Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ethos
  • 1 Post By 308
  • 2 Post By Cordite

Thread: Jane Goodall Gorilla lady speaks sense.

Jane Goodall Gorilla lady speaks sense.

If you wanted proof that our NZ brand of woke anti mammal conservation was a bit OTT, here is proof:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...t-pest-message
    Some quiet words from a conservation legend to conservationists in NZ not to vilify or mistreat the “pests” they control.
    Respect.
    Cordite likes this.

Yeah Goodall is allgood - as hunters we want to despatch our quarry with a clean quick humane kill

The third time ever I saw deer in the wild, the only shot I was presented with was a "Texas Heart Shot" ie shoot em up the arse - I was happy to point the rifle straight up, take my finger off the trigger and just watch them go

I reckon that a lot of Greenies don't realise that lots of hunters just like being out in the bush and seeing the wildlife
    Cordite likes this.

From the link:

"I certainly see the importance of predator control and certainly believe in it ... it was just a really nice little reminder that she put out there, to not vilify these creatures," Luxton said.
    "The way that we class them as pests, yes they need to be culled and it's a necessity for the balance, but we introduced them in the beginning and we have to make sure we still respect these creatures at the same time.

That's some good old-fashioned true-speak, but is it not human to sometimes have to be reminded of the obvious!?! SPCA jumped off the cruel poisoning conservationism wagon this past year -- in the same spirit. The "compassionate kill" is something hunters and shooters really need to promote awareness of.

On a similar note, I picked up an old paperback, a 1963 edition of "Scouting for Boys" originally written by Robert Baaden-Powell. Brought it along for some light nostalgic holiday reading. "The Scout Law" is first in the book and summarises a traditional view of male honour and morality (well, it was for boyscouts, though boy scouts of America now admit girls - wonder if the Girl Guides will reciprocate):

"6. A Scout is a friend to animals.
    He should save them as far as possible from pain, and
    should not kill any animal unnecessarily, for it is one of
    God's creatures. Killing an animal for food or an animal
    which is harmful is allowable.
    "

BP talks of 'God's creatures', but whether we share such a belief does not impact on the relevance of his "Scout law". The two broad origin beliefs - special creation or random evolution - both describe systems where we have very real kinship with animals, and there is no reason not to apply "do as you'd be done by" to how we treat animals.

BTW the final event of Dr Goodall's speaking tour is CHRISTCHURCH 30 May, Christchurch Town Hall, tickets from the Christchurch Event Page
    ethos and ROKTOY like this.