Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 2 Post By sakokid

Thread: Hot water

Hot water

Just wondering, have seen an article on Campbell Live about people in Auckland not having hot water after some wind (waits for sounds of cat calls to abate).

For the uninitiated, how is this possible? If they have electricity and water then conceivably they should have hot water? Unless they are on gas?

Can someone explain please.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Pilot lights, or bullshit!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Haven't seen it but the hot water cylinders will likely be on a separate ripple control supply (which gives them a cheaper off peak rate) that hasn't been restored since the outage.
    mikee likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Good thinking Rushy, your looking for a job they need you!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Could be Ripple control some areas around the country have the ability to turn hot water cylinders off by injecting a signal down the lines that the ripple control mounted in your meter panel picks up and turns off the hot water .This is done mainly in winter in the evenings when loads rise due to dinner being cooked ,showers,lights on etc when load reaches preset levels hot waters are turned of ( usually only a couple of hours)til load levels drop .If thr ripple fails then you have no hot water .What I cant understand is all you have to do is call a sparky (me) and I can bridge the ripple control out til Power board gets there to change it .Just a guess dont know for sure this is the problem ,it had me scratching my head as well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bastard View Post
    Could be Ripple control some areas around the country have the ability to turn hot water cylinders off by injecting a signal down the lines that the ripple control mounted in your meter panel picks up and turns off the hot water .This is done mainly in winter in the evenings when loads rise due to dinner being cooked ,showers,lights on etc when load reaches preset levels hot waters are turned of ( usually only a couple of hours)til load levels drop .If thr ripple fails then you have no hot water .What I cant understand is all you have to do is call a sparky (me) and I can bridge the ripple control out til Power board gets there to change it .Just a guess dont know for sure this is the problem ,it had me scratching my head as well
    You must be a lineman?.I think your right tworip wire is usually controlled straight from the sub or main feeders from the sub.short answer is yep its due to power outages controlling the ripple feed but lets ask sako kid as I'm new to it @sakokid

bloody shit phone

Interesting, thanks.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

North of the harbour bridge and parts of west Auckland mainly been the old waitamata electric power board area. There is an extra line on the power poles known as the hot water pilot. The area south of the harbour bridge including South Auckland does not have this system that's why people are not complaining from that area. The hot water pilot is controlled from a different system from normal the normal three phase power system. It uses contactors up on the poles which sometimes can be a real bitch, as app posed to hot water relays installed in each house as in other areas.
    Neckshot and Maca49 like this.

Super info.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Super info.
    You herd it from the Oracle first Ryan.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Larrys involved Rushy??
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You herd it from the Oracle first Ryan.
    Don't worry Rushy, I noticed.

Used to love that ripple control. HWC would get turned off at 1800hrs to aid power for cooking ,heating, and extra lighting during winter. Over night in comes a heavy frost and freezes the water in the expansion pipe thru the ceiling. Power gets turned back on at 600hrs , HWC heats up and no where for the water to expand to so , Hey one burst cylinder. Happy Plumber.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Down here on the Peninsula we used to have so little power available in the old days you had a switch by the oven that allowed you to have the oven or the Hotwater on at any one time but not both .Still some old batches round with it in

I remember that system. Used to wake up in the morning with the hot water bouncing off the roof