Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By mcdeee
  • 2 Post By Tommy

Thread: Host family application process

Host family application process

Hey all – we're looking at doing the short term host family thing. Usually a foreign teenager for two weeks, or in many cases even younger (some are only 10 apparently, which I find hard to believe). Police checks as per usual – all good.

Anyway, has anyone had any issue with the fact that they have firearms in the house? Do the organisers ask? I have a proper E-cat safe full of pistols.

Cheers

We have hosted many students and I have all ways had the firearms in the safe, it has never been a problem. Most of them were from Europe and really enjoyed a few hours at the range, girls included, one French girl used to come rabbit shooting with me. The organisers never asked and did not need to know.

We have hosted AFS students.
    You do have pass a police check etc.
    Which is only fair enough.
    No issue with firearms we took them hunting.

Same here. We had many overseas students on med to long term stay, mainly from Japan and Saudi etc. Police checks were all good and I was never asked about firearms.

The lads in particular, had a ball plinking with 22
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Had 5? For a year at a time when I was at high school. Awesome experiences for all involved for most, heard a few horror stories but theres always the odd bad egg.

Never had frpirearm in TheChosenOne then so can't help on that front. Made some great life long friends, did a trip round Scandinavia visiting them all a few years after I left school, bloody hard work when they all wanted to take you out for drinks... (was too young when they were here) just as well they are my 'sisters' could have gotten into a bit of trouble
    Pengy likes this.

Cool, if they straight out ask during the application process, I'm guessing it's better to just be honest and emphasise that everything's secure. They probably won't understand the whole B and E cat thing either.
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    Cool, if they straight out ask during the application process, I'm guessing it's better to just be honest and emphasise that everything's secure. They probably won't understand the whole B and E cat thing either.
    Yeah, just simplify it. Yes there arefirearms, they live in a locked safe, I don't let anyone know where the key is or watch me get it etc etc.

Go for it, it's a great learning experience for you, the student and any of your own kids

Considering a lot of foreign nationals drown in NZ every year, it'd make more sense to keep them away from the beach, but what do I know
    Blisters and inglishill like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Have hosted a few from french agricultural colleges, there always was a contract but it covered hours of work, accommodation, etc. Firearms or vehicles were not mentioned. They all wanted to go shooting though and the favourite game was hares!