Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By Cordite

Thread: How to get a shed?

How to get a shed?

Was looking at a post here about slabs/posts to hold up sheds. I am planning to put one in my backyard, roughly like this one . Was hoping to DIY by buying the shed and putting it in the backyard. Not sure how it works though, do all sheds need concrete slabs or posts under them? If thats the case might get it done professionally

Don't bother with those ones or similar, they are made of tinfoil and spread themselves over 2acres of paddock with a semi strong westerly....

Would opt for a post and beam one and close the sides in with ply or t and g if I was replacing it. Was also looking at the Sheds NZ | Quality Timber Framed Kitset Buildings mobile animal shelters and see if it could be adapted.
    oneshot likes this.

You can build those onto a wooden floor which is usually fence palings (150x25) over 4x2s (100x50) all tanalised - 4x2's at around 300 spacing

They take two experienced people about a day all up and that framed version is probably stronger thhan the mega cheap nasty ones

If you want something stronger and less pretty start scouting Tardme for cheap corrugated iron and tanalised 12mm ply and make your own then paint the whole thing dark green and it disappears

2.7 x 2m high would be (very roughly)
    Corrugated iron second hand - mebbe 200?
    Ply sheeting for bracing two walls and the door - say 6 sheets 400
    Hinges screws etc around 150
    Concrete floor mix it yourself half cube mix and two bags cement $90
    10L Green fencepaint Mitre 10 $90
    100x50 framing mebbe 50m @20bucks per 5m stick is 200

Coastal Fasteners for screws and whatnot, don't get them at Bunnings

That kind of caper would be a fuckload stronger than what they are selling

Keep it under 10m sq floor area and it doesn't need Council approval - if nothing else I would strongly advise this

Also build it up on a small raised area of hardfill / gravel so that it doesn't want to flood

As you were

as already stated, don't waste your money on one of those cheap pieces of shit. you don't need a shed on a slab, you can use rock base compacted, but definitely use poles or posts cemented in the ground,
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Peg down black polythene sheeting between your posts. Stops moisture evaporating up into your shed from the ground.
    308 likes this.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Was looking at a post here about slabs/posts to hold up sheds. I am planning to put one in my backyard, roughly like this one . Was hoping to DIY by buying the shed and putting it in the backyard. Not sure how it works though, do all sheds need concrete slabs or posts under them? If thats the case might get it done professionally
    If you are looking at the tin sheds (and they have their uses) then try this outfit Hercules Shed 2.53 x 1.84 x 2m - Charcoal for a similar size or their biggest that is under council limits is still cheaper then M10..Garden Shed 4.19 x 2.66 x 2.13m

I biult my own with 3x2, corrogated iron and a concrete pad. Built my own windows, frames and trusses, then assembled it. I still need to do flashings around the exterior corners. If you are in canterbury, Stratco does fencing sheets for around $15 per sheet and you can get polycarbonate for around $10 per metre for a skylight.

Iv had a 4.5x3.45 shed like the one above for around 3 years they are really flimsy at first but once the roof go,s on frame is quite sturdy ,the iron attached to it(if you could call it that) is pretty shit, its pretty munted I got it to put hay in its a bitch for leaks pluss the horses rubbed there fat ass,s on a couple of panels & blew them in so had to fix with ply , pluss I replaced the ridging as well as the stock one is pretty small , they leak pretty bad on the edge as water comes up from the walls, if you do get one make it so the flaw is above the bottom edge...well price is good though
    This year will go down in history . For the first time a civilised nation has full gun registration . Our streets will be safer , our police more efficient , and the world follow our lead into the future" Adolf Hitler ,1935