Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Is the Leap worse than the Landing??

Is the Leap worse than the Landing??

OK for those of you have changed employers was the leap scarier than the landing?

After 17 years with the same employer I'm standing on the step looking out of the plane trying to convince myself to jump !!

Yup best thing I did was change

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    OK for those of you have changed employers was the leap scarier than the landing?

After 17 years with the same employer I'm standing on the step looking out of the plane trying to convince myself to jump !!
    Jump.
    You won't know unless you do and you don't want to spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have.
    Just make sure you have a parachute.
    Pengy, Steve123 and norsk like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

It's always scary to leave a job (just done it) if you have been there a while but a change is as good as a holiday .im enjoying a fresh start
    dirtyhabit likes this.

Caretaker

Is the Leap worse than the Landing??

Fear can often surround change

Hold tight to the thought processes that have led you to consider, and walk forwards confident in the decision that your logical conclusions and environmental opportunities have provided.

Don't look back once you decide.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    So why work for someone else?

Do it yourself.
    It cuts the management complaining down, ups the worry factor, ups the control, ups alot of benefits, ups the stress, ups the fun, .....

dirtyhabit and norsk like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

There has to be a reason to leave, and offers of money etc will not change the reason you want to leave, with such a good employment record with your present employer, you will have no problem settling in with your new employer.

Just don't jump from the mast of a ship! And make sure the ground your landing on is solid, I have a policy never to re employ a person that has left my business or save them when they say they're going, I start pushing at that stage!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The leap shouldn't be scary if you have ben strategic about your decision.

List the most important things that you want from a job; personal, financial and family wise. Prioritise them.

Ask yourself: how well does your current job satisfy those things?

Any job that you consider going to should satisfy those important things better than where you are now, or there is nothing to be gained through leaving.

If you find a job that satisfies them better...then you are on your way (or use the new job offer as leverage to negotiate improvements to the job you are in now).
    Last edited by Tahr; 08-06-2016 at 11:08 PM.

When I change for something new, I decided that I would rather try it now and find i dont like it than wait 20 years then find that I do.
    EeeBees likes this.

Fulla
    I take it you have somewhere to go.
    It's a different world out there looking for work these days.
    Often the employment companies have all the job listings you don't get to talk to a boss and often are signed up to work for the employment company and can end up giving them some of your wage.
    I hate those agencies, being interviewed by idiots who have never done your job. I expect to be talking to the boss.

@mikee
    You have a lot to offer any future employer from what I have witnessed, so don't be afraid of putting yourself out there and don't sell yourself short.
    If your current employer values you at your worth, they will try and keep you. Just don't be tempted by a few bucks mate. Money really is not everything
    I think that you are at an age when a change is probably going to do you good.
    Good luck , whatever you decide
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

One of the hardest things to find is a good employee, today it seems to be only what's in it for me, I find it frustrating and the current laws make it difficult for an employer to do some tihing about a poor employee. If your already adding value to to current employer you should be appreciated, if you can do that for a new employer I'm sure they will be happy to have you on board. I look at work as a something we have to do, it should therefore be an environment you want to be in or you input should help it become that eay. Banging heads on a daily basis is very wearing
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

SiB
    After several distinct and different career paths I have to say that each subsequent job was better than the previous. Despite the differences, the changes enabled me to work, and manage myself and others better. Go for it mate, it is scary making those steps, but I'm sure you'll find yourself saying eventually you should have moved sooner!
    7mmsaum, mikee, Beaker and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    One of the hardest things to find is a good employee, today it seems to be only what's in it for me, I find it frustrating and the current laws make it difficult for an employer to do some tihing about a poor employee. If your already adding value to to current employer you should be appreciated, if you can do that for a new employer I'm sure they will be happy to have you on board. I look at work as a something we have to do, it should therefore be an environment you want to be in or you input should help it become that eay. Banging heads on a daily basis is very wearing
    well this is why I am standing on the step!! Any issues I have raised have been met over the years with a "well that's just the way it is"