Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Laptop/Tablet Advice

Laptop/Tablet Advice

Lads / Ladettes,

I am sick to death of my 6yr old mac book and have decided its got to go. Question is, what to replace it with?

It needs a keyboard and needs to be light and portable. I like the thought of a Surface Pro, can get an ex lease one from PC traders cheap. Any thoughts or experience on that plan?

Is 4gb Ram and 128gb SSD enough or do I pay the extra for double the RAM and HD space?

Other viable options? Mainly for keeping up to date on here, TM, FB. Plus work emails and the odd document (PDF, Word etc.)

I'd like to stay under a grand to keep the Mrs off my back but can stretch a little for justifiable reasons.

Cheers,
    Adam
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

When I retired 3 years ago, the nerds at work suggested an apple iPad Air 2 for me. Perfect! Very portable, powerful enough for all the stuff I want, like emails, YouTube, TVNZ on demand t/m.....from memory the appliance cost somewhere near $900 and the wireless keyboard was extra.
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    When I retired 3 years ago, the nerds at work suggested an apple iPad Air 2 for me. Perfect! Very portable, powerful enough for all the stuff I want, like emails, YouTube, TVNZ on demand t/m.....from memory the appliance cost somewhere near $900 and the wireless keyboard was extra.
    I use a PC myself. Stick with what you are used to, Apple to Apple. Less time waste getting broken in on a new operating system, worth it even if the Apple is a bit more expensive.

I hate the mac! I've got a Windows desktop PC and an android phone
    Beaker and Steve123 like this.
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

MB
    Hi Dorkus. My MacBook Pro is going strong and it’s exactly the same age as yours. If it died, I’d have no hesitation in getting another. Does your computer just need a bit of TLC?

As for RAM, going 8GB is well worth it. SSD size will depend on how much crap you want to store on it.

You’re going to struggle to pick up something decent for under $1k though. Mrs MB just went through the same thing. We got some advice from a computer pro and he reckoned on spending $1.5k. In the end, she got a new, older model MacBook Air for about $1.4k from one of the big stores. I don’t like it because it’s a non-“Retina” display and looks fuzzy to me, but she’s happy.

BTW, I haven’t forgotten about the spearfishing. Just as I get some free time, the WEATHER!
    Dorkus likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I just got an iPad Pro. Really good for surfing and drawing. I hardly use my MacBook now. If im doing al lot of data entry writing the laptop is better.
    I do use Google gboard and with the pencil it is quite quick and intuitive.
    A330driver likes this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Surface pro.
    With office 365.

Get the keyboard and the pen, but dont get the surface pro mouse - they are crap. Get a wifi mouse (not one with the little plug in thing)
    Dorkus likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Whats wrong with your Mac?
    Putting in a new SSD will give it a new lease on life and make it feel like a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Lads / Ladettes,

I am sick to death of my 6yr old mac book and have decided its got to go. Question is, what to replace it with?

It needs a keyboard and needs to be light and portable. I like the thought of a Surface Pro, can get an ex lease one from PC traders cheap. Any thoughts or experience on that plan?

Is 4gb Ram and 128gb SSD enough or do I pay the extra for double the RAM and HD space?

Other viable options? Mainly for keeping up to date on here, TM, FB. Plus work emails and the odd document (PDF, Word etc.)

I'd like to stay under a grand to keep the Mrs off my back but can stretch a little for justifiable reasons.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Those are all pretty much throw away machines. I prefer serviceable. Top for me would be ex-lease Dell Latitude (tough corporate machines). A bit more weight, but a lot more useful. I'll typically keep a laptop 12-15 years before retirement.

If it has HP or a half eaten bit of fruit on it keep walking.
    rugerman and Steve123 like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Whats wrong with your Mac?
    Putting in a new SSD will give it a new lease on life and make it feel like a new computer.
    It's a mac - counter intuitive pos. It's slow and annoying. I've never liked it so it's got to go.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Those are all pretty much throw away machines. I prefer serviceable. Top for me would be ex-lease Dell Latitude (tough corporate machines). A bit more weight, but a lot more useful. I'll typically keep a laptop 12-15 years before retirement.

If it has HP or a half eaten bit of fruit on it keep walking.
    Wouldnt touch a Dell even if given one and personally wouldnt recommend one.

Bottom end HP's are rubbish, but the mid range stuff is better quality and mostly trouble free (I would still be inclined to get an extended warranty on one though).

My recommendation specs for any Windows 10 computer (laptop or desktop or anything in between), is usually

Intel i5 8 series or better processor
    8Gb Memory (RAM) or better
    Hard Drive depends on storage. A 256Gb SSD or better if not much storage required (512Gb or better preferred), or if more is required, a conventional 1Tb or better (be aware a conventional hard drive is slower than a SSD).

If youre doing some video processing, graphic editing then look at one with a dedicated graphics card.

Realistically for a laptop you should be looking to spend around $1200 - $1500, maybe a bit more, and if you can get in on a sale, even better.

That should future-proof yourself for a good few years.

Surface Pros are very nice, good build quality but very expensive just because it is Microsoft, seem to be quite reliable, but are limited on what you can do with them.

Anyway, my opinion only based on my experience. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    It's a mac - counter intuitive pos. It's slow and annoying. I've never liked it so it's got to go.
    use it as a gong
    sako75, Beaker, chainsaw and 2 others like this.

I have always been a Mac fan and have owned and used them until the continual upgrade path got too expensive for me and I gave them the boot. That said, I still have an i-Pad that, whilst old and slowing down under the weight of the newer continually upgraded software, just keeps chugging a long.

For my development work I have always used Unix and later Linux and that will not change anytime soon.

I have always detested Microsoft with a passion and still do. I keep one low end Microsoft laptop only because I have a need for one particular piece of software that only comes out on Mac or Windows. I do have to concede that Windows 10, which I run on the laptop, is their best version so far and is definitely showing signs of the MS platform finally coming of age.

So what do I use. Gasp, Horror.......a ChromeBook.

.....I'll just pause here for a few moments to let the laughing subside and for all of you to pick yourselves up off the floor...
    ....All good now?

:-)

I continue. The Chromebook was bought by me about 4 years ago for evaluation. It cost approximately $380, proved a real blast and is still chugging along quite happily doing anything and everything that I was achieving on Mac or Windows (bar that one piece of Microsoft Software). This is my mainstay for computing now.
    It runs all of the things you spoke about - Facebook, youTube, email, and word processor. I run the Google office suit for free. I have programmed a whole lot of business apps carrying out automated recording and reporting in Google apps for the business that Sharon is employed by. I do all my writing on the Chromebook.

Sharon, until two years ago persisted with using Microsoft, but ended up getting so frustrated with it, especially seeing me on the Chromebook doing exactly the same stuff without any hold up or glitch, she went out and bought an identical Chromebook as mine and has not looked back. When it comes to upgrading, or the Chromebook no longer serves my needs, I will review all options again then, but until then I can think of no reason for using anything else.

Cheers
    Phil

ive got a lower end hp notebook and its been fine for me but im not very computery it just does all the basic stuff well the only c**ty thing about it is the fukn picture runs ahead of the sound which after trying lots of different suggestions without success i did some research and it appears to be a windows 10 thing but fukd if i know iv also got a lenovo basic tablet as well its not a huge thing more like a giant cell phone iv had no probs with that either but as i say im far from a computer expert all i know it my cheap devices do basic stuff well

Some of the refurbished business laptops by HP and Toshiba are worth a look. $500 gets you enough power and memory to do what you are looking at. I didn't believe in the value of business/corporate laptops until I got one for myself - they are a whole different level, compared to the consumer grade ones. Less trouble and maintenance, and a whole lot more robust, especially with a SSD.
    Mr Browning likes this.