Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: M3414 chainsaw

ok im pretty carefull with fuel mixes

Give it a full going over, FACES Fuel Air Compression Exhaust Spark/electrical. That's what I was always learned on and haven't found anything that hasn't been sortable (or identified the fault anyway). Had similar with an older saw, fresh fuel, tuned the thing as best I could, cleaned the air filter and spark plug, retuned it, finally stopped cold. Spent 4 hours trying to work out how to get the sodding two-piece muffler off (it was seized at the joint between the front half and the back half which meant you couldn't get to the internal bolt - nothing a conveniently placed 14mm hole and a piece of sheet steel between the two external bolts didn't fix). Found there was a stupidly designed internal gauze flame arrester that had arrested about 200g of carbon and stopped the thing from spitting out it's exhaust gasses.

Somehow... I lost the gauze (clumsy of me) when I reassembled the saw with it's new cover on the exhaust - got some balls now I tell you!

Another possible is an air leak into the fuel system, a slightly perished hose to the carby or a small amount of crap meaning it's only getting fuel through the auxiliary jet via the carby, not too sure how that one is set up.

Oh, the little screw thing is usually a No7 or No10 Torx, might be the next one up on the bigger saws. Old school had a flathead slot as well, much easier to find one of them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

In such cases I always check reviews about best professional chainsaws before purchasing. It helps me hundreds of times. I bought Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf Chainsaw recently. Very cool stuff at affordable price.

I’d be hesitant to adjust the mixture first up. Something has changed and it won’t be the screw. Fuel gone off, rust on the flywheel, (Magnito clearance is criticle, or dirt dried on fuel dip tube filter.
    Remember the 7 Ps; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

any update @northdude ???

no sorry i chucked it in the shed been busy trying to sort out mrss rifle out for a hunting trip in a couple of weeks just used my other saw that goes good but wont start when its hot
    Micky Duck likes this.

ok update needed to cut some fire wood on weekend and thought id just grab the problem mac just to see if it would go bloody thing started first pop and went without any probs looks like it must be a smart saw
    tetawa, Micky Duck and Fireflite like this.

Smart saw or "smart-arse saw".

Re the comment on fuel, if you only use the saw periodically, drain the fuel out of the tank between uses. If left for longer periods, a portion of the petrol will evaporate leaving a higher concentration of oil behind. Topping the tank up in this situation dilutes the mix a bit, but you will still be running a higher concentration of oil which will cause problems with carb, plug and inline filters.