Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Just got sent this link from a friend in the USA

Just got sent this link from a friend in the USA

Gives a different perspective to the reality we are facing...........

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...navirus/#close

I feel much better now that I have read that...........

( Where is the sarcasm emoji)
    tetawa, rugerman and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Gives a different perspective to the reality we are facing...........

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...navirus/#close

I feel much better now that I have read that...........

( Where is the sarcasm emoji)
    I hear what you are saying, but have to say there is not another country I would rather be in at this time except maybe Antarctica or the Pitcairn's.

Cheers
    Phil
    Konev, rugerman and Bol Tackshin like this.

Taiwan are doing well. But then they shut their border at first hearing of the disease...

Don't know of anyone that affectionately calls Ardern 'Jaz' either. More likely to hear her referred to as simply Ardern, if not that b*tch in Wellington. Articles like this one annoy me, just because we didn't end up with many fatalities from the virus's effects doesn't mean NZ handled the pandemic well. More correct would be stumbled into it blindly and unprepared while distracted by photo opportunities, and got damn lucky while totally destroying the future of the country. We didn't handle the pandemic well, we just weren't as negatively effected as other countries affected earlier and with closer living conditions that made control more difficult.
    Last edited by Mauser308; 22-05-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    gadgetman, tetawa, 223nut and 4 others like this.

New case today. Apparently it's from a cluster, so definitely not community transmission.

I'm sure that one person has been in a cupboard for a month since they interacted with someone from overseas.

Like I said. Celebrating very early. Somewhere about the middle of the first wave.

If this was 1919 then we would be less than 1/3rd through, with the worst yet to come.

Yet if it was this stage in 1919 it would be quite similar in the case reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Taiwan are doing well. But then they shut their border at first hearing of the disease...

Don't know of anyone that affectionately calls Ardern 'Jaz' either. More likely to hear her referred to as simply Ardern, if not that b*tch in Wellington. Articles like this one annoy me, just because we didn't end up with many fatalities from the virus's effects doesn't mean NZ handled the pandemic well. More correct would be stumbled into it blindly and unprepared while distracted by photo opportunities, and got damn lucky while totally destroying the future of the country. We didn't handle the pandemic well, we just weren't as negatively effected as other countries affected earlier and with closer living conditions that made control more difficult.
    The fact we didnt have many deaths shows that we handled the pandemic well.., what bit dont you get about that...
    Konev likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    The fact we didnt have many deaths shows that we handled the pandemic well.., what bit dont you get about that...
    Handled. Past tense.

New case today. Nothing solved.

The price we paid to keep those deaths down is apocalyptic and the problem is still here.

Yup, rubber stamped the measures from countries where everyone is living in generally more dense population areas. Would likely have had the same outcome with much less draconian measures more suited to our way of life. Official advice was to stay at a lower level, but someone wanted to be seen to be doing something radical to produce more photo opportunities, so we quickly jumped up two levels.
    Russian 22., Stocky and GDMP like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Now that lockdown are lifting early in some places it's becoming obvious they didn't actually work. Cases are not spiking. It works, but not well enough to matter unless it's a dense city.

In a country like NZ it's counter productive.

What a surprise, doing things the third world dictatorship way results in bad outcomes.

Well it may be just a little early to make that claim. Over time we may find out about the cases of illness that have become terminal because they were not diagnosed early enough due to the lockdown...........
    Mauser308 likes this.

We just discovered another Ardernophile. All hail Ardern (so says the stoat...).

We are at the point where we are only just beginning to discover whether we handled this well, poorly or somewhere in the middle and whether the economic damage to all of our livelihoods and futures was worth it. And, now is when we start totaling up the non-covid infected but covid-related deaths.

Bangalore, Hopefully Soon to be Palmerstone (Temporarily)
    I think its all comes down to the way you look at data. For example INDIA has just 2.5 deaths per million (Till Now) Vs 4.3 for New Zealand so did INDIA handle it better?

If you look at the cost of this, its humongous. The SME sector and small businesses in INDIA are decimated. More people are going to die from covid Related issues than covid itself. Scores of people who lost their jobs, all early stage cancer patients who could not get tested because hospitals are giving preference to covid affected more. World leaders are understanding that now, that is why even the countries like Italy and Spain are opening up.

As others have said, its too early to celebrate anywhere in the world. Even if this virus is eradicated there will be people who will be suffering from hunger, mental issues and many other problems. Until that is fixed, it makes no case for celebration.

-Inder

Sweden may yet prove to have done the right thing. As @Tussock says, now is not the time we can tell. That's for later.
    The Fair & Reasonable Campaign - Don't give up, give just a little.

They would have been worried about China sending a plane full of infected people over on purpose.
    Steve123, Stocky and inozz like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but have to say there is not another country I would rather be in at this time except maybe Antarctica or the Pitcairn's.

Cheers
    Phil
    I'm the same but not because I think we handled it well but because I call NZ home. I'm young healthy and unlikely to have been hit badly by it if I happened to catch it. If we undertook social distancing vs social isolation which is what we did. I understand not everyone is so lucky but most of the people covid killed a common cold could likely have killed.

I've heard Cindy used affectionately often but I interact with both sides of the fence on a regular basis both due to mine and my partners professions and because I think it's healthy to atleast see why people think what they do regardless of what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    New case today. Apparently it's from a cluster, so definitely not community transmission.

I'm sure that one person has been in a cupboard for a month since they interacted with someone from overseas.

Like I said. Celebrating very early. Somewhere about the middle of the first wave.

If this was 1919 then we would be less than 1/3rd through, with the worst yet to come.

Yet if it was this stage in 1919 it would be quite similar in the case reduction.
    Very early. We may be alright but all it takes is one cluster ie a health care worker etc getting it. It's not human nature to stay home if "just a bit off". It's exponential and we could have an outbreak come out of nowhere very easy still however the fcat this Is NZ and we are not as densely populated we have less risk but not none

Not necessarily what it means is is we haven't had many deaths from Covid. If we just implemented social distancing vs isolation we likely would be the same. I saw earlier today that its quite hard to get it from surface transmission. Which means distancing is likely effective enough. Especially when paired with ppe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Handled. Past tense.

New case today. Nothing solved.

The price we paid to keep those deaths down is apocalyptic and the problem is still here.
    I agree I think the price in the economy was too high. Especially since we were in the ideal place to deal well with a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Well it may be just a little early to make that claim. Over time we may find out about the cases of illness that have become terminal because they were not diagnosed early enough due to the lockdown...........
    I'd be livid being one of them as a month is huge in potentially being able to have a long happy life vs covid if you die from it you were already screwed.

So my general thoughts are the cost on the economy and as such everyone else are not in line with how much we potentially gained going into lockdown.
    I acknowledge that hindsight is 20:20 but I think the borders should have been closed to non residents and citizens as soon as it was recommended. Social distancing should have been employed not isolation for the general public. Similar to level 2 maybe a bit closer to level 3. I don't think we can compare NZ vs places like the USA or European countries. For one the more seeds (ie infected individuals entering a country the more the risk of outbreaks) so places like the US or England that have people flying in and out at huge rates daily from all over the world both for work and travel means they have much more chance of infection spreading than NZ where we get a fraction of the numbers and they don't come here to sit up close with others typically. We don't have huge density which effects spread greatly. We are relatively self sufficient for our size having lots made here whereas some US states are larger than NZ and may get alot of critical items from out of state so simply closing state borders is extremely difficult and a much bigger call than here. We MAY come out alright in terms of the virus but that's not guarantee but we know the economy is fucked. They paint the picture that hospitals where hectic. This is not the case. They were at about 60% of normal levels.
    While I don't think it was part of it I think it benefitted Labour greatly having the lockdown as it forced people to be submissive and just accept things then with nothing to do she has a daily address in which she can put the only thing I think she's great into play and communicate. She is a great communicator just like Obama and while she goes and puts on a friendly face she slowly gains a following. I only hope that come September there is enough economic sting that people can see through the identity politics bullshit.
    Steve123 and inozz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    They would have been worried about China sending a plane full of infected people over on purpose.
    Shouldn't everyone have been? Hahahah
    Steve123 and Reprosniffer like this.