Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree41788Likes

Thread: Here and now

Sunset Mapua inlet.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, EeeBees, Gibo and 4 others like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    sheeez those who live in glass houses huh, and it's 60
    Hahaha you don't look a day under 60! Enjoy your birthday, welcome to the 60s
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Cheers @Sideshow, I haven't given the final sand and steelwool buff, so no oil yet.
    I have steam ironed the wood to expand the worst dents and Scratches out, but are going to leave some of the smaller marks in for some character (its an old gun and should not look too flash(mutton dressed as lamb)). I was looking at linseed (either boiled or raw), but am still googling about oils and will mosey down to the local wood furniture workshop and will try to corner the oldest guy there (old sons tend to know a lot more than young sons) to try and learn which and what would work best.
    Last edited by kidmac42; 06-11-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Poore spelings
    ..."it ain't the size of the dog in the fight.
    Its the size of the fight in the dog."

Right all packed, just got to mow the lawn now
    Name:  C723B42B-BEB0-4909-B5D5-D0D2E2AAF097.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  2.86 MB
    gadgetman, BRADS and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Right all packed, just got to mow the lawn now
    Attachment 98312
    just do what I do when I want to get away, leave the gate open and let the sheep in just keep the cattle out or the missus really goes off .
    Moa Hunter, Mathias and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    Cheers @Sideshow, I haven't given the final sand and steelwool buff, so no oil yet.
    I have steam ironed the wood to expand the worst dents and Scratches out, but are going to leave some of the smaller marks in for some character (its an old gun and should not look too flash(mutton dressed as lamb)). I was looking at linseed (either boiled or raw), but am still googling about oils and will mosey down to the local wood furniture workshop and will try to corner the oldest guy there (old sons tend to know a lot more than young sons) to try and learn which and what would work best.
    Sounds like it's coming up sweet. When you do start on the Linseed oil don't do the checkering as it will just clog it up @kidmac42
    kidmac42 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Sounds like it's coming up sweet. When you do start on the Linseed oil don't do the checkering as it will just clog it up @kidmac42
    Use boiled linseed ( raw is slow to dry) and thin it a little with Turps. If it is thinned a little it will cover nicely without thick patches - will need two or three light brushed coats. Get a piece of the same type of wood and have a practice first so that you know how much Turps to add. A drying agent can be added but I wouldn't bother with boiled oil.
    kidmac42 likes this.

Made it to palmy, anyone in the area have land we could sight a rifle in?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

R93
    Just had to pick up my daughter from school as all schools in Hoki are closing.
    Seen it worse but rain it is still teeming down.
    Kids out the valleys can't get home due to flooding out there apparently.
    When we have a big flood it normally banks up at the Kaniere dip but when I had a drive there was bugger all water there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Maca49, Frogfeatures and dannyb like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I had another round of chemo yesterday (still hooked up on a portapump now) and they gave me another appointment for two weeks time.
    Missus had a phone call today to say not to go to chemo appointment, so I'm guessing that means they will start the series of surgeries in 3 weeks or so. Bit scary, but beats the alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I had another round of chemo yesterday (still hooked up on a portapump now) and they gave me another appointment for two weeks time.
    Missus had a phone call today to say not to go to chemo appointment, so I'm guessing that means they will start the series of surgeries in 3 weeks or so. Bit scary, but beats the alternative!
    Thinking of you mate! Iím currently tucked up in bed with some man flu or something just as sinister but I wanted to say to you go well, thoughts are with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Best wishes !
    I’m getting over chemo, played summer footy last friday, and...broke my thumb - bugger.
    Start planning for when chemo’s finished, and you’re good to go.
    R93, Maca49, Beaker and 2 others like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    Best wishes !
    I’m getting over chemo, played summer footy last friday, and...broke my thumb - bugger.
    Start planning for when chemo’s finished, and you’re good to go.
    Yeah, already aiming for March hunting, haven't been out since mid May as was in hospital a week after that hunt for urgent surgery, only just getting back towards full fitness and back for more surgery, then chemo started. Surgery is planned for two operations about a week apart, then a big one to remove half my liver about 6 weeks later. After all that there will be another 6 rounds of chemo. Will probably only be a month between major op and March, and will obviously still be having chemo, but might be able to manage a gentle wander with a rifle.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Good luck Cigar, thoughts there

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Use boiled linseed ( raw is slow to dry) and thin it a little with Turps. If it is thinned a little it will cover nicely without thick patches - will need two or three light brushed coats. Get a piece of the same type of wood and have a practice first so that you know how much Turps to add. A drying agent can be added but I wouldn't bother with boiled oil.
    Nice one @Moa Hunter I do the same but give it seven coats minimum.
    Name:  IMG_0263.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  985.1 KB
    gadgetman and Cigar like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along