effort if I am going to be competing with those that don’t have any hunting skills or morals and have to resort to being hauled around in a helicopter...

Thank you
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more