Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Internet "service" providers

Angry Internet "service" providers

I fucking hate Spark.

The company has to go down as the most inept telco in the country. Not only do I have to deal with their abysmal business service but their home user service is equally appalling. A while ago when the Telecom DNS issue occurred, my internet's downlink dropped in speed by about 10Mbps and it has since never returned to the previous speed.

I reported this, with dates that the problem occurred, a description of my home configuration (I've only 1 device physically connected to the router) and also sent them detailed information on the router type, current line speed, attenuation - basically everything possible that I could provide in order for them to investigate, diagnose and remediate the problem.

What happens? My complaint isn't even acknowledged let alone investigated - I'm simply sent a replacement router, which unsurprisingly, makes fuck all difference. Coupled with that they've for whatever reason gone and reset my wife's email password which means a call to their (un)help desk.

I've had enough, I am going to switch providers but to whom? My criteria:

* VDSL provider (can't get fibre in my area)
    * When you phone to report a problem it gets investigated, not simply fobbed off with replacement equipment

I'm interested to hear your experiences?
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Only one word to say Ryan. Semaphore
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I doubt you will get much better elsewhere. I'm with Telstra (now Vodafone) and they are regularly voted as best ISP. They are good, until you have a problem then you end up in a similar scenario.
    P38 and CZ Lux like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

I joined paradise back in the very late 90s ..... stayed with them when they changed to Telstra ..... then to Vodafone ..... paradise was awesome service , Telstra .... shit service ..... Vodafone , ... very average service ...... I still stay loyal to the ip I joined .... no idea why .... I just fukin hate change ... I worked for telecom in the late 80s .... I was in the first round of redundeces whe the yanks bought em .... so fuk them ....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I doubt you will get much better elsewhere. I'm with Telstra (now Vodafone) and they are regularly voted as best ISP. They are good, until you have a problem then you end up in a similar scenario.
    Yeah I suspect you're right, moving somewhere else will just be more of the same.

The last time I experienced a technical fault it took me weeks of jumping up and down and having to repeat my story ad nauseam each time I phoned. Eventually a technician was dispatched with the threat of "if there's nothing found, you'll need to pay".

A fault (2 in fact) were found at exchange and the problem was eventually resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Only one word to say Ryan. Semaphore
    Can you teach me?

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I joined paradise back in the very late 90s ...
    The irony of an ISP calling themselves such.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

I just moved from Slingshot and would issue a word of caution. Do not go near them, you think Spark is bad wait till you try these buggers. If you find you are not getting anywhere use their facebook page, that has returned better results for me time and time again. It would appear that social media is the way to hit them hard, no company likes bad reviews. In moving recently i ad to try and find out who owned the telco lines in the area, apparently orcon do well but you will only get an internet land line. They have however got "global mode" so you can access a whole lot more. I would say that there is not one telco in NZ that stands head and shoulders above others. Sometimes it is better the devil you know.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Woosh is allso rubbish isp

I am with inspire net great local company great service etc just not very wide reaching
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

After 17 years in Telco Ryan the one thing I'm sure of is that you need to ensure your ISP has the technical solution sorted as a baseline, then has the option to differentiate on service and buy into the fact that they are going to make service their branded experience.

As you pointed out you need VDSL - which means you need a vendor that has cabinet-isation at the local exchange, good backhaul nationally and locally back to their local proxy and CDN servers and then good international contracts for bandwidth on Southern Cross to the States where 90+ % of your content and data passes through. Oh not to mention good local loop copper in the ground to your home. Distance from your local exchange will make a difference.

Once you've found a ISP that has all of this and resolution times and good SLA's with its backhaul provider and chorus (who run 90%) of the exchanges anyway and sometimes there's a service gap in service provision from the cabinet to where it comet from the cabinet cross connects to the optical interface connection (National fibre back haul) that slows the whole process anyway.

Then you've got to find someone who actually takes service and service issue resolution seriously. That's not easy as that's the bit other than the blinking lights that costs money to the business every day. Some outsource it, some run their own centers, some run business class services (with a business price tag attached) it then is down to what you want and how much you're prepared to pay. But I have to say after all this you can't get a chance of a good customer experience if you haven't done the due diligence on the linking side of things.

So finally this is why businesses run processes for their Telco procurement and look at things like single point of failure, redundancy and resilience as major considerations and even they then balance that against cost. So as a final comment decide what you are prepared to pay and work back from there to find who will support it, simplify the process technically if you can or ascertain what level of guarantee of service they can provide. Otherwise your never going to be happy... and unless able to rationalise things will always continue to gnaw away at you.

oh and BTW - just because Chorus was part of Telecom / spark don't expect that relationship to work any better than any other contract they have. I't may be Chorus's single biggest client by a hefty margin but they throw hand grenades at one another like a bad marriage!!! and sometimes the customers are the ones most affected.
    Pengy likes this.

Having been in IT for a few years now I'd have to say they are all very bad. With the split off of telco and lines provider the last thing they want to do is get the lines provider to do anything because that costs them money, sending a new modem is cheaper as a first attempt. The main problem is that they went for fibre locally rather than fix the real problem which was the capacity of the international links and it is the capacity of these that is the main limit on speed. They've given us all Ferraris but we are still stuck with the pot holed dirt farm tracks for roads. I gather they are looking at throttling the copper speeds in order to make the fibre connections look better.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I fucking hate Spark.
    I prefer to spell it backwards - seems more appropriate
    Pengy likes this.
    The D is silent, hillbilly!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Having been in IT for a few years now I'd have to say they are all very bad. With the split off of telco and lines provider the last thing they want to do is get the lines provider to do anything because that costs them money, sending a new modem is cheaper as a first attempt. The main problem is that they went for fibre locally rather than fix the real problem which was the capacity of the international links and it is the capacity of these that is the main limit on speed. They've given us all Ferraris but we are still stuck with the pot holed dirt farm tracks for roads. I gather they are looking at throttling the copper speeds in order to make the fibre connections look better.
    Absolutely Gadget man... Hence my comments around doing your due diligence, the other factor is just asking them basic network dimensioning questions, what the optimal number of concurrent users if per Megabit on your local VDSL service and what is it today? (for example a few years ago Orcon was 24 users, Kordia a business provider in the same group at the time was 10-12, although I know at times it was much much higher than this on the Orcon side. Big difference there in buffering sign on and IP address usage resulting in disconnects and bumps off the network.

Secondly, Do they run QOS across the network and are you best efforts in level of priority for your traffic, or do you get throttled or prioritized if they use packet detection and decide that you as a gamer get a faster or slower service (there's usually 3+ levels in most commercial networks).

CDN's make a big difference to how far the data has to come the speed and local content caching so access to a local CDN or close by international hub will make a huge difference in round trip time for the data. Hence sometimes it takes ages to load a youtube video (states) the first time but loads a lot quicker because its sitting on the local CDN your provider has access to after that.

Everybody talks about the cloud, but actually its all about the spaghetti!!!

But I'm getting way too techy now, so I'll shut up - good luck and shop around!!!

Several bad experiences with Slingshot here too - last time I was getting disconnected 5-6 times a week for anywhere up to half an hour each time (diagnostics saying no response from DNS), and guess what their response was? "Until you have more than 10 disconnects a day we don't consider it a problem"

Funny enough it did get better after I complained, so they must have fixed something even though they wouldn't acknowledge the problem.

Best service (both internet and customer service) I've had in the past was from Orcon.

Inspire (Palmy based) and Snap (Chch based) are tops - best of any I've used.
    REAL kiwi people on the helpdesk too. No foreign call centres. No thick accents. Surprisingly, no queues either.

Been happy with Orcon, good speeds for ADSL2+ and no fair use policy so i can go ape shit with streaming and online gaming with no slowdowns. Never had a single hickup with them.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

+1 for Orcon, Switched from Slingshot over a year ago, seemed semi normal with Slingshot to have the connection drop out for 1-2 hours at least once every 1-2 weeks for no apparent reason.
    Love being on unlimited fibre.