Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree31Likes
  • 1 Post By TheChosenOne
  • 10 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 7 Post By Proudkiwi
  • 2 Post By Steve123
  • 2 Post By tiroatedson
  • 5 Post By Ryan
  • 2 Post By Guypie
  • 2 Post By timattalon

Thread: Kinda random financial thing, but hope people don't do this

Kinda random financial thing, but hope people don't do this

Was looking at Facebook and this came up

Name:  chrome_2017-12-19_23-16-45.png
Views: 337
Size:  150.3 KB

Hope people don't actually get the finance, literally paying $2170 for a $1399 rifle (that's 257 lattes that you can drink if you save up and pay the money upfront).
    Cordite likes this.

yeah mate agree see so many people falling into the have it now mentality, seen more then a few friends fall into the trap
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Never been a fan of pay as you go. Was talking wih a car salesman and he was saying that some of the 'specials' over 3yrs add 5K+ to the cost of of the vehicle

Never been a fan of debt either and up until june this year when we started sharemilking we paid cash for everything. Now we yoyo from having a shit tonne of cash in our bank to being in OD which is nerve wracking although we just pay a set monthly fee for our OD and no interest as it's always well and truly paid off next month. They tell me it's what we need to do to get ahead but I'm not so sure I liked the freedom of telling myself that at any given moment I could throw my hands in the air and hide from life for a while and not owe anyone a cent.
    Savage1, mikee, john m and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Never been a fan of debt either and up until june this year when we started sharemilking we paid cash for everything. Now we yoyo from having a shit tonne of cash in our bank to being in OD which is nerve wracking although we just pay a set monthly fee for our OD and no interest as it's always well and truly paid off next month. They tell me it's what we need to do to get ahead but I'm not so sure I liked the freedom of telling myself that at any given moment I could throw my hands in the air and hide from life for a while and not owe anyone a cent.
    Yeah but nah....

There is good debt and bad debt. As with everything a cost/benefit process should be applied. If it makes sense, do it.

That being said the OP's example is the definition of bad debt.
    kiwijames, BRADS, Nickoli and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Never been a fan of pay as you go. Was talking wih a car salesman and he was saying that some of the 'specials' over 3yrs add 5K+ to the cost of of the vehicle
    Must have been a honest car dealer? Lol. They usually try and sell you finance or get you to finance a car! I bought our car earlier in the year and they were all excited until I told them I was paying cash, they even tried to talk me into financing some of it.

Sometimes I just shop where I can throw a large ticket items on an account, as my income is monthly, and then pay it off by the end of the month, or on the rare occasion sometimes extend it to two months to help cash flow - like when our chest freezer, washing machine and dishwasher all decided to crap out within 6 weeks. But to "finance" something like that over three years is ludicrous.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Was looking at Facebook and this came up

Attachment 80022

Hope people don't actually get the finance, literally paying $2170 for a $1399 rifle (that's 257 lattes that you can drink if you save up and pay the money upfront).
    Latte's? WTF!! I didn't know they made them in 7-08 ?
    Shootm and scoped like this.

That's why it's always a good idea to ask for the total cost all up. Especially when they say it's only this per month or claim that they are giving you a good deal.

As an aside. Is a 750 saiga half as good a rifle as the bushmaster? Or even an sks?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

For some people this is there way into shooting sports. Some of us aren't cashed up to be able to afford more/new toys/tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bernie and bigbear like this.

Instant gratification's great but self-discipline and paying less for things is even better.
    gadgetman, BRADS, rockland and 2 others like this.
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Instant gratification's great but self-discipline and paying less for things is even better.
    You're right. After seeing a few people (not particularly old) around me kick the bucket I've a tendency to live in the now...not that I'll be taking up the opportunity though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have another rifle and over the 3 year period save more than $800 your meat bill then it could be a worthwhile investment. Though I think a savage axis or some cheap and functional rifle like that would be a better if you have no money and wanted a meat harvesting tool. AR15's are more of a toy than a tool, not that they can't be used as such of course.
    Marty Henry and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    That's why it's always a good idea to ask for the total cost all up. Especially when they say it's only this per month or claim that they are giving you a good deal.

As an aside. Is a 750 saiga half as good a rifle as the bushmaster? Or even an sks?

Lets see.....$13.90 per week for three years is $2168.40....Rifle cost $1399 leaving $760 in the kitty if youpay cash...Get both and have $10 change....Then it doesn't matter if it is as good: It will definitely be as much fun....
    Steve123 and Russian 22. like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post

Lets see.....$13.90 per week for three years is $2168.40....Rifle cost $1399 leaving $760 in the kitty if you pay cash...Get both and have $10 change....Then it doesn't matter if it is as good: It will definitely be as much fun....