Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: legal advice

legal advice

is there any one on here prepared to share some legal advice re property a qualified person would be good to hear from

@Ultimitsu seems to have a bit of a legal streak in him

Banned
    Free legal advice from random people on an internet forum.

What could possibly go wrong?
    P38, kiwijames, Munsey and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post

just as much as free mechanical advice or whatever you never know there are actually some very knowledgeable people on here that dont mind sharing some of it youll also notice i asked adout a qualified person just a matter of weeding through and gathering peoples info that is usefull and go from there you never know you could learn something if informed people post thats what a forum is about collective knowledge
    P38, madjon_, gadgetman and 10 others like this.

Is there a community law centre near you, know the one in icer argill gives free legal advice on simple matters

Come on lets hear it what you wanna no ?
    screamO likes this.

ok so i own a couple of propertys ive done a split previously and had to pay out half which is fair enough we were equal shares in that one for 20 years now i find myself in the same position again funnily enough we got to the 3 year point and then im getting halved again and yes i know should of got a pre nup etc etc but you like to think you can trust certain people thank fuk its not going to be a nasty battle where noone ends up winning except the lawyers i only have to pay up half for the property we live in so is there a water tight way of securing the propertys so in future partners cant lay claim to them other than dont get another partner cheers

I got caught up in that crap years ago its a booming business for lawyers , its crazy once 2 years is up that's it they are entitled to half your shit even if they haven't contributed a single $1 & they don't even have to be living with you, unless you get the paper work signed up early which would be a lil awkward ! you need to put the house in a trust (could be to late now) so two option 1 put the house in a trust or 2 write on the calendar first date & on day 729 out with the old in with the new
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 05-03-2017 at 12:15 PM.

yea i know it sucks how that law works ive been told a trust isnt that secure any more either id be happy to pay back what has been contributed no problems at all but alas it is what it is

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ok so i own a couple of propertys ive done a split previously and had to pay out half which is fair enough we were equal shares in that one for 20 years now i find myself in the same position again funnily enough we got to the 3 year point and then im getting halved again and yes i know should of got a pre nup etc etc but you like to think you can trust certain people thank fuk its not going to be a nasty battle where noone ends up winning except the lawyers i only have to pay up half for the property we live in so is there a water tight way of securing the propertys so in future partners cant lay claim to them other than dont get another partner cheers
    Mate

That's a good question of a divorce lawyer.

Been there done that, got the tee shirt too.

You may want to look at protecting your assets in a trust.

Also ask yourself what assets your partner brought to the relationship and what contributions they made during the relationship as the courts will take this into consideration if it's disproportional.

I've had a couple of mates cleaned out in similar circumstances where they didn't consider the "what if" scenario.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

A mate of myn has been trying to get $ out of her ex husband its been around 6-7 years & hasn't even made it to court yet as he had the farm in a trust pretty sure she has to prove she increased the value somehow pluss for 2 years she ran the place by her self while he was recovering from a injury & still her lawyer is basically saying its a 50/50 chance for getting anything & they were married for 9 years so trust could be a good option next time ...whos name is on the property title ? if only yours you could sell the place real quick buy another house put it in a trust

look into a trust or figure out a way of not acually owning anything on paper i wonder how these guys do it that get convicted of big frauds get sent off to jail etc but still get to keep everything

only the property we live in is in both names im going to pay her out if all goes acording to plan thank fuk its not huge dollars and weve agreed on an amount every thing is civil so thats good just dont want to be doing it again

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post

Kinda like getting a police "interpretation" on firearms laws really. Might be best to give your lawyer a call. If its property related it will most likely money well spent

I know a bloke that met an American billionaire. He asked him if he had any advice for success, he replied "if it floats, fucks or flies rent it for the time you require it and get rid of it"
    :-)

Sent from my workbench
    P38, 199p, stingray and 8 others like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.