Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: In the Kruger, elephants have right of way.

In the Kruger, elephants have right of way. Always.

"I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

Might has Right for sure there Ryan. I wonder if the guys in the camera vehicle went to the aid of the others or if they gapped it out of there
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Not quite sure how one would be able to render assistance to someone trapped in a vehicle being used as a football by a pissed off pachyderm?
    "I would rather suffer under imperfect freedom, than languish under perfect control".

yeah, but nelly must have got bored sooner than later.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

For the sake of the occupants of the Polo I hope so! Should never have been that close, let alone trying to sneak past it.

Double rifle would have sorted it!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Serves em right for driving a VW
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

That car got rag dolled!!!
    Easy to forget there size until they are next to something relatable.

Id say the first mistake was driving up behind it(where a predator would attack from)
    and the second mistake was not gapping it when it was standing off the side of the road.

Impressive animals.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Should have backed well off well before it was along side. Wonder if it was a rental car?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Dipshit in that car had a chance to fuck off. And I could have slapped the bugger with the camera. I bloody near got sea sick.
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Taken from SA news website:

Tourists Sarah Brooks and Jans de Klerk, who refused to be interviewed at the time, had to be submitted to hospital after the elephant overturned their vehicle a few times, eventually pushing it off the road. Brooks was injured when one of the elephant's tusks ripped through the back of her upper thigh, while De Klerk was unharmed.

The News24 Travel Reader, who submitted the footage and asked to remain anonymous, explained that they had been following the elephant, driving behind the blue VW used by Brooks and De Klerk.

It soon became clear to the reader that the elephant was getting agitated and they decided to fall back and keep at a safe distance. Warning signs given by elephants include flapping of the ears or a mock charge where the ears are fully spread with its head down. In the video the elephant can be seen and heard doing both but at no point does the blue VW attempt to back away slowly. Instead it can be seen driving on and getting even closer to the elephant.

From the footage it appears they may have been trying to pass the elephant instead. The reader admitted he wanted to warn Brooks and de Klerk that they were getting too close but could not risk putting anybody in danger or even hooting in case it further inflamed the elephant.

In a controversial move, the KNP management shot and killed the elephant to prevent it from hurting other people. The decision sparked an outcry on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. At the time KNP spokesperson William Mabasa said people should not be quick to criticise the decision. “Our rangers reported that the same elephant bull had been involved in previous fights with other dominant bulls since it has been in musth phase."

It must be hard getting through life being that stupid! I don't even know why they'd be so close to it, and then to not back away...
    It's a shame the big guy was put down after that, hardly fair.

I wonder if they were americans...

With a name like Jans De Klerk i highly doubt it.....😉

Sent from my RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_214 using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."