Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 9 Post By Stocky
  • 3 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By Fat ninja
  • 4 Post By Stocky
  • 2 Post By timattalon
  • 2 Post By canross

Thread: LAST MINUTE. Anyone know any young hunters that are keen to get out this weekend. Chc

LAST MINUTE. Anyone know any young hunters that are keen to get out this weekend. Chc

Now I've got a new job starting Monday I've had to cancel my bigger backcountry trip this weekend so thought it's a great time to take a young keen guy out for a hunt in some more front country that would suit a guy getting into things. I hunt the tops typically so there is somewhat of a fitness requirement. Ie able to climb from 400m to 1500m within a few hours.

If you know anyone that might be keen feel free to PM me for contact details. Don't need a firearm and if they do have one I'd prefer a bit of a reference they are safe with it otherwise they can shoot my rifle should a shot opportunity come up.

awesome opportunity for a young hunter, if I was down south I would jump at the chance. Let us know how it goes!

Great offer.

400 to 1500 in a few hours... jesus I must be getting old if you are talking metres
    Shearer, xtightg and dannyb like this.

G.C
    RUMPY likes this.

Legend. Pity I live in Auckland for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Great offer.

400 to 1500 in a few hours... jesus I must be getting old if you are talking metres
    Usually that'd be 4 to 6 with someone else depending on whether by track or just pick a ridge. I've had a lot of time hunting lately so hill's have become easy. Did a personal record the other day doing a 26km day with one ascent being 1000m gain in under 2 hours with 8 days gear.

To clarify the speed if you are fit enough to do a weekend hunt on the tops you are fit enough. Climbing speeds not the issue if you think you are slow we can always start earlier. Its a bit of a scale the more determined you are the less fit you need to be. I'm not nessarily gojng to head to the spot that has the 1100 gain right of the bat but Its a great spot if a young guy wants an almost 100 percent chance at a shot opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Usually that'd be 4 to 6 with someone else depending on whether by track or just pick a ridge. I've had a lot of time hunting lately so hill's have become easy. Did a personal record the other day doing a 26km day with one ascent being 1000m gain in under 2 hours with 8 days gear.

To clarify the speed if you are fit enough to do a weekend hunt on the tops you are fit enough. Climbing speeds not the issue if you think you are slow we can always start earlier. Its a bit of a scale the more determined you are the less fit you need to be. I'm not nessarily gojng to head to the spot that has the 1100 gain right of the bat but Its a great spot if a young guy wants an almost 100 percent chance at a shot opportunity.
    I would have to start a day earlier...... I still have the persistence but not the lungs for it...age is catching me up and I am not what I once was.

Great job for offering this to someone.
    Shearer and Padox like this.

Right on putting the offer out there - it's the best way to keep the sport alive and get new people into it. A lot of younger people don't know anyone that hunts and are aware that they don't know enough to go on their own, so good on ya!
    Russian 22. and Stocky like this.

Or they were like me up north. My old man like hunting in the way that a lot of farmers do (private land meat missions) and we didn't have our own hunting access so once a year I got to go to a family friends. That and shoot small game. Once I got to uni I've just learnt from getting out but I remember it being hard. The forum gave me some knowledge but I know it would have been much easier with a real hunter taking me out as its hard going out trip after trip and not seeing anything. Most of my friends never stuck it out and grew disheartened and no longer hunt.

This weekend I ended up doing a Sunday trip with @Moa_hunter who's definitely not new to hunting but we had an awesome time saw a nice animal that another hunter spooked by walking under it in the river and had a good old discussion about the world. Even now I learnt a tonne this trip on different plant types and things like that that I never would have learnt without a mentor so thanks Garth we will have to do it again.

Nowadays we need a few more hunters so if I can get guys or girls out and have them see a few animals on the first few trips and maybe get something I feel I should hopefully retain a few more.

Ps this offer stands for anyone that knows any young ones. I can't always get people out but I will continue to try. Have met a young guy that was getting taken out by his dad who's never hunted and doesn't get many weekends off who im taking out later this month. Id challenge a few guys to guys to talk out some young guys as it will make a huge difference.