Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: How to apply for a job 101

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

How to apply for a job 101

I thought this stuff was pretty simple but it turns out there are a lot of people who really don't know how when applying for a job.
    Im an employer, not a big employer, but we run a few adds every now and then for staff.
    We've run ads through a number of different places but for now have gone with TradeMe (maybe not next time).
    Recently I've placed an advert for an Apprentice. It's a very good trade with variety, good pay and many opportunities.
    We are an engineering firm (refrigeration).
    Typically, this is a young mans place, but I'd love to see a few girls start to get into engineering so am not fussed.
    Basic things we are looking for is some basic maths/physic/chemistry, good communication and an interest in how things work. The rest we can teach you.
    You need to be presentable, punctual and polite.
    Of the 30+ applicant I have received only 4 followed the instruction in the advert.
    We asked for a CV and a Covering Letter. Simple stuff. I just want to know a bit about who you are and why you would be a good fit into our team.
    Some put their age
    Some put their school grades
    Some put their marital status
    Some put references or referees
    Some had career and educational training
    Some wrote in easy to follow, cohesive sentences. Many wrote a pile of fluff without relevance or syntax.
    Some were so light on details I couldn't consider them at all.
    Some spelt my name wrong (yeah I know little things but its contest).

So, my advice to those of you looking to apply for a new position is,
    SELL YOURSELF!!!!
    Make someone want to at least interview you, if not hire you on the spot.
    Be interesting
    Be relevant
    Be competent
    and most of all, follow whats asked for in the job application.

FYI If your on Facebook either have a Private profile, or if not, be sure that the stuff on there is going to be taken in the right context. Some peoples pages are just terrible.

If you find a career path you're keen on, talk your application through with someone who can give you good advice. There are professionals out there for just this thing.
    I know CV writing isn't everyones cup of tea but theres lots of resources out there to help. Even bounce it off your Mum or Dad or someone you have faith in their judgement.
    Every little bit helps.
    Last edited by kiwijames; 11-07-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    jakewire, Wildman, Shootm and 11 others like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

SiB
    You are totally right on all counts! We have exactly the same problem.

Personally I think "unemployed" should be reprased "unemployable".

And before anyone bites I have experienced twelve months of life "in between jobs". And there is the distinction; too many put more effort into being different than considering how to sell themselves

Oh and hard life? Disadvantaged? Yeah right.

Now I'll make a cuppa and watch.......

But I absolutely endorse your constructive and helpful comments, and sincerely hope someone, somewhere "gets it". They'll be the one getting the job opportunity no doubt

Cuppa time
    stingray and mikee like this.

Every job I've got I got by asking to see the boss shaking his hand and introducing myself and telling him I'm looking for a job and what work I have done previous.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Every job I've got I got by asking to see the boss shaking his hand and introducing myself and telling him I'm looking for a job and what work I have done previous.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    I have been employed since I was 14 and never had a job interview or a cv😆

I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I had to start from fresh.

I applied for a position within my current company. They asked a question as to why I was the best person for the position.

I didn't have any answer other than I believed I had ample experience.

I didn't get the position because I didn't know STAR and couldn't talk myself up like the Aussie fella that got the role.
    The fella lasted 3 months. 😆
    I think HR is the biggest waste of time in any large company. Idiots hiring for roles they know nothing about.

I am a few pay grades above the position I applied for now. I now sometimes get to look a cvs and cover letters. I don't get much of a say other than on people I know.
    It amazes me some of the shit people say about themselves.

I rather do what Cam does and just meet and greet.
    My new job I start early next year didn't require a cv or interview either.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    sneeze, Wirehunt, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

man I must be lucky every interview ive had ended in when do you want to start
    Tommy likes this.

SiB
    I respect what you guys are saying when your credentials as a competent tradie or chopper pilot (for example) stand up strongly on their own.

It is when a person is lacking those credentials and wants to stand above the unemployable that these 101 guidelines could make the difference.

Don't get me wrong; I have a lot of respect for the guy who can push a broom all day and actually sweep up dust, or leaves or whatever. I bet he smiles too and is liked and respected by his colleagues.

I agree talking with an inexperienced HR person can be mind-numbing. Equally I have met some who's perceptiveness and ability to ask strong leading, and relevant questions was a wonderful learning experience for me

The position in question, and the specific employer must be considered. Unfortunately the nuances of differences between employers is as difficult to perceive by that unemployed person, as is sifting through the applicants by a manager.

I think we must also bear in mind that moving between employed positions, including promotional applications, is a different ball game than the pathway for the person with no current or recent employment history

R93
    Totally agree with ya SIB.
    As I said I wouldn't have a clue or get anywhere if I had to start from scratch.

veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I watched a video a few days ago and it was some guy talking with mike row from dirty jobs

Mike was saying a whole lot of things that made a lot of sense ill try find it tomorrow.

Basically he was saying about the loss of soft skills in the youth of today

Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

SiB
    Yes the concept of uniformity (eg not having a Mohawk haircut for an interview to many jobs), punctuality, hierarchical awareness and social protocols, as well as having a vocabulary that does NOT include "mate", "you'se", or "eh" is foreign to that unemployable population

Oh yes they rights! How silly of me!

So do I. To choose not to hire someone for whom the above qualities are proudly displayed as cultural icons.
    veitnamcam, mikee and Tommy like this.

SiB
    Yes the concept of uniformity (eg not having a Mohawk haircut for an interview to many jobs), punctuality, hierarchical awareness and social protocols, as well as having a vocabulary that does NOT include "mate", "you'se", or "eh" is foreign to that unemployable population

Oh yes they rights! How silly of me!

So do I. To choose not to hire someone for whom the above NEGATIVE qualities are proudly displayed as cultural icons.

SiB
    And I mean in an interview situation re vocabulary. I agree talking bogun to boguns (for example) has its place and value

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    You are totally right on all counts! We have exactly the same problem.

Personally I think "unemployed" should be reprased "unemployable".

And before anyone bites I have experienced twelve months of life "in between jobs". And there is the distinction; too many put more effort into being different than considering how to sell themselves

Oh and hard life? Disadvantaged? Yeah right.

Now I'll make a cuppa and watch.......

But I absolutely endorse your constructive and helpful comments, and sincerely hope someone, somewhere "gets it". They'll be the one getting the job opportunity no doubt

Cuppa time
    yes but wait till you near fifty and employers say you have all the skills we want and you have great experience then take on someone younger or less experience.been looking for new job for 7 months but getting fussy in my old age don't work for fwits any more and a lot of jobs that are available are because of the fwit in charge or the conditions/pay rate.

Back in the eighties I went over to oz , there was a panelbeating job advertised in the paper so I rang up. On the phone I told them I wasn't registered (over there panelbeaters had to be registered just like builders and plumbers etc) and that I was trained in NZ . Expecting to be told to bugger off or told to come see them, was instead told "start tomorrow" shortest easiest interview ever..... had to rush out and buy some tools tho.

Bus driver
    This thread is going to get very interesting...
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

To add.... when I had my own business a few years back all but one of my apprentices were fresh out of school ...the ones who school just didn't work for and could have ended up as unemployed as the never would have gone to uni , they all turned out to be great tradesmen. The one who wasn't fresh out of school was in his 20s holding a stop go sign on a road crew, he just walked in looking for something with a little more of a future, had no quals or experience. Gave him a shot cos he was making the effort. And that was another good investment for me . The ones who never got a look in were the ones whose mummy would ring up and see if I had a job for their son/daughter.....if you can't get out of bed and pound the streets then there no show
    Pointer, gadgetman, mikee and 3 others like this.