Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 40mm

Thread: Insurance query

Insurance query

Just about to renew my home/contents insurance and was wondering if I need to advice the insurer that I now have firearms at home or just list them because of the individual value?
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

"There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."

I've ever been asked and haven't volunteered the information.... Have moved all my reloading stuff to the (locked) shed having heard that it is an excuse not to pay out in case of a fire.

Im a bit worried that if i tell the insurance company then some ass hole might tell their cousie to come take my shit when im at work....
    mikee likes this.
    Use enough gun

I notified them that I have powder etc in the house or shed and gave a generous amount that even though would never be there that it could be as far as they were concerned. Figured I'd cover my arse and not give them an out on a claim. From the reaction I got not many people do have that written in. I do know it's hard to get good compensation for firearms as they class them as sporting goods and they devalue them a lot. This is going from people I've talked to who have had them stolen.I'm not sure if they'll even list them individually from other contents either. Could be useful to at least give them serial numbers and brands/models depending on there value. Probably not a $100 stirling .22 but a 4k sako or something is a different story when it comes to arguing over replacement value with the insurer.

As r87mm said. Ask about the policy around "sporting goods" originally my insurance was 50% devaluation of any sporting goods. I had to pay extra 20 (i think) a month to get full replacement. This now includes all my gear. Boots, clothing, packs etc. Its alot of money to have invested even at the lower end of the spectrum. I take a photo of the receipt and goods of anything semi important now and have that sorted on my mega account long with serial numbers etc etc. Even photo 2nd hand hunting gear or other important items. A friend gave an itemized a list of items that got stolen and the insurance company wanted proof he owned it all. Only got paid out on a fraction of it. This is the last thing i want to happen, like most people i have spent years slowly building my hunting gear. Still have alot of expensive items i want to add to it too.

I did it all through a broker and spoke with him about what i had and what got included on the policy. So im not too worried about info being leaked to undesirables. Also think about the valuable stuff that people will have on their polices, Alot bigger fish to target than my small account.
    Last edited by Nugget connaisseur; 17-02-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Ensure also if you insure your firearms and h7nting gear that it's actually covered while in the field, no use paying to insure your stuff just in case it gets stolen or your house burns down then you go out hunting and drop your rifle into a river and it's not covered. It's scary once you have been hunting for a while and built up a bit of decent kit just how many dollars you are dragging up and down and through all sorts of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    . It's scary once you have been hunting for a while and built up a bit of decent kit just how many dollars you are dragging up and down and through all sorts of shit.
    O so true, worked out that what is going to be inside my new truck is actually going to be worth than the vehicle....

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    O so true, worked out that what is going to be inside my new truck is actually going to be worth than the vehicle....
    Recently had that same issue with mine, accessories and gear carried valued at 2K more than replacement value of the vehicle.
    We are still waiting to get a resolution as to cover from Insurance Company. Looking at moving insurance to Barleys soon if nothing from current Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Ensure also if you insure your firearms and h7nting gear that it's actually covered while in the field, no use paying to insure your stuff just in case it gets stolen or your house burns down then you go out hunting and drop your rifle into a river and it's not covered. It's scary once you have been hunting for a while and built up a bit of decent kit just how many dollars you are dragging up and down and through all sorts of shit.

Hmm my policy is up for renewal soon ill check then, i didn't think about checking that.

Got the "replace with new" deal, should probably have a look at what is and isn't covered
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah man I locked in my Stella and my 223 as listed items hasnt cost me anymore,

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Im a bit worried that if i tell the insurance company then some ass hole might tell their cousie to come take my shit when im at work....
    that would be my only major concern as well.
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

"There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."