Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Koshogi

Thread: Immigration , and bringing my firearms with me ???

Immigration , and bringing my firearms with me ???

Hey Guys ,

in the last stretch of immigrating to NZ from SA , and i would like to find out from those in the know , whats the procedures to bringing my guns with me .

i have spoken to a couple different people regarding this , but all the answers are conflicting , is there anybody on the forum that has experience in this aspect , or with a in-depth legal knowledge of the NZ firearms laws .

i have considered selling everything and buying again , but some of my guns are specials , and the one is a heirloom .

Please assist .

thanks in advance

Do you have a New Zealand firearms, licence ?
    Failing that a trusted friend, that can take position of your firearms, until you do,

You need apply for an import permint from NZ police, Likely an export permint from SA.
    I am in this process at the moment, and have bought back firearms from Canada, but I have a NZ firearms licence.

From the NZ Police website
    www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms/visitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits
    New immigrants
    You should leave all firearms in your country of origin until you have gained a New Zealand firearms licence and a Permit to Import. It is possible to make arrangements to bring your firearms with you before getting a licence and import permit, but this carries the risk that the firearms will be destroyed without compensation if you fail for some reason to obtain the licence or the permit.

If you want to bring firearms direct into New Zealand, obtain (before you leave home) advice from the New Zealand Arms Control (Response & Operations).

Don't forget pistols are treated differently here in NZ, as well as a pistol grip on a semi-auto.

Just send them to me (as long as they are not 7mm-08) and I will look after them

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Just send them to me (as long as they are not 7mm-08) and I will look after them
    I'll look after any 7mm-08s you might have....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

What is in the Police Arms Manual and on the website is only their opinion. They don't have the best track required in regards to interpreting the Arms Act.

You can obtain a Visitors Licence upon arrival if you intend to reside in NZ for 1 year or less. That Visitors Licence also acts as your Import Permit.

You will be required to list an approved storage location. That location can change if you install an approved safe at your new residence. You must notify NZ Police of a change of address, even for a Visitors Licence.

You can apply for a standard Firearms Licence if you change your mind and decide to remain in NZ.

It is still a gamble. Visitors Licence are a "may issue" as opposed to a "shall issue" for a regular Licence.

Another option is for a friend to apply for an Import Permit and takes custody of them upon your arrival at the airport.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Tommy likes this.

I brought mine from the UK on a visitors license which you can obtain before leaving, then you have twelve months to obtain a license, we were told that they would not allow rifles to be collected at the airport even with a import license.