Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Kea deaths related to 1080 trial

Yep, head up arse! It’s about the dollars?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Fulla
    A little bit off topic but here it comes anyway.... Was talking to a old guy about the gun ban thing... He tells me he once had to hand in a 410 that was pistol length years ago. He said it was called a Kia gun. He said they were popular with farmers in the South for controlling kia back in the day. Well that's his story.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    A little bit off topic but here it comes anyway.... Was talking to a old guy about the gun ban thing... He tells me he once had to hand in a 410 that was pistol length years ago. He said it was called a Kia gun. He said they were popular with farmers in the South for controlling kia back in the day. Well that's his story.
    Yep kea guns were common place in the early Canterbury high country. My grandad used to hunt kea at night during the winter when the sheep were least active and the kea were hanging off their backs.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    bully and BRADS like this.

R93
    A question has to be asked here.
    2 kea died even tho there was heaps of things done to mitigate it happening.
    Kea were fed Thar to put them off eating baits and baits that make them sick, yet still 2 of the monitored birds died. 15%ish

So how many die when there is nothing done to try and prevent kea fatalities in a normal 1080 drop?
    How many other native birds die?

I am sure I remember a time when it was said if they ever have 1 kea death as a result of 1080 they would stop using it....... Yeah Na.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    yogi, chainsaw, Mathias and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

"Kea gun" was just a Kiwi nick-name for them. My first ever job was working in Tisdalls Sports in PNth after school and during the holidays. We used to sell them. They had a side lever opening and case hardened receiver. Not sure where they were made - Spain or Turkey seems to come to mind. Their barrel was just long enough so they weren't classified as a pistol. No sights, just a brass bead near the muzzle.
    BRADS, Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Don't these dickheads understand the characteristics of the parrot family? Fanatics never learn.
    EeeBees likes this.

Ideology trumps rationality.
    chainsaw and Cordite like this.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

[QUOTE=R93;828752]A question has to be asked here.

So how many die when there is nothing done to try and prevent kea fatalities in a normal 1080 drop?
    I am sure I remember a time when it was said if they ever have 1 kea death as a result of 1080 they would stop using it....... QUOTE]

Exactly, farkin heaps ... but DOC will never admit it

One of the birds had high levels of lead in its body.?.....
    Now I just wonder where a alpine parrot would get lead from? I don't recall shotguns being used by rec hunters in the high country.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    "Kea gun" was just a Kiwi nick-name for them. My first ever job was working in Tisdalls Sports in PNth after school and during the holidays. We used to sell them. They had a side lever opening and case hardened receiver. Not sure where they were made - Spain or Turkey seems to come to mind. Their barrel was just long enough so they weren't classified as a pistol. No sights, just a brass bead near the muzzle.
    $70.00? Jack Lamb used to sell them in Masterton
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    A question has to be asked here.
    2 kea died even tho there was heaps of things done to mitigate it happening.
    Kea were fed Thar to put them off eating baits and baits that make them sick, yet still 2 of the monitored birds died. 15%ish

I am sure I remember a time when it was said if they ever have 1 kea death as a result of 1080 they would stop using it....... Yeah Na.

They were running at an average 13% mortality in monitored drops https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/...ions-uncertain killing 20 of 150 overall at that point.
    The DoC PR is to cherry pick the science- in the Okarito nesting study they just didn’t use data from dead birds or their nests (they killed 77% of kea at North Okarito).
    Killing 13 percent of resident fledged kea to every poison drop in a slow maturing (K Select) species like this, is going to drive them extinct.
    R93 likes this.

twig and tweet keeping quiet on this one?

How do they conclude high lead levels before the analysis is done?
    There are high levels of lead in the natural environment. The birds have probably always had this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    How do they conclude high lead levels before the analysis is done?
    There are high levels of lead in the natural environment. The birds have probably always had this.
    They actually put a lot of blame on kea eating shot Thar from culls etc.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.