Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Lawn mowers

Lawn mowers

Who knows about lawn mowers
    Would You buy this
    https://www.hondapowerequipment.co.n...specifications
    or this
    President® 5000 AL S19 Combo IC | Masport New Zealand

1050 cash for the Honda, self propelled balde stops when you let go the handle

820 for the masport no frilsl just what it is catcher 35% less than the Honda
    blade with 19 honda 21on the.... ahh you can read the spec
    Motor Honda 160cc,
    Masport Briggs and Stratton 190cc

Have googled the engines some say the Honda is down on power if it gets into the rough, we have a rough bit out the back under and around bushes etc so need something reasonably robust
    The Honda has alot more features for the growing older Gentleman.

The guy at the shop say buy the Honda as it's better but he would I suppose looking at the price

Does anyone know?
    Last edited by jakewire; 21-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fulla
    I have that Honda but older model, I used it for a year being a lawn mowing contractor.
    It is very reliable! That's 10 lawns a day 6 days a week on average.
    Mine is 5hp. Your 160hp seems exciting.
    You say if you let go of the self drive the blades stop..... That seems a silly idea.... What about when you pull it backwards? The only other thing is sometimes as a contractor high gear driving wasn't fast enough.... So I would stop the drive and just push it at a jogging pace.
    Some things to think about but they are a good reliable brand.

Fulla
    Oh the Honda money seems good! I'm sure mine was all that and some 20 years ago!

MSL
    Id buy the Honda, I brought the Honda HRU196 and it was a great mower, its the contractor king same as what your looking at but not self propelled, and more expensive haha. The catcher is what make a good mower, and Hondas have great catchers

I’d probably go for the Masport as it’s on an aluminium chassis and is 3kgs lighter. I think the Honda is a slightly better engine though. Both motors will out last the steel chassis. I think it comes down to whether you want the self drive or not. Go with ergonomics, ease of starting and features. 2cents from me
    James.
    jakewire likes this.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

cheers @bully the blades stop with a separate handle that is held as you mow, no awkwardness holding it, it simply feels like part of the handle and when you let it go the blades stop
    The self propelled mechanism is controlled by thumbs , easy as
    @MSL, cheers.

I have the Hru Hondas and they have taken all the punishment that the unwashed users have thrown at them and survived . The only concern with a steel chassis is you will need to keep it clean or it will get Eaten .
    The Honda top drive is not overly fast but the engine is not a high rev. so it doesn't like the long or thick grass . The engines last well especially if you change the oil regularly .

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    cheers @bully the blades stop with a separate handle that is held as you mow, no awkwardness holding it, it simply feels like part of the handle and when you let it go the blades stop
    The self propelled mechanism is controlled by thumbs , easy as
    @MSL, cheers.
    Oh ok. I didn't read too many specs, my one the body is aluminum, I guess they changed to steel, I can't think why.
    I debated light weight with no drive over more weight and drive. And I would go self propelled every time! If I can't use a ride on. They are real good, when you can't really be bothered with the lawns, just pull the drive lever and it pulls your tired ass around.
    I had no issues what so ever, other than maintance.

Economics the Aluminium ones lasted too long so they weren’t selling enough steel ones rust out means you need to buy a new one
    2post likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Thanks all
    I'll sleep on it , am surprised though that no one has mentioned lawn master.

I weighed up these exact two mowers last year for work. I decided on the Honda mainly due to its cut width as we have a large 1/4 acre 'green' to mow.
    Hold the metal bar in to start and mow, release to stop engine and stop blades. Has a brake set up. Self propelled levers at the rear.
    Downside to the Honda, it isn't easily manoeuvrable in smaller or tight areas. Also the Fabric catcher is showing signs of wear. Heavy to pull backwards against the self propel drive, Cutting height adjustments are quite big steps.
    Honda motor has been good for me. Quiet, economical. I have a good friend who is a small mower mechanic and he says the Briggs motors are old tech now.
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 21-02-2019 at 09:23 PM.

check out the speed it travels at. we had a Honda some years ago that travelled at a speed that I found rather awkward for my walking speed
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

The hondas fabric catcher is the worst feature it can puncture with stones or bones, so went masport 4 years still going strong. Self propelled can be a pita for uneven areas, good on long straight flat bits though.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The hondas fabric catcher is the worst feature it can puncture with stones or bones, so went masport 4 years still going strong. Self propelled can be a pita for uneven areas, good on long straight flat bits though.
    I liked it. I tended not to run over many stones or bones though.