Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Pointer
  • 6 Post By Tahr
  • 4 Post By mikee
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Hunting from Horses

Caretaker

Hunting from Horses

Has anyone here used Horses to hunt from or would like to in the future ?

I have always liked the temperament of black Clydesdales

gadgetman likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

In my younger day (read slimmer) we used to get out pig hunting fortnightly without fail.
    One place we went to we used horses to get to the back of the farm.
    Dogs took off so left horses happily on top of a ridge and went after dogs.

Got that pig and then the dogs took off again. Ended up a couple of k from where we left the nags so had to eventually backtrack to retrieve them - mostly uphill of course.
    Last time we used horses...

SiB
    I used my thoroughbred a lot many years ago. Mind you he was getting plenty of work, was bombproof and steady. I used to sight in across the horse paddock and invariably he'd wander across to check out the targets... Yes I've fired from the saddle too. Carry out waaaay easier. Could be noisy as bush bashing and it didn't seem to disturb pigs or deer

Used the cuzzies ones up the east coast a bit. There was one legend there called 'gluepot' who was as tough as they come when it came to packing out animals. If you rode him he would speed up under low trees and try and take you out he used to charge his owner in the paddock until he got him square between the eyes overhead with a fence baton, then they were mates again. I've seen him at a full gallop with 3 whole pigs and a whole deer carcass on him. Like it wasn't there
    Tommy likes this.

We still do a bit. Its a great way to hunt. Quiet and relaxing (thats when you are not on your arse or your ear). I don't ride regularly any more, so it can be a bit hard on the body for the first couple of days.
    The foxy caught the pig but couldn't hold it, so I shot it between the eyes, hence the pointing.

Last edited by Tahr; 28-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    jakewire, gadgetman, R93 and 3 others like this.

Like the shadow photo

In the late 80ís cousin and I started hunting. Read R&R, bought rifles, and went for a week long walkabout in the Ureweras. Woke up one icy morning at Midway hut and went for a walk along the flats.
    Never seen a deer before let alone knowing what we were doing. Bushes started moving, something big coming towards us, look at each other, rifles up, shaking, looking at each other smiling in fear, possum trapper and his horse break through the bush. Phew

Please be careful out there on horses. Fortunately turned out for the better.

Coincidently it was the brother in law of a guy I ended up working with 10 years ago

When I was shepherding in Eketahuna a few moons ago we did all our deer hunting and pig chasing from horseback.
    It was always amazing how close you could get to deer on horseback.
    I still enjoyed walking more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought that using a horse instead of a motorbike would be a bloody good idea. If you "drowned" the horse then obviously you had bigger issues than the depth of the river crossing
    Kiwi Greg, stingray, BRADS and 1 others like this.

If I was to hunt from a horse it would not be very successful, the constant sneezing would scare the deer and withing about an hour both my eyes would be swollen shut.

Hunting with cats would have the same result and even a big one would struggle to carry me
    stingray, Taff and stumpy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

P38
    My old man hunted with a horse all the time.

He mostly used the horse to pack gear in and animals out.

Like has been said, it's amazing how close you can get to game animals while sitting on a horse.

Cheers
    Pete
    stumpy likes this.

Hunted on a horse quite a lot in the Tokoroa pines. Horse would quite often pick up pig scent before the dogs. And the dogs weren't that bad.
    Deer will often stick around and have a good look at you on a horse too.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If I was to hunt from a horse it would not be very successful, the constant sneezing would scare the deer and withing about an hour both my eyes would be swollen shut.

Hunting with cats would have the same result and even a big one would struggle to carry me
    Shit If i had known that I would have sneaked a cat into your pack then at least I might have a chance at shooting something
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Did a lot of hunting "with me orse", in the 60--80s, saw some marvellous country, did some massive carries in the meat hunting era, nobody minded where you went with yer horse in those days, DOC are absolutely paranoid about horses now, rode through the backcountry behind the Army land, no wonder they wanted to thin the wild horses out a bit---there were hundreds of them, saw over 90 in one valley--they did look great though,
    If you have access to use horses, then they're great for hunting, as it's been said, deer don't take a lot of notice of horses, can still get access up the Whakatane river, but sadly, me back won't let me frig round with horses anymore. The ride up the Whakatane would have to be one of the most picturesque rides in the country. In late summer it's magic. I really do miss it a lot now!