Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Just got sent this link from a friend in the USA

Well New Zealand has it easy in a lot of ways, one of the most isolated countries in the world out in the Pacific Ocean, so it could close up and watch the world burn and fair play to NZ in that situation.

However it only bought time until some solutions could be found and we learn more and more about the virus every day. One thing we know from data is that it's not as deadly to the general population as first feared and in the USA and Canada, about 60-80% of the deaths are in nursing homes and across the population over 99% of the deaths are from those with existing co-morbidities. In my state of Pennsylvania, the average age of death from Covid-1984 is 82 years old, which is higher than the overall life expectancy. There is also a lot of development going on in regards to vaccines and therapeutic medicines for those that get the virus.

But the virus is never really going away and it's possible that a vaccine will be like the flu vaccine in that it will never be 100% effective. I think NZ kicked the can down the road but some day will have to deal with it. In the meantime, the part of the economy that depended on international travel and foreigners investing in the country and real estate is poof, gone.
    timattalon likes this.

“We must fight by going hard and going early,”

Urrrgg. Another brand Ardern bumper sticker.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Well New Zealand has it easy in a lot of ways, one of the most isolated countries in the world out in the Pacific Ocean, so it could close up and watch the world burn and fair play to NZ in that situation.

However it only bought time until some solutions could be found and we learn more and more about the virus every day. One thing we know from data is that it's not as deadly to the general population as first feared and in the USA and Canada, about 60-80% of the deaths are in nursing homes and across the population over 99% of the deaths are from those with existing co-morbidities. In my state of Pennsylvania, the average age of death from Covid-1984 is 82 years old, which is higher than the overall life expectancy. There is also a lot of development going on in regards to vaccines and therapeutic medicines for those that get the virus.

But the virus is never really going away and it's possible that a vaccine will be like the flu vaccine in that it will never be 100% effective. I think NZ kicked the can down the road but some day will have to deal with it. In the meantime, the part of the economy that depended on international travel and foreigners investing in the country and real estate is poof, gone.
    It's likely we have it. How would you know?

It's been around since December. Whenever it gets in to a country you have a hyper dramatic rise in cases, the case counter starts, hospitals are shut down etc etc. In NZ this took a couple of weeks.

What was it doing between January and March?

Sitting on a beach in Europe looking at travel brochures and going - Fark NZ looks nice?
    Barefoot and Maxx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

It's been around since December. Whenever it gets in to a country you have a hyper dramatic rise in cases, the case counter starts, hospitals are shut down etc etc. In NZ this took a couple of weeks.

What was it doing then? Exponentially multiplying and spreading depending on local conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    What was it doing then? Exponentially multiplying and spreading depending on local conditions.
    Apparently it wasn't. Apparently it waited months for that. It didn't gain it's explosive abilities till late February.

Alternatively it was, because as you point out, its a virus. It only does one thing.

So the numbers just don't add up.

What caused it it to lie dormant from December till February?

It's only taken 8 weeks for outbreaks to develop globally. A country goes from a few cases to thousands quickly in that time.

What about between Dec and Feb? It spread, people travelled, but there were no outbreaks?

Nah it spread all right, but it just wasn't convenient to have a sky is falling chicken little moment just before xmas.

Bangalore, Hopefully Soon to be Palmerstone (Temporarily)
    Apparently it wasn't. Apparently it waited months for that. It didn't gain it's explosive abilities till late February.

Alternatively it was, because as you point out, its a virus. It only does one thing.

It's only taken 8 weeks for outbreaks to develop globally. A country goes from a few cases to thousands quickly in that time.

What about between Dec and Feb? It spread, people travelled, but there were no outbreaks?
    Maybe it was not dormant, may it was there. Let me tell you my experience. Around new years I got severely under the weather, high fever, congested lungs, cough basically all the symptoms of Covid. Doctors here diagnosed it as chest infection and prescribed strong antibios. It took me almost a month to get better. Many of my office mates had the same but everyone shrugged it off as change in weather or something.

Now when we look back, all of us strongly believe that we had the virus. If we had the same thing now, we would have rushed to hospital and counted in covid numbers for sure. I am planning to go for anti bodies test when things get settled a bit here.

-Inder
    GravelBen, Mauser308 and moosemeat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    We just discovered another Ardernophile. All hail Ardern (so says the stoat...).

We are at the point where we are only just beginning to discover whether we handled this well, poorly or somewhere in the middle and whether the economic damage to all of our livelihoods and futures was worth it. And, now is when we start totaling up the non-covid infected but covid-related deaths.
    You may of noticed I didnt call you any names ?
    Note i have NEVER voted Labour, Greens or NZ First, to call me an Adernophile says more about yourself than it does me ?

Interesting you say December, In December in Napier at my partners company of a couple hundred workers a large amount of the workforce got flu like symptoms, some were very badly affected, was it the flu or
    was it Covid-19?

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    You may of noticed I didnt call you any names ?
    Note i have NEVER voted Labour, Greens or NZ First, to call me an Adernophile says more about yourself than it does me ?
    That wasn't a name, it was assigning a group. By saying we handled it well you displayed a lot of the same hero worship I see out of her usual fan girls and boys. I can't understand how anyone can call what we are about to go through a good response to any outside stress like a 'pandemic'. Even members of the labour govt are saying it wasn't to protect or save anyone, it was simply to buy time for a completely unprepared health sector to sort their crap out. The extensions were simply down to them taking too bloody long to do it, the infections that created the main issues occurred well before the lockdown and from what we now know from the evidence overseas personal separation and segregation of the sick would likely have given the same outcome. Without crushing the economy and destroying innocent NZ's futures in the process... Now, if we had a leader and not a reactor we would have restricted the border harder in February for the same result with no closure of our local economy which likely would have been better able to absorb and redirect the newly redundant from the tourism sector.
    Maxx likes this.

Once there is more antibody testing, there will probably be more answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    Interesting you say December, In December in Napier at my partners company of a couple hundred workers a large amount of the workforce got flu like symptoms, some were very badly affected, was it the flu or
    was it Covid-19?
    Interesting too here in Ontario Canada my whole mens hockey team got sick after New Years including myself, guys had bad coughs, I have high fever for 4 days and dry cough couple guys got bad chest infections everybody talked about for weeks shit we played with 2 or 3 guys on the bench for a couple weeks, that sucks at my age!! Hoping it was covid cause over half the people you talk to now say they had a nasty flu back earlier in the year which means the 2nd wave won't nearly be as bad!!

So you guys nailed this. My wife and I also had a weird 6 week cold. Fevers and sore throats mainly. Completely unusual for us.

It was already widespread in February. We already had it. The only thing that changed was the panic and hysteria.

The government was very careful to only test people who traveled.

The "growth" of the infection and the infection rate came from bogus hand picked data points passed off as a representative sample.

So many well qualified health professionals on here. Who would have guessed?
    sore head stoat likes this.