Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: just be careful how you transport your firearm

just be careful how you transport your firearm

I'm told years ago, you could carry the old 303 on the bus to go for a hunt.

not any more. Even a gun in a case isn't kosher

Armed police point guns at innocent Christchurch man | Stuff.co.nz

just as well the NZ police ask questions first unline some of their american counterparts. does this go to show that the average NZ citizen finds a rifle in its case a concern? if he was walking around with it slung on his shoulder maybe.... have been into cafes in invercargill with a rifle in its bag cause i couldnt leave it in the car could i!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Welcome to the good old USA!

what a load of bullshit, they could have walked up to that guy and asked what he was up to, if the gun is in a case it's hardly suspicious/threatening.
    veitnamcam, 199p, GWH and 1 others like this.

R93
    Yep. Total overreaction.
    Since when do police point firearms at someone carrying a case. Fair enough if the firearm was visible but FFS shit is getting out of hand.

Used to take a firearm to school on the bus or slung across my back on my bike for outdoor ed etc.
    Used to go everywhere on my motorbike with a slung rifle.
    No one batted an eyelid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, GWH, mikee and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Used to go from pukekohe to taumaruni on the train with a rifle lots when younger, just sat with it and my pack in the carriage no dramas at all.
    R93 and Beaker like this.

If you have to take public transport, it looks like you are totally f'd if you want to buy or sell a rifle in Chch.
    If the case was empty, I hope they were going to throw the book at the imbecile who rang this in.

Many years ago I have walked up Queen Street Auckland carrying a just purchased firearm from the sports shop, no gun bag or case but I did have the bolt open
    No one battered an eyelid Oh how times have changed and not always to the best. Sometimes I wish we could go back in time!!!
    Beaker likes this.

Lets arm the police they said.

Sadly it will only get worse I am afraid.
    199p, sometimes, blake and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

P38
    Sounds like he was following the advise given in the Arms Code booklet Section 5a Transporting Firearms

"You are strongly advised to get a padded cover or hard case in which to carry your Firearm."

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam, Beaker and Tommy like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Yip total over reaction.
    I think I would personally struggle to get on the ground when doing nothing wrong. Sure set the case down and step away but u wouldn't see me face down in the dirt like a criminal.

I really hope he files an offical complaint I know I would.

P38, veitnamcam, Pointer and 3 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Yip total over reaction.
    I think I would personally struggle to get on the ground when doing nothing wrong. Sure set the case down and step away but u wouldn't see me face down in the dirt like a criminal.

I really hope he files an offical complaint I know I would.

With cops yelling at you with glocks(?) Pointed....... youd be on the ground mate
    tiroatedson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    With cops yelling at you with glocks(?) Pointed....... youd be on the ground mate
    Cops with glocks safest place would be standing in front of them.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to be in that position but this is not the usa this in nz do not forget that

P38, veitnamcam, Pointer and 6 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Complete over reaction, but you cannot believe how stupid some people are, I have had a guy walk in with a bb pistol in his hand holding it like he was going to shoot it, others walk in with a rifle in there hands bolt closed,I generally asked them if they are looking to get shot , or get a free board and lodge holiday, most realise after I tell them to put it down on the counter how stupid they have been, unless they buy a bag to leave with which most do, it gets wrapped in brown paper.

According to the arms code (see below)
    •You may not leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle.
    •‘Unattended’ means no-one is in, near or able to watch the vehicle.

So if I'm travelling to a shooting event I can't leave my firearms in my car if I can't see my car, but I can't carry my firearms in my cases as I go to lunch or the bank because the public won't understand why I'm carrying two soft cases and one hard case around with me. Nonsense.

Imagine wandering around a Cook Strait ferry with your firearms in their cases. That'd work wouldn't it?

Instead I lock the cases in the car. The ammunition in a separare locked box and the bolts travel with me in a locked case in my bag. To me that is the appropriate security.

5a) Transporting firearms and ammunition

Even before you buy your first firearm you need to know how you will carry it home and where you will keep it. Once you leave the dealer’s shop you will be carrying your firearm in a public place and possibly on a bus, train, aircraft, or inter-island ferry. Bear in mind that it is illegal to carry or use a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Remember also to make sure the action is open when around other people.

You are strongly advised to get a padded cover or hard case in which to carry your firearm. This ensures the firearm is protected and stays in good condition. It also makes it less obvious so is less likely to alarm other members of the public.

You must have a particular lawful, proper and sufficient purpose to have firearms with you, so you should have firearms – unloaded – in your vehicle only on the way to or from a hunting trip, shooting range, or for some other genuine reason.

It is vital for community safety and crime reduction to keep your firearms secure at all times. You may lose your firearms licence if you fail to do so.

Car
    •You may not leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle.
    •‘Unattended’ means no-one is in, near or able to watch the vehicle.
    •If possible, make the firearm inoperable e.g. by taking out the bolt.
    •You cannot drive a vehicle on a road with a loaded firearm. This includes the magazine – it must be empty.
    •Even on private property it is dangerous to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle, or to get in or out of the vehicle with a loaded firearm.
    •Be careful when moving your firearm in or out of a vehicle. Treat it as loaded. Do not point it at yourself or at anyone else. Do not pull it towards you by the muzzle.