Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: I am interested in your opinions and experiences with building

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

I am interested in your opinions and experiences with building

After a great deal of looking since selling the farm in April we have finally found a small block of land that we are buying and now we are contemplating the design of a new home that we will build. We built our last home eighteen years ago and used a national brand building franchise operator and were not entirely happy with the outcome as it took much longer to build than the expectation that we were given and unbeknown to us the project manager also actually stole from us and we ended up in court some years later.

Accordingly, this time around I am considering using a smaller local builder rather than a big name franchise builder but I have no experience of engaging a local builder and would like to know the pros and cons of doing so.

If you have an opinion (good or bad) between large national branded franchise builders and small local builders I would be interested to know.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Have you settled on a design? Or are you looking at a building company to sort the lot for you?

I have plenty of opinions on christchurch builders, group home and non group but probably not all that relevant to you up in the big smoke!

Engage a good small local builder who will work on site, and not sub contract, with a large building company you will get poorly paid contractors working as fast as they can to make a dollar while someone at the top is making the money, they employ a suitably qualified person to sign off their jobs, this guy could be managing 10 builds!
    I think they have made the building industry worse than it was. With the local builder you will form a relationship with the person who counts. Make sure you have a good agreement, with start and finish dates. Ask about his sub contractors and check them out, most small builders will have good subbies. I'd do the plans for you but after completing about a 1000 house plans in NZ I'm now not qualified! that's my opinion, had a bloody good builder here yesterday, pity your in Auck!
    Munsey, Pengy, Scouser and 3 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Have you settled on a design? Or are you looking at a building company to sort the lot for you?
    We have ideas for a design and I have drawn some birds eye view outline sketches. A one stop shop would be preferable Gibo but would consider other ways of doing it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Il talk to my brother. He works at Davista in Tauranga as an architect and they do lots of work for Generation homes. Id look at them for sure.

Have a good friend who's a architectural designer if you need one. Now you have to have plans done by CAD and by a qualified person.
    If you go to a one stop shop ask how many leaky homes they've had and how they have been resolved, also make sure he hasn't hived down and restarted the company. There's one here in Tauranga that's done that and trades on with the same name but 2012 Ltd after it. Walked away but trades on!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

They built to council specs, yet they are solely to blame Maca?

Houses need eaves and roofs with fall in them.
    I Blame the architects !

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

I've designed and built 8 houses for myself over the years Gibo, I haven't had a leaky home. I struggle with the concept of building companies being own and run the way they are, as are real estate agencies. You need a suitably qualified an experienced person on site at all times. Houses today a chucked together as fast as possible to turn over the money, quality in my opinion comes second. My daughter and her husband recently bought a house in the upper range, I was appalled at some of the crap out there built by larger companies.
    Finally bought one built by a small builder who did nearly everything himself, it's in a different league, it's a subject that gets me going! Talked with the a lady I know at the council, she's been involved since the early Wayne Wellington days, she said the probs coming through are as bad as they've every been just my opinion, next time I build I'll be the main contractor again to keep control.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Houses need eaves and roofs with fall in them.
    I Blame the architects !

It's the fucken welders!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I don't weld the outside of houses. To hard to get a decent earth

Pengy and subs like this.

I agree on the big building company's tho. I have seen some appalling Shit.
    A lot of the good builders are doing the awkward renovations now as most people want a million dollar house for 200grand.

What is the longest distance you can achieve on your new block?

My mother built a house a few years back and just paid a local builder a hourly rate and he organised the subbies, materials etc. Apparantly the quality of the build was right up there and cost the same as a large building company.

I don't know bugger all about building houses, still trying to save for the opportunity.
    Maca49 likes this.

We built our bunker approx 3 years ago, the misses being a tight arse wanted 3 prices but I only wanted one particular builder on the job from the start. He wasn't the cheapest price but managed to a massage of the numbers so he looked good over a National wide franchise.

The builder we chose was bloody good to deal with and since building our house I have used him at work building the odd Service Station.

I did all the earthworks and piling myself, excavated 600m3 and drilled cast insitu about 40 odd concrete piles.

The one bit of advise I can give you is put the brakes on the cook, they will send you broke. The problem being if left alone to talk to the kitchen manufacturer, floor covering people, curtain lady and the furniture shop you will be broke in no time. They like the top shelf stuff.

The other thing to think about is your current furniture, 9 times out of 10 it won't go in your new place, ours didn't. We probably spent
    $250k over budget but came out really good.

Make sure you design it with a bloody big MAN Cave, give her a nice kitchen, big walkin wardrobe, Flash Harry ensuite with a Bidet and a decent laundry and I'm sure she won't give a rats what you do with the rest.
    Munsey, Pengy, Maca49 and 2 others like this.