Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By matto1234

Thread: Help, setting up wifi network

Help, setting up wifi network

I'm after some advice, we are putting internet in at our new house and Spark have suggested we use VDSL. There is an existing setup (I'm not sure what its called) where we can run a line from our router into this little box that has "POE" stamped on it, this box plugs into power at the house and has another line that runs into the wall and I'm guessing up to an aerial on the roof and it sends an internet signal to the dairy shed, which is about 500m away, so we can use internet in the office there and also run some compliance monitoring equipment, from what I can understand the compliance monitoring equipment is a standalone system with it's own aerials etc that collects information from various sensors on the farm for effluent application rates, milk vat performance, soil moisture, weather station information etc, but it uses the internet connection to make that information available on demand from anywhere.
    What I want to do is have a wifi connection available at the dairy shed for using various recording apps on phones etc whilst working in or around the shed, I'm not sure how all this electrotrickery works but with the internet on at the house, the computer at the dairy shed has an internet connection somehow, can I use a router at that end to make that connection available via wifi?
    I would also possibly like to have a wifi connection available at our calf sheds which are about 300m from the house in the opposite direction so we can upload calf weights etc directly from our walk through scales and also be able to record information through apps on phones etc, is there a wifi "booster" or similar that will throw a signal from the house as far as the calf sheds?
    I know all this stuff must be possible somehow, a couple years back when I was in culverden we had a wifi connection that was available no matter where you were on a 300 hectare farm, I have no clue what was involved in that setup though we just called the techs when stuff didn't do what it was supposed to.
    #30GANG....

there was a wifi router unit that used to be available that had a 500m range not sure on radiation output though the other type for getting internet around multiple buildings i remember was plugged into the power outlet and used the power line as a carrier and all you did was plug another unit into any power outlet on the same phase will try and remember what it was called never set one up just looked into it for someone else a few years back.

POE = power over ethernet. purely means the data cable carries the power to run ancillary devices.
    yes you can get range extenders that will give you 500m line of site but you may suffer from rain/snow fade .

Look at the modems that use the wireless 4g network if reception is good and set one up at the shed?
    Mr Browning likes this.

You can get directional antennae that will cover that distance easily enough to link the sites.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!