Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Lets give this lady some support for dong what she wants n her land

Lets give this lady some support for dong what she wants n her land

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...and-eating-one

A woman who had five peacocks killed and ate one of them to protect wildlife on her farm has called in the police after she was branded a murderer.

Sue Stubenvoll asked her friend who is an experienced duck hunter to shoot the wild birds after they ate rare skinks and geckos on her eight-acre property in Lyttelton in the Port Hills.

She said the animals were humanely terminated before she skinned, stuffed and roasted one of them for dinner.

Janelle Wilis is upset her neighbour has shot several of the wild peacocks that roam around her Lyttelton garden.

Janelle Wilis is upset her neighbour has shot several of the wild peacocks that roam around her Lyttelton garden.
    News of the incident, which occurred two weeks ago, has appalled local residents, with some taking to social media to vent their anger.

"The stuff on Facebook has gone really violent saying 'she's evil', 'she's a witch'," she said.

Advertise with Stuff
    One of the wild peacocks, named Blanche, that has been caught and rehomed by Janelle Wilis and Serendipity Animal Rescue.

One of the wild peacocks, named Blanche, that has been caught and rehomed by Janelle Wilis and Serendipity Animal Rescue.
    "I spent an hour on the phone to the police on Wednesday because of the collateral damage over this.

"I have been called a murderer without any consideration of the facts. As the owner of my land, I am responsible for it. Legally any fowl wandering on someone else's property can be treated as wandering poultry and shot.

"I am legally entitled to do what I did. Unless it is a possum which I shoot on sight I call the police to notify them whenever I'm going to shoot on my land and that's what I did."

The five birds were killed because they were eating geckos found in the Port Hills.

The five birds were killed because they were eating geckos found in the Port Hills.
    She said she asked her friend to kill the five female peahens to protect the local wildlife.

"They look beautiful, they are very seductive, but they are absolute killers.

"The problem started when someone dumped a female peacock in the Port Hills. They breed like flies, they can have six chicks a year. We got to the stage where we had 48 of them."

Janelle Wilis seen here next to her peacock trap.

Janelle Wilis seen here next to her peacock trap.
    She added that she roasted one of the birds and invited two friends over for dinner.

"It was the first time I'd eaten peacock. It was very nice. Because it's a very dry, gamey, bird, I put strips of bacon over the breast and the dripping kept it moist.

"I have another one in the deep freeze and my friend who shot them took the other three."

The wild peacocks have been coming to Janelle Wilis' home for more than two years.

The wild peacocks have been coming to Janelle Wilis' home for more than two years.
    Although the correct term for the animal is a peafowl; while females are called peahens, they are commonly refereed to as peacocks.

Mother-of-two Janelle Wilis lives next door and has fed the birds for more than two years. She was horrified they had been killed.

"They have been here for as long as I have lived here. I would give them chicken feed, raisins, corn, whatever I could afford. If I walked with my feeding bowl they would all follow me.

One of the male birds that has visited Janelle Willis' garden.

One of the male birds that has visited Janelle Willis' garden.
    "My son loved them, he named them after characters from the movie Grease."

The birds would stray onto Stubenvoll's land so she wrote to Wilis saying unless the birds were removed by March 4 they would be destroyed.

"I'm a single mum so I had no way of removing them. I teamed up with Anna Patrice at Serendipity Animal Rescue but we struggled to catch them because they are wild. It was not something we could do overnight," she said.

"One of the ones she killed was a mother with three small chicks. I managed to catch them and they are being fostered at Serendipity Animal Rescue."

Wilis said she had never seen any rare geckos in the area.

"I'm just worried for the remaining peacocks, we have to get homes for them as soon as we can capture them. I would love for them to stay but if they are not safe, they need to go somewhere they are wanted."

Police confirmed they had responded to the incident.

Someone should let her know it's easier to breast them and chuck away the rest.
    Pengy and dannyb like this.

Good on ya Sue!
    Keep up the good work. Now if you can get them to fly they are rather sporting.
    Have shot before up Northland.
    Anyway hope she enjoys the meal. The Pea hens are better eating than the cocks.
    Hope the geckos make a recovery. But you need to take out a few cats for that to happen
    Cordite and dannyb like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on her. Her land, her prerogative. Anyway they give up a great corner piece.
    Name:  5D409446-EF4D-4AEA-BA52-8DF6976E615A.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  1.75 MB
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Of course there is a "Janelle" at the root of this non story
    outlander likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

put ur comments on the Stuff item - I wonder how many will pass 'moderation'!
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Your lucky if you get as far as "moderation" these days unless your comments suit their agenda.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Done, in for moderation
    outlander likes this.

Geeee @Rushy I’d not have that lot in my home!
    Bad luck didn’t ya know? Also any unmarried females will become old maids
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

one reason I don't have or need get a life book

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Geeee @Rushy I’d not have that lot in my home!
    Bad luck didn’t ya know? Also any unmarried females will become old maids
    Fuck, is that why I haven’t had any major lotto wins?
    Sideshow likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

introduced pest species killing native lizards, kill em all and eat them they are tasty
    Steve123 likes this.

"Wilis said she had never seen any rare geckos in the area. "

Now, there just may be a rational explanation for that...
    stingray and timattalon like this.

They look nice, but Peacocks are noisy, nasty things that remind me of Canadian Geese in their ability to strip the land. If they were on my property I'd be getting rid of them well before they got to 48 in number.
    Steve123 likes this.

" She added that she roasted one of the birds and invited two friends over for dinner.
    "It was the first time I'd eaten peacock. It was very nice. Because it's a very dry, gamey, bird, I put strips of bacon over the breast and the dripping kept it moist."

"...and I shared with with my friends, delicious with a bottle of Chianti, slurpslurpslurp..."