Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ebf
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By PommyMcPomFace

Thread: Linux Mint as replacement for Windows 7

Linux Mint as replacement for Windows 7

I'm not really computer savvy.

Actually that's a bit of an understatement. I'm not a complete spaz, but neither am I a rocket scientist, when it comes to computers.

I got a notification this morning from Microsoft.

Bill Gates wanted me to know that they weren't going to support Windows 7 after 14 January 2020. Bastardz.

I love Win 7 because it works most of the time. (Microsoft you've set the bar so low).

Clever people online with glasses and bad haircuts have written that Linux Mint is a pretty good replacement for a plonker who loves Win 7 like I do.

So....anybody use it, swear by it, or swear at it ?
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

ebf
    Max, just download the latest version of Ubuntu and you will never look back.
    Max Headroom likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

The Linux version you want is the Ubuntu Gnome release.

I tried putting a Linux version on a laptop, ended up with missing proprietary drivers. Crap.

Plenty versions out there which will boot from a USB for you to try without interfering with current OS. Like the James Bond / Matrix worthy TOR TAILS.

My Win 7 laptop is getting on, and I have a younger one with Win 10 on it, so was going to use the old one as a test bed, with 7 and Mint installed together, or USB'ed as you suggested.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

Shit I still us XP Pro on my 14 year old hp netbook........................................... ..............

not sure what I will do once that dies

I've been using Mint for a few years and it is good. Have it on a pen drive in my kit for when Windows packs a hissy doing updates and trashes itself and all of its restore points. Let's me take a copy of user data. Also have in on a couple of machines, laptop and desktop
    About the only problem I've found is very slow printing to printers.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

But just because Microsoft will no longer support it, doesnt mean you cant continue to use it. Basically it just means they will no longer be providing Windows updates. Make sure you have a good AV programme, you'll be fine. I still have a couple of clients on XP, it works for them, they are happy. Their advantage, they dont get hassled by Windows updates.
    I believe Microsoft are going to offer free upgrades to Windows 10 (so I have heard) like they had when they first tried getting everyone onto Win 10 but Win 10 sometimes had issues with unsupported hardware with some factory Win 7 computers. So dont really recommend upgrading from Win 7 to 10, but shouldnt have any issues from Win 8/8.1 to 10.

About Linux. I have tried installing it several times over the years, the last time I tried it was a version of mint. It was a number of years ago and not so user friendly, a lot of command line stuff, I got horribly frustrated with it and couldnt even install printer drivers. But I have met a few people who use it, understand it and like it.

I might download the version Cordite mentioned onto a spare system and see what its like if I get some time, it would be interesting to see how it operates now.

Anyway, getting back to Win 7, if youre happy with it and it works well for you, I wouldnt panic to much.

Just my opinion.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Biggest hassle with window 10 is there is no way to disable the bloody updates. At $26US per M/B over a satellite data connection (if client forgets to turn off data connections) it soon adds up.........................................fast
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Coming from using Windows, you'd likely find either the "Cinnamon" or "MATE" desktops options provided with Mint to be a bit more intuitive than the "Unity" or themed "GNOME" ones that are offered with Ubuntu. Though it wouldn't take long to learn how to do what you need to do on either.

Neither is better or worse than the other - they're actually the same operating system under the hood. Ubuntu is built upon debian and Mint basically then takes Ubuntu and replaces the desktop with a more Windows-esque one (I believe Mint still grabs its updates from the Ubuntu software repositories). Really, it's personal preference as to which you'd choose.

Linux's biggest pitfall has historically been lacking support for the latest hardware. But if your computer's running Windows 7, that means it's a few years old and so there's a 99.99% chance that everything would just work. If you need it, printing support has gotten much better these days with more mfg's offering Linux drivers by default (but installing them isn't typically as trivial as "double-click then click next, next, next" like on Windows).

Personally, all I need on my computers is a web browser, so I install headless debian, add a desktop environment of my choice, install Chrome, and then call it a day.
    gadgetman likes this.

Cinnamon 19.1 "Tessa" looks like a starter to me.

The closer to Win7 in concept the better. If it doesn't have the electronic "neediness" of windows, then great.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

Suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I'm not really computer savvy.

Actually that's a bit of an understatement. I'm not a complete spaz, but neither am I a rocket scientist, when it comes to computers.

I got a notification this morning from Microsoft.

Bill Gates wanted me to know that they weren't going to support Windows 7 after 14 January 2020. Bastardz.

I love Win 7 because it works most of the time. (Microsoft you've set the bar so low).

Clever people online with glasses and bad haircuts have written that Linux Mint is a pretty good replacement for a plonker who loves Win 7 like I do.

So....anybody use it, swear by it, or swear at it ?

It really depends what you'll be using it for as to how happy you'll be with Mint.

Overclock.net has a good forum for running linux. I've contributed some of my install notes there.

I've been running Mint Tara 19 Cinnamon for the last year or so. It's been mostly bulletproof for me, but I'm a tech-savvy guy (though a linux noob), so your mileage may vary.
    Be open to the command line and learning new ways to do simple things...

Mint Cinnamon is very Windows-like, but that means it runs slower than other flavors on an older PCs.
    I generally take most updates except for the NVidia drivers. I pull them down separately.

I suggest buying a new SSD drive for the install.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783