Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Killing Paspalum in fine turf residential lawns

Caretaker

Killing Paspalum in fine turf residential lawns

Odd topic for a hunting forum i know

Having been asked many times "how do i kill paspalum and summer grasses in fine turf lawns without harming desirable species"

the answer is to foliar spray with "MSMA 600", an Agpro product

Its rapidly relocated throughout the plant and very effective.

There, that's my good deed done for the day

Please adhere to every precaution on the label if you use the product yourself.

It must be used under the control of an approved handler during use and is tracked from the point of purchase, wear full protective gear at a minimum.

Contains arsenic

Commonly used on golf courses, parks and sports fields, bowling greens, turf thats grown for resale.

3000 litres are used in nz annually so there are stocks around.

Am fairly sure 5 litres is the minimum size, ask your local gardening/lawns contractor.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 21-01-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Can you buy it in smaller amounts?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

That stuff is super toxic and you need to be very careful with your personal protection. You don't get any second chances with that stuff if you get it wrong. Its one of the few sprays that has a skull and cross bones on it and for good reason.

Thanks for this, I probably cannot get a hold of that chemical for personal use, but I have been looking at this grass in my lawn wondering what it was. Now I really want to get rid of it.

Cheers for that 7mil. is it also go on the likes of Kikuyu or is glyphosate adequate. Got plenty of paspalum in my lawn horrid stuff it is.
    While on the subject of glyphosate in your opinion is it as bad as recently stated by WHO as being possibly carcinogenic.
    Mind you thats the same bracket as bacon and salaami too. Jesuss i was spraying glypo and had a bacon sandwhich for lunch, guess I'm farkd then.

wandering jew?? pet friendly
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Caretaker
    Glyphosate is effective especially at 4 or 5% for spot spraying and at 10% for blackberry etc

It is a carcinogen but I wouldn't worry too much as your not ingesting it orally or dermally or through your respiratory system as you would be wearing personal protective gear.

Truth is a useless/contentious/drama filled woman is more carcinogenic than anything on this planet.
    screamO likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    wandering jew?? pet friendly

It will smoke wandering Jew with repeat applications

I wouldn't let a pet onto a sprayed area for a week, let sunshine break the product down.

I had an acre of wandering Jew in my native bush which was up to 4' thick. My successful irradiation was as follows:
    1. Accept that for the duration of the irradiation program you are operating on a 'scorched earth policy and other plants will die in the process.
    2. Spray with Renovate weed spray (name may have changed now) with a penetrant added.
    3. Let the spray take effect for 2 weeks, and where the Jew is thick rake it into wind rows, bringing the fresh growth to the top.
    4. Spray the wind rows, and any Jew visible on the raked ground. Spray to saturate, and spray every little broken piece.
    5. In 2 weeks repeat the above until you have no alive Jew in the wind rows and no new growth on the raked ground.
    6. Do a monthly follow up and spot spray every small piece of Jew regrowth. This needs to be done for 12 months, then you can go out to 2 monthly checks.

I just located my first piece of regrow in 6 years, and it came in on a fruit tree I purchased from the nursery!!

Fulla
    When round up first came out there was a rep who was pouring it in a glass and drinking it to prove how safe it was.
    I'm not sure how long he lived and I wouldn't recommend it but yeah its not too bad.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    In my lawn there are patches where the lawnmower was fueled up badly where there is nothing. Then there are three types of flowering things. Then there are a few spots where nothing grows for reasons unknown. There is a damp area that is mostly moss. Some clover, a few dock leaves and one fennel plant. Quite a bit of couch. Some kind of grass that is short, clumpy and spreads.

Then there are patches of what I assume is lawn grass. Soft lush and green.

My question is, how do I get rid of the rest of the lawn grass? Everything else will take a high speed turn from a 52kg Bulldog with paws the size of tea cups doing 40km/hr, but the grass rips up like a bastard.

I'v tried setting the mower to the lowest setting, and that has helped a bit. I gave a particularly bad patch of couch a tong up with the weed eater. Missus cried and went on about something called chives.

Also, the missus is a bit of a handful so throwing arsenic in the mix seems like a bad idea.
    Some kind of broard leaf herbicide?

Do you have any good sources for fresh lava?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    When round up first came out there was a rep who was pouring it in a glass and drinking it to prove how safe it was.
    I'm not sure how long he lived and I wouldn't recommend it but yeah its not too bad.
    Sounds like a rural myth to me

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Sounds like a rural myth to me
    It's not,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    Roundup will suppress a lawns growth when mixed at .2%

It will kill a lawn if mixed at a 1% solution with water

Try a 1 metre square first

Experiment up to .4% to see what works with your lawn
    Grim likes this.