Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Home theatre surround sound

Home theatre surround sound

I'm in the process of wiring up our lounge for surround sound, I have decent quality wall mounted speakers but the boss said "%{ off, there's no f^%king way you're putting those on the wall!".

Any advice on ceiling speakers and places buy?

I've got an old marantz amp that se me to do a good job, is it worth changing? I'd like something that talks to the tv like my disc player, all Samsung.

Cheers

SiB
    She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed had similar sentiments and failed to appreciate my 4x 80litre speaker cabinets in our lounge. In the end I went for four small wall mounted jobs at about a $1k the set (yes inc subbie of course). The brand? K something I can't recall atm. I now have AWESOME speakers in my workshop. All happy

My surround has gone, ugly speakers. I have one left in the corner of the family for the radio. Have a good system in my gun room! And some hi priced unused shit under the TV
    jakewire likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Caretaker

Home theatre surround sound

Audioengine A5+

High end sound with serious power in a small cabinet.

Like a 338 Edge in a R.E.M. Model 7

GWH likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Piss the full sized shit right off.

One word ...Bose.

Buy once cry once, and good options for wireless multi room.

B
    kiwijames and screamO like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    FYI Panasonic = shit surround sound.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Piss the full sized shit right off.

One word ...Bose.

Buy once cry once, and good options for wireless multi room.

B
    bose is well marketed crap.
    the "base enhancement unit cuts out at 200Hz (2x times as high as it should) the satellite speakers dont become remotely efficient till 300Hz, and taper off over 10kHz.
    ive repaired these useless POS's many a time and my advice is avoid like the fuckin plague.
    GWH, Gerbs and GMH72 like this.

How much do you want to spend? 5.1, 7.1 9.2.
    if the amp is old then it will be dolby surround not DTS, therefore both rear speakers will play the same audio. Dolby atmos is great and responds well to ceiling speakers.
    if you dont want to spend a fortune try this Speakers (Inwall/Ceiling) - Audio Parts - TradeTech New Zealand Ltd
    ive been building sound rigs for 30 plus years and in an existing home its always a compromise. pm me if you like for info that wont drive evrybody mad with boredom
    shift14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    bose is well marketed crap.
    the "base enhancement unit cuts out at 200Hz (2x times as high as it should) the satellite speakers dont become remotely efficient till 300Hz, and taper off over 10kHz.
    ive repaired these useless POS's many a time and my advice is avoid like the fuckin plague.
    Nice, what would you recommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Nice, what would you recommend ?
    @gonetropo, disregard above

B

I'm lucky. I have a missus that appreciates movies. Think 100 inch screen, Projector, Wharfdale speakers and a Pioneer amp. We looked at Marantz and a few others, but only reason we went with the pioneer over the others was the Pioneer was the only one compatible with our older projector until we upgrade to HDMI next year. I used the old (CRT) TV swivel Brackets on the side of the TV cabinet to attach the speakers and hung the rear ones in the corner.

TV cabinet is set up with internal power sockets for all the appliances. No multi boards etc and cables are hidden inside the false back of the cabinet.
    Gerbs likes this.

Mine likes the whole music thing as well can't watch a dvd without it have to go through the speakers so I don't have any worries with having big speakers about the lounge
    Recently bought a Yamaha amp with pioneer cd and 4 way kef speakers,we like it. Tons of grunt.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

where to start? budget !!
    you can buy a theater system for $500 to unlimited $
    the best advice i can give is to save up rather than go the cheaper end, if the amp is too loud at 1/2 volume then thats a good thing. nothing beats lazy power. however amps are only one end of the system, if your speakers are eg 88dB efficient then they will only be 1/2 the volume of a speaker that is 98dB efficient. downfall of this is that the more efficient a speaker that generally they sound different dependent on volume (as far as clarity goes)
    the center speaker is the most important!! dont get a crap one. sure it may be great having explosions on tv that are realistic but dialog comes out of the center channel.
    rear speakers are just that, they should be behind you !
    if you are inbuilt wiring then dont just wire for 5.1, wire it for 9.1 etc etc etc. you wont regret it in a few years.
    subwoofers should not be considered a speaker, they are a pressure transducer and should never go above 100Hz (120 at a pinch) , most of the new ones have a downward facing speaker and are so much better on a hard floor, if the room is carpeted put it on a nice ceramic tile the wife agrees on.

part2: wattage. forget the bullshit the salesman is talking! true wattage is RMS wattage (root meen square), unfortunately we now see bullshit written on systems that state 500 watt RMS, take a look at the back and it says power consumption 120W max. this means that the amp is 400% efficient which again is bullshit
    speaker wattage: see above !!

part 3 the rundown: subs are 100Hz or below. L&R front speakers run for 20Hz to 20KHz or so (if playing vinyl way way more) center channel is pretty much vocal ranges only . rears should be rear of you cut on 7.1 etc expect to have a pair in front and slightly sideways of your viewing position.

Dont be Bs'd by sales people raving about this new HDMI cable etc. its only important in long runs, say 20m or so. same with speaker cable, dont spend $50 a meter etc because you wont know the difference for the $10 stuff (especially on digital audio)

back to speakers: speakers with big cones (remember the old akai/technics etc of yesteryear) cannot move fast enough to provide a fast response so for loud sound you need cabinets with more cones than one big cone doing it all.

thats all for now, any questions please ask
    gadgetman, 308 and Gerbs like this.

i have a denon system i cant take to canada .......model AVR391

Denon AVR-391 5.1 Channel AV Home Theater Receiver with HDMI 1.4a (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
    by Denon

5.1-channel home theater receiver/amplifier with 375 watts of total power (5 x 75W)
    3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology (HDMI 1.4a); all sources are up-converted to HDMI
    High-definition audio support--Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz for front height effects channels
    Remote control can sync with other entertainment devices in your home theater
    Measures 17-3/16 x 6-1/2 x 15 inches (WxHxD); weighs 20 pounds, 4.5 ounces
    1 sub
    1 front
    2 side front
    2 rear speakers

@gonetropo , are these any good for what @SAVAGE wants to do ?
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    i have a denon system i cant take to canada .......model AVR391

Denon AVR-391 5.1 Channel AV Home Theater Receiver with HDMI 1.4a (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
    by Denon

5.1-channel home theater receiver/amplifier with 375 watts of total power (5 x 75W)
    3D-enabled HDMI pass-through technology (HDMI 1.4a); all sources are up-converted to HDMI
    High-definition audio support--Dolby TruHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and Dolby Pro Logic IIz for front height effects channels
    Remote control can sync with other entertainment devices in your home theater
    Measures 17-3/16 x 6-1/2 x 15 inches (WxHxD); weighs 20 pounds, 4.5 ounces
    1 sub
    1 front
    2 side front
    2 rear speakers

@gonetropo , are these any good for what @SAVAGE wants to do ?
    it would be an ok start at the right (low) price but its a bit of a dinosaur. make a pretty good surround sound for gaming on a pc though
    take a look at the specs though as its what i am refering to in an earlier post stated 5x75watts yet only 330 watts consumption. even with todays class d-h "digital" amps they are 90-95% efficient yet this one with a good old class AB which is 50% efficient ( 50% power to speakers, the rest in heat in amp) is still rated as more power out than in.
    either way, not a bad system if the price is right and better than a bose anyday