Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Insurance claim advice

Insurance claim advice

Hi everyone, I'm after a bit of "bush advice" on how to proceed with an insurance claim that is under way.

Had some guy turn in front of me on my green light (from the non-turning lane opposite me). I wrote off his car and he admitted liability so the prado has been in getting repaired at my insurance company's preferred repairer (gold star rated or some sh*t).

I am now three weeks in for this wee fender bender and was told "next week"... "next week" etc by the repairer the two times I have spoken to them. From the initial claim phone call and the initial contact with the repairer I clearly stated that I wanted to have an after market bar replace the factory bumper. This was recorded on my file by the insurer at the time of the claim and confirmed when my claim was handed off to another claims manager. I also stated it to the lovely lady who called me from the repairer when my vehicle was being picked up for assessment.

I hadn't heard anything after a week so I called the repairer who said the factory bumper had already been ordered. I called the insurer who called the repairer but she never called me back so I went in another week later and the repairer again said that the factory bumper had been ordered and said it was too late now. My vehicle was in the shop but no work had been started on it at this point. The repairer said "next week" when it was to have been ready by the time I visited that day.

The next day I sent a written (email) complaint to the claim manager asking for an explanation as to why no one was following my requests regarding my repair and no one was informing me of this. A week today (three weeks total) and I have not yet had even an acknowledgment from the insurer, nor a courtesy call from the repairer when my vehicle was to be ready this week. Now it may be ready tomorrow; they still have one day left in the week... but I'm not hopeful.

Anyone here savvy with insurance processes / claims? Three weeks for a bumper and bonnet seems a bit over the top, but I can accept it. The thing that is really getting me is the lack of communication and the disinterest in me wanting to be partially paid out (ie the factory bumper) so I can put it towards an MCC or ARB instead.

Any advice? I'm inclined to not accept the work if I turn up and it hasn't been done as I requested. Am I being unreasonable or missing the mark here? The only time anyone has contacted me from the repairer or insurer was to confirm pick up of the vehicle (repairer) and to introduce herself as my claim manager (insurer).

Name:  20170713_102223.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  20170713_102210.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  1.07 MB

Three weeks and little to no communication is bollocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Because of your insurer monopoly of the market and their instance on telling you where to get your car repaired (which is not legal or binding on you ) they have created an industry in which they have pushed to much work on their selected repairers non preferred repairer have been quietly closing the doors and there is a huge shortfall in qualified panelbeaters out there due to the state of the industry and the demise of the apprenticeships as us old fellas new them in favour of a new system which takes the employers control away. Demand to get your truck out of there to someone who can do the job aligned or non aligned the choice is yours who repairs it. Call CRA get advise from them don't let those insurance arseholes push you around remind them YOU PAY THEIR WAGES!.

Oh and ask to talk to the assessor , they get shitty when they have to sort out these problems for the claims handlers. The other thing is claims records all calls so there will be a record of every interaction so don't lose your cool with the handler they get paid shit money and generally cop it from all sides.

Thanks @scotty. All calm and polite so far. Good point about the assessor. I have asked for the repairer's scope of work / quote to the insurer already. I'll ask about the assessor today.

Ta

https://www.collisionrepair.co.nz/ have a look at the survey of insurers see where yours (IAG) sits. Rated below average they are not very well liked in the industry but they control a huge chunk of the market and with it the industry. The only industry where you quote a job and the customer (inurance co) say no I will pay you this much and you will accept it. What would a builder o plumber say after his quote was not accepted but he will get paid 20% less and be grateful for that..... I imagine it would be "FUCK OFF" so the panelbeater is stuck doing high volume for minimal profit can't afford to pay high wages can't attract staff ......

Think I've finished my rant now..... maybe..... I really despise the insurance industry..... mongrels the lot of them.
    mikee, Feral and bigbear like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    https://www.collisionrepair.co.nz/ have a look at the survey of insurers see where yours (IAG) sits. Rated below average they are not very well liked in the industry but they control a huge chunk of the market and with it the industry. The only industry where you quote a job and the customer (inurance co) say no I will pay you this much and you will accept it. What would a builder o plumber say after his quote was not accepted but he will get paid 20% less and be grateful for that..... I imagine it would be "FUCK OFF" so the panelbeater is stuck doing high volume for minimal profit can't afford to pay high wages can't attract staff ......

Think I've finished my rant now..... maybe..... I really despise the insurance industry..... mongrels the lot of them.
    That report is good info... FMG seems well regarded by comparison. I was surprised to see Tower so low as I was considering them as my new insurer. I'll vote with my cash, that's for sure. https://s3.collisionrepair.co.nz/201...urvey-2016.pdf

We have been with AMI for a longtime and nominated our own repairer when needed. This has included the many free windshield replacements. No issues and work done on time, though we did reject one paint job on the spare wheel cover. (Rav rear mounted). They re-did it; no hassles.
    JoshC likes this.

I chose this repairer as their top preferred one on their short list. This is the second time this year dealing with the insurer has been unsatisfactory. Earlier in the year my repairer couldn't get hold of my claim manager and range me frustrated asking me to get them to approve their quote / estimate for the repairs. Again it was about a 3 week turn around on a 3 day job because of poor communication and claim management from the insurer.

Change insurers. Be upfront with new insurer but ask the questions like: "What is your communication-with-client policy".

LOC
    i have no relevant advice on your actual issue sorry - but there is a lot to be said about using a good insurance broker and bundle up all your insurances with them. i use different brokers for both the business and personal and truly believe they are price competitive (because we price check) but the main upside is you have someone who knows the ropes and lingo, can have 'off the record' conversations with claims mangers about certain scenarios before you put in a formal claim and they can also fight a lot more effectively the you can with scenarios like you are experiencing now by knowing the right people or approaches etc. both the brokers i use have added some serious value with certain claims over the past few years.
    Feral likes this.

No airbags deploy?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    No airbags deploy?
    No. I was surprised as well but then the sensors are back from the crash bar itself, where the high density polystyrene took the bulk of the energy after the brakes on the wet road did what little they could...

I've tried to attach the video from the dash cam for the voyeurs out there.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5983a8c3...vidcompact.mp4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

the panelbeater who has your car being a gold shop is supposed to give regular updates it in his contract with IAG he is probably overloaded with work which he's not getting paid enough to do stressed out to the max wondering why he bothers being in the trade just treading water financially due to the complaining costs and insurance company demands but won't throw in the towel because he doesn't want to leave his workers in the lurch. I've been there and I made the hard decision and glad I did now
    Feral likes this.

I would recommend fmg as the best insurer but premiums are higher. using a broker is good too even tho you might end up with the same insure you get treated better. tower has the cheapest car insurance they are good to deal with if they ever answer the phone