Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gundoc

Thread: Looking for practical advice about buying firearms in USA

Looking for practical advice about buying firearms in USA

Hi all

In about 6 weeks I will be heading off to start my trip of a lifetime and travelling in the USA for the best part of 6 months. I have a car sorted for me over there and will just be road tripping around without much of a plan. I will be looking to get as much shooting and hunting in as I can manage.

I'm also aware that the rifles they have over there are of much greater variety and generally lower prices, so I'm thinking of lightening my wallet a little. In particular I would love to purchase a couple of Weatherby, which I have a fetish for. Second hand prices look very inviting - $1100 NZD for a used gun that costs you 2800 in NZ.

At the same time, I wanted to check with others for anything I should be aware of. Practical things. For one, I'm a bit nervous about driving round for 6 months with a rifle in the boot of the truck, in terms of robbery or just a bad look to the cops if I get pulled over. Also, I imagine hunters over there really put a lot of rounds through their weapons, so "used" may really mean "buggered". Also, what I should prepare for and be aware of in trying to fly a gun or two back into NZ.

Would appreciate some advice from cooler, older heads. And of course, any tips about good places to hunt.

Cheers

If you are not a US Citizen it is almost impossible to purchase a firearm there (you are considered and "älien"). Its not even a slightly simple process and actually easier to do from outside the US. And only generally worth doing for something special and not available here.

Now if YOU are a US Citizen then you can generally fill you boots and bring it with you as long as you have the NZ Import paperwork covered

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    If you are not a US Citizen it is almost impossible to purchase a firearm there (you are considered and "älien"). Its not even a slightly simple process and actually easier to do from outside the US. And only generally worth doing for something special and not available here.

Now if YOU are a US Citizen then you can generally fill you boots and bring it with you as long as you have the NZ Import paperwork covered
    Cheers Mikee. Certainly don't want to run foul of their laws and regs.

+ 1 to Mikee's comments. As an 'alien' you cannot legally buy guns under Federal law. Also be aware that each state has its own set of laws regarding firearms, some quite relaxed, and others very strict. Hunting season (strictly enforced) in the US is usually around September/October and only lasts a few weeks. Foreign hunters are usually obliged to work through a registered guide (that also varies from state to state). Your timing is wrong for hunting but there is an awful lot to see and enjoy in the US. You can buy firearm accessories, optics, etc. without problems and no trouble bringing them back to NZ. Don't bring firearms or parts back unless you have an import permit in your hand. If you don't have a permit in advance they will be seized and destroyed. You used to be able to apply for a permit upon arrival in NZ but that has not been the case for a few years now.
    mikee, A330driver and sometimes1 like this.

Bus driver
    Mate..you’ve been watching too many movies....the above advice you should follow,and is correct in purchasing firearms in the US,and getting them back to kiwi.......If you come through OREGON,PM me,I will take you shooting at the Gun Range I belong,and you can shoot as much ammo as you want.....its a great place to tiki tour,try not to have have too many preconceived thoughts about the place...as mentioned you will miss the hunting seasons for bird and game.......cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoePound View Post
    Hi all

In about 6 weeks I will be heading off to start my trip of a lifetime and travelling in the USA for the best part of 6 months. I have a car sorted for me over there and will just be road tripping around without much of a plan. I will be looking to get as much shooting and hunting in as I can manage.

I'm also aware that the rifles they have over there are of much greater variety and generally lower prices, so I'm thinking of lightening my wallet a little. In particular I would love to purchase a couple of Weatherby, which I have a fetish for. Second hand prices look very inviting - $1100 NZD for a used gun that costs you 2800 in NZ.

At the same time, I wanted to check with others for anything I should be aware of. Practical things. For one, I'm a bit nervous about driving round for 6 months with a rifle in the boot of the truck, in terms of robbery or just a bad look to the cops if I get pulled over. Also, I imagine hunters over there really put a lot of rounds through their weapons, so "used" may really mean "buggered". Also, what I should prepare for and be aware of in trying to fly a gun or two back into NZ.

Would appreciate some advice from cooler, older heads. And of course, any tips about good places to hunt.

Cheers
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

RRA
    Hi mate, I can share some light with you on this, I 've personally imported a few firearms from US, not that hard. First, no semi-autos, it will be baned here in NZ in the next few days so no point to do it. 2nd, sort out your NZ import permit here brfore you fly to US, you must know clearly what you want to buy from US and fill up the import permit application, no quantity limit per permit, you can buy 5,7,or 9 bolt auction rifle if you want, put them on the same application. make an appointment to see you local firearm officer, he/she can sign it stright away if it's all A-cat, anything relate to e-cat, the application goes stright to wellington for approval, and you can forget about it under current situation. Then, find a good US based firearm export dealer, they usually hold dealer license so they can purchase any firearm in US for you. You email them your import permit and tell them where to buy the items, online auction, local gun shop, gun board or any US online gun store, they will buy it on your behalf and apply the US firearm export permit for you, is about US$400 per permit, 1 rifle or 8 rifles, no differentce, charge per permit not per item. then is the wait, 30 days if you lucky, up to 90 days if they really don't like you. Once the US export permit is approved, wala, your agent will ship the package to your NZ address. Your package will be checked by NZ custom firearm office first, if there is no drugs or e-cat related items, you will be notified by email. Last, bring your original NZ import permit to the deport, see the firearm office there and collect your guns. Basiclly you do everything here not in the US, simply because as others have already explained, you are not allowed purchase any firearm there if you are not a US citizen. The export agent usually charges 15-20% on top of total purchase price as their service fee. oh, one more thing, most likely you cannot import any live ammo even it is on the petmit, becuse almost no airline will take it. be safe and have a good time there, that's a great country.