Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Led solar lighting

Led solar lighting

I thought it would be easier than it is to find info (bit of an overload of options) but hoping to get some been there done that feedback with associated lessons from others on here. We have a batch up north that's been in the family for a very long time and the timber used was from the old Marae so a lot of effort goes into its preservation. There is no power so we rely on candle light. Last time I was there I was a bit concerned about the number of scorch marks so looking into a solar powered lighting system. Not many people visit it over the winter months and mainly used through the summer, one larger space probably need two lights and 3 smaller areas that could do with single light considering an outside flood also for when we are using the outside fire or back late from fishing and still cleaning fish in the dark.

Has anybody done an install for similar circumstances, what did you use, would you do anything differently in terms of what you selected, number of batteries etc.

I'll be talking to a few crowds around but like to get some end user feedback To combine with the salespeople info

shouldnt be too much of an issue. i decided to light up the canopy of the triton and used 2m of white strip lights that are self adhesive. draws 1 amp from a 12 volt supply and lights up like a christmas tree. you could probably drive enough lighting from a 30aH gell cell and a decent 20 watt solar panel will be enough. youy really need to shop around for panels and chargers. whatever you do dont buy the batteries marked "jackall" they will die within a year. i got my strip lights from wavetech in christchurch, went for the cool white as the bright white is too much on the eyes after awhile. the reason for using the strip is if you have a low ceiling height it will dissipate light everywhere whereas a bulb will give you a spot of light in one area
    distant stalker and Maca49 like this.

Been toying with it at my Bach, changed water and heating to LPG, but Contact Energy came to the rescue with their Bach package! Account gone from $80 per month to $26 this month, only a two yr contract so might start looking then. Am just fitting a heap of LEDs at home at present, off the 230 supply. But should be easy as gonetropo says!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Our deerstalkers branch has installed 3 solar lighting setups in our remote huts over the last year or so.

Our local Jaycar stockists were extremely helpful, including pre-wiring the panel leads with waterproof plugs for us.

The setup for each hut cost in the order of $600-$700, depending on a few small differences.

40W or 80W Solar Panel. This is more down to expected usage, and if you're likely to be charging batteries, laptops, radios, etc etc as well.

Solar controller. Much of muchness I believe, although one that has LEDs to indicate battery voltage is worth having.

We used an 18aH 12v Battery in the lower usage ones, we started with the same in the high-usage hut, and tbh it was probably enough, sounded like it was running for about 3 nights with 1-3 lights in action, without a sunny day to charge in between. But we got a line on an 80aH cell for cheap, so threw that one in there.

Wiring was very easy to do.

For lights, each hut has 2 or 3 12v LED lights, links to a couple of the versions we used -

Bear in mind these are small backcountry huts, so not a large area to illuminate, but the lights do a great job. Choice of lights probably depends on your mounting location. For the lower wall-mounted ones, we had the model with in-built switch, but for ceiling mounted ones we went with a remote switch.

200 Lumens Ceiling Mount LED Light | 12VDC & Battery Lighting | Outdoor/Portable Lighting | Outdoors & Auto Products | PRODUCTS | SL3448 | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

12 White LED Roof Mount Interior Lamp | 12VDC & Battery Lighting | Outdoor/Portable Lighting | Outdoors & Auto Products | PRODUCTS | SL3452 | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

Run everything through the controller and not directly off the battery, otherwise you'll root the battery. Oh and read the controller instructions before wiring it up... some you need to power the controller up with battery before plugging the panel in, or you can fry the protection circuits.

Let me know if you need me to be more specific about anything..
    distant stalker likes this.

From what I have been told, you only need a controller if usage is above 10 amps.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    From what I have been told, you only need a controller if usage is above 10 amps.
    You want a controller on all solar systems to avoid over charging or over drawing from the battery. They are pretty cheap nowadays.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    We had a guy come along and talk to us about solar lighting for our hut. One thing I remember him saying was to buy a bigger than you need panel from the start as they do loose there efficiency as time goes on. He suggested starting with a 100w panel even if you only needed a 60w.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!