Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 5 Post By Toby
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 2 Post By Feral

Thread: I hate wood

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

I hate wood

Well not all wood but framing timber. I am certain I never want to be a builder.
    It twists, it bows, it warps, it cracks, its dusty too. It does everything bar be straight. Give me steel any day.
    How on earth a builder can ever put together a house that even vaguely looks straight is beyond me.

I have to agree, tho iv yet to see a house that is straight or plum or square that's probably why.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Anyone else think this thread was gonna be a funny story about the morning type of wood?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Anyone else think this thread was gonna be a funny story about the morning type of wood?
    Its the cook that doesn't appreciate "that" wood @Toby
    Toby likes this.

Name:  Wood.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  39.0 KB
    I knew saving this to the phone would come in handy
    P38, veitnamcam, Bryan and 2 others like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Its the cook that doesn't appreciate "that" wood @Toby
    James ya just gotta get stuck in before she's fully awake.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have to agree, tho iv yet to see a house that is straight or plum or square that's probably why.
    Come and have a look at a couple I have been involved with, high end flash stuff
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Yep timber over steel anytime IMHO, get decent timber and I'll stay straight, what a hassle changing design, wall etc in steel, yuk.
    Good builders, build, square, plumb and straight houses, problem is finding a skilled one these days, but I think most trades suffer from the same problem
    moonhunt and mikee like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Timber for sure. Steel fine if you aint gonna frig with it again once she's up. You gotta get steel right too (talking cold rolled sections here, not commercial / shopped stuff). You spin that tek screw in and she's in, gotta get it right first or 2nd time at the most. Timber framing you can pack & whack to square it.
    moonhunt and Maca49 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Timber for sure. Steel fine if you aint gonna frig with it again once she's up. You gotta get steel right too (talking cold rolled sections here, not commercial / shopped stuff). You spin that tek screw in and she's in, gotta get it right first or 2nd time at the most. Timber framing you can pack & whack to square it.
    If I went to steel and tube I'm sure I'm not going to get 100 x 50 with a warp or twist or buckled or bow or knot and I'm sure as shit if I did and took it up with the guy selling if he won't just shrug his shoulders and say "thems the breaks, that's how we get it"
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Na actually steel is usually bent as well I forget the specs but tolerance from the mill is fairly large and then you have forklifts etc and long lengths won't support there own weight from the middle.
    Rhs/shs is usually pretty good but ub uc and pfc can be a long way out you straighten as you fab and any two lengths never have the same form so a welded join always looks a bit gay.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    If I went to steel and tube I'm sure I'm not going to get 100 x 50 with a warp or twist or buckled or bow or knot and I'm sure as shit if I did and took it up with the guy selling if he won't just shrug his shoulders and say "thems the breaks, that's how we get it"
    Yep true there, but if you get a flatpack of precut steel and some muppet has put his forks into it or she's been dropped, then it all comes down to where in the country you are in relation to the factory / where they roll it. generally each company only has one factory and its either in the North or the South island. Not both. pick any number of local yards for the replacement hundy by fiddy you need.