Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hydronic in-slab heating

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Hydronic in-slab heating

Hydronic in-slab heating - whos got it and what do you think of it?

Any installers/designers here?

if you talking underfloor heating using hot water.....big sis did it to thier new home and its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you talking underfloor heating using hot water.....big sis did it to thier new home and its awesome.
    Yip thats the one.
    Thinking about it in new build

I service buildings with it in but never installed it, I thinks it’s the way to go though. Next best thing is hot water radiators. What are you planning to heat it with, natural gas?
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

the Romans did it with hot air..... sis can heat with solar/wetback on coal range or electricity.......the solar does the job 99% of the time. they have long skinny house and slate floors in dining room....you sure couldnt call it cold.
    she is in the waikato...from memory they had to jump through a few hoops trying to explain concept to the dipsticks at council.

Heat pump and maybe + solar
    Although what Ive read that using solar with it is no good, and I cant make any sense of that, given that the water temp isnt that high, and from what I can gather, the circulated water is 35*
    Surely free heating of the HW cylinder during the day has to take load off the heatpump?

The issue with solar, is as the panel has to be hotter than the water to transfer heat, so the hotter the water in the tank the less efficient they are. During winter when you need it efficiency drops off. You get better returns using solar for potable hot water in summer. Heat pumps work all year night and day especially in Wellington where we don’t get many freezing winter nights.
    Puffin and WallyR like this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

It’s bloody good and is also very effective at reducing/removing mould.

I can’t believe it’s not more widely adopted.

We have it down stairs in a second lounge/entrance , bathroom and 2 bedrooms. Closed loop with a glycol type fluid through the 360 liter hot water cylinder.. Works but takes a LOT of heat to get the floors up to desired temp but it is a good sized area. The solar tubes wont go anywhere near keeping up on there own. We are off grid with 6kw PV that will power the 3kw cyclinder element when the batteries are full but the best heating is the forenzo fire with a 5kw coil in the top section of the fire box.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men Sir Douglas Bader.

Hydronic in-slab heating

Plan was to run say 300l hot water cylinder with heat pump coil, solar coil and underfloor coil, thus summer time solar doing majority of HW with Heat pump top up, and in winter with the central heating on, solar HW taking some load off the HP
    Will be in Canterbury so a bit more sun that wellie lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spanners; 31-03-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Its definitely the way to go if you can. The high thermal mass of the slab means you can pump the heat in while youre generating power during the day and it will release slowly overnight. Best option from what Ive heard is photovoltaics powering an air-to-water heatpump HWC. Basically means you use your HWC and slab as a battery. PM me if you need more info - Im an architectural designer

Ive got a 300l mains pressure hw tank with twin coils,one hooked to a wetback, and the other for future solar. Its way too complicated, expensive to set up and having to use tempering valves on it spoils the efficiency of it ,and we still run out of hot water (2 kids and 2 adults ) id just get a gas rinnai if i did it again. I have underfloor piping , but havent got it all hooked up yet. pretty easy to lay on the mesh yourself if you like a bit of diy. I would run it off a hot water heat pump powered by solar panels as mopheadrob suggested.
    Last edited by ANOTHERHUNTER; 31-03-2019 at 09:14 PM.

I have it in my place, it’s bloody good. All my floors are concrete and the system is set to 20 degrees, mine is powered by a diesel boiler which also heats the pool. The control panel with the circulation pump is installed in a wall cavity in a large closet up stairs. You have to be bloody careful when the walls go up to make sure the builder doesn’t fire Ramset nail or drill a hole thru the plastic pipe cable tied to your reinforcing mesh.
    My place is 400m2 and cosy as in winter, mind you it’s Central Auckland which might cop two frosts a year if you are unlucky. The only regret I have is I should have connected it to the hot water cylinder.
    Spanners likes this.

I looked at when we built but it was pretty pricey, quoted over $20k+ (that buys a lot of power) we just upped the insulation to a high standard and went LED lights, couple decent heat pumps.

It would be nice if it was a bit cheaper to install.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

subterranean heat pump and coils in the floor (non water filled) is the most efficient