Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Info needed on painting houses, inside and out.

Info needed on painting houses, inside and out.

We're not far off needing to paint our house and got a couple of quote from painters, they wanted 10k+ just to paint the inside.

I've decided that I'm going to do it myself. Is it worth giving it a go with a spray gun? I know how to spray can paint without getting runs, it can't be too hard can it?

Am I better off using brushes and rollers?

Does Hardies Linea need an undercoat? How many coats inside and out? Advice on paint to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    We're not far off needing to paint our house and got a couple of quote from painters, they wanted 10k+ just to paint the inside.

I've decided that I'm going to do it myself. Is it worth giving it a go with a spray gun? I know how to spray can paint without getting runs, it can't be too hard can it?

Does Hardies Linea need an undercoat? How many coats inside and out? Advice on paint to use?
    I'm all for the DIY thing but sometimes it's better to stick to what you know! I wont build a house now if the clients want to paint it them self's.
    Philipo and Steve123 like this.

Pengy likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    @Pengy give this man the benefit of your wisdom. Hell get of your tail feathers and whip up to Whangarei and show him.
    Philipo likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

I would leave the airless spraying to someone who knows what they are doing personally.
    Buy good quality brushes etc and take your time.
    Linea needs to be spot primed over the filler, followed by at least 2 coats of quality exterior. Dulux or Resene will cost a bit more than the usual diy choices but it is worth it. Keep in mind that deep colours will show up inperfections, so the prep has to be 100%
    Number of coats is a bit debateable , but a minimum of one sealer, followed by two top coats.
    Ten grand may be a big number, but trust me, if you diy it and get it wrong, it will cost a hell of lot more to fix it
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Fuk where do ya start, maybe "how longs a piece of string" lol

Is it new or old, wooden window frames, condition etc as for spraying it out - walls & ceilings the same colour yes it can be done & if done right look great.

As screamO said, amazes me that people pay 100's of thousands of dollars building a house then try to save a few thou on the bit that matters & everyone see's by painting it themselves, most of the time it looks like shit & they end up resenting their new home because they're working all hours teying to get it finished. . Funniest thing is by the end some have actually become quite good on the brush lol
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Fuk where do ya start, maybe "how longs a piece of string" lol

Is it new or old, wooden window frames, condition etc as for spraying it out - walls & ceilings the same colour yes it can be done & if done right look great.

As screamO said, amazes me that people pay 100's of thousands of dollars building a house then try to save a few thou on the bit that matters & everyone see's by painting it themselves, most of the time it looks like shit & they end up resenting their new home because they're working all hours teying to get it finished. . Funniest thing is by the end some have actually become quite good on the brush lol
    It's a new build, Linea exterior. Been mostly DIY this far and I'd like to keep it up. All one colour inside. In no hurry so won't be a rush job.

Spraying worth giving a go or stick with brushes and rollers?

OK, so you will need to dust down / soft broom off all the gib, then mask up everything windows etc etc etc, all nail holes in skirtings etc need filling / sanding. For applying gib sealer spraying is the only way to go & don't be shy it's high build so is meant to be put on fairly heavy ( this gives the best base for your top coats ) then let dry, sand all areas & then run a light over all walls'n'ceilings twice filling / sanding any dents etc ( this is crucial for a good finish ) Then spray out the ceiling & inside wardrobes, brush'n'roll walls or spray out everything with an egg shell finish.

If you know someone who is a painter, do the prep & get them to spray it out & only use premium topcoats, the small extra cost is worth it.

There's a reason painter's charge abit, it's because painting is a time consuming cunt of a job ( & yes painting out an entire house takes along time to do properly ) but we are no where as much as a rip off as tilers, fuk me they bend people over
    Savage1 likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

and Plumbers
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Philipe and Pengy are on it there Savage1. The light on filler is a must if spraying. As spraying will show up imperfections.
    You could spray the bottom coats, then change to a roller for top coats.
    Also if spraying your masking up must be spot on, over spray is a bitch to get off!
    Just another thing to add. The higher the sheen in the paint the more prep you need to do. Door frames and doors use a two PAC filler, our something that's not going to fall out our crack the first time the door gets slammed.
    New roller sleeves I chuck in the washing machine to get rid of there fluff.
    With your brushes try to only wipe your brush on one side of your paint kettle!!! This will give you the other side to lean your paint brush on, thus keeping your brushes handle clean, which means you keep your hands clean! keep a wet edge this is most important to stop flashing our shady areas in the finish.
    When painting and if you have a load of sand flys and insects around try to keep the windows closed, if one lands in the paint WAIT till its dry before getting him out. Unless your right there and painting.
    Good luck.
    Marty Henry likes this.

It ain't difficult, listen to the Penguin, you cant employ him if it's a 2400 stud!
    Good qual paint and brushes, spend time on prep, then more time on prep! I'm usining Valspar on home and Dulux on the Bach, both awesome products. Don't use Resene anymore, especially on the exterior, found even white chalks after a short time.
    The new paints are so easy to use, and experiment with roller covers there's some excellent products.
    I use the PAL or similar cutting in brush with the long handle for all my brush work!
    Good luck it will drive you nuts but worth it. I've fully paint about 8 new houses in my life for myself.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If you do decide to give it a go spraying, dust is your enemy #1. In fact, treat dust as just that throughout the entire process. I have seen a top end paint job destroyed when a site agent opened an exterior door when work was in progress. It cost $$$$$$$$ to fix up
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I have to scaffold anything above 2,4 stud
    Maca49 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Savage1, Pengy and Marty Henry like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You know what they say about great minds GM.. I was just thinking of that episode.
    gadgetman likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms