Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By berg243
  • 2 Post By Elrond

Thread: Help and advice sought

Help and advice sought

I want to buy a wee boat fro fly fishing for trout and perch on lakes in the South Island.

What I know about boats is shag all.

Watching a few on trade me but worri d about being sold a pup.

Can anyone share some knowledge, questions to ask, things to look out for.

Be real grateful.

Cheers

Fyran 440 is a good entry level boat. Easy to handle on your own and 40hp to get you to the favourite spot
    Should be a few around in the $10k range

If you are looking to fish out of the boat, then get a rota-moulded plastic hull. The material is 'dead' sound wise in comparison to aluminium and you will scare less fish.
    I have a Smartwave and like it. Definitely fit a permatrim to the motor if you buy one of these as the really changes its performance.

I highly recommend pontoon style boats. I have Stabicraft (Ivercargill) but there are now several several brands and models available. I think they are ugly, but extremely safe with multiple compartments. Tube matting on the floor will deaden sound. If you choose a lighter conventional hull, be careful the deadrise (angle of hull at transom) is not too severe as a small boat with (say 17 degrees deadrise) will be less stable than one with 15 degrees. If buying second hand, have the motor checked by someone who knows what they are doing. You can replace the impeller yourself with basic knowledge. Also check if water has entered gearbox (inspection screw to remove). Happy boat hunting; safe boating. PM me if you find something and I’ll comment FWIW. Also have a mate here who is very knowledgeable (marine surveyor).

Thanks all
    I have been offered this for 6k.

Name:  6BB9C89A-B83F-4036-BA4D-03E013CE6F87.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  363.0 KB

Anyone in Christchurch with the knowledge who could check it over.
    Really wary about getting an engine which is rooted.

get them to take to a boat shop in chch and have it checked by them with a written report with their letterhead on it. if you are keen on it tell the seller you will purchase if it gets a good report from boat shop.its better you pay a $100 to $200 for the check over still no guarantee but more of a professional assessment.have only heard good things about the smartwave and Suzuki have been making outboards for a few years now.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    If you are looking to fish out of the boat, then get a rota-moulded plastic hull. The material is 'dead' sound wise in comparison to aluminium and you will scare less fish.
    I have a Smartwave and like it. Definitely fit a permatrim to the motor if you buy one of these as the really changes its performance.
    mate of mine got a smartwave with 20hp outboard and with two up she gets off like a school boy on dolly partons overhang.-frankly i was bloody impressed.

Thanks all.

It’s going to Mr Boats in Chch when he gets back holidays. If all good I will own a boat.
    All aboard the skylark.
    gadgetman and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Thanks all.

It’s going to Mr Boats in Chch when he gets back holidays. If all good I will own a boat.
    All aboard the skylark.
    Great little boat. Its the same as mine. Mine has a 25hp Yam on it. Two up and I am too scared to give it full throttle - it starts to chine walk
    As per my previous post, I highly recommend putting a permatrim on it. It will get it out of the hole from a standing start way better. Best $80 upgrade you will ever do. https://permatrimmarine.co.nz/

Easy to fit?

6k is cheep as! Epic boats no dramas easy to self launch and cheep to run! I love mine