Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Media Council

Media Council

After reading with disgust the stilted sensationalist "reporting" surrounding the gun debate and a partial email win over a photo in an anti gun article in the chch press, I thought id look this up.
    Warning its a long read.
    Net result is I will be laying a complaint against stuff in the first instance for breaching articles 1,5,6,and 11 of their code of conduct over reporting of this issue.
    Should be interesting to see how its handled, there s plenty of evidence to support it.
    NZ Media Council
    Menu
    STATEMENT

PRINCIPLES

MEMBERSHIP
    Statement of Principles
    Scope
    The Media Councilís scope applies to published material in newspapers, magazines and their websites, including audio and video streams, as well as to digital sites with news content, or blogs characterised by their new commentary.

Coverage also extends to the online content of the following broadcasters - TVNZ, MediaWorks, Sky Network Television, Maori Television, NZME Radio and Radio New Zealand.

The Council retains the discretion to decline a complaint if the publication has limited readership or the circumstances make the complaint inappropriate for resolution by the Council.

The Councilís adjudications are based on ethical considerations: it does not recover debts or seek monetary recompense for complainants. Its Principles and Complaints Procedures are set out below.

Preamble
    The main objective of the New Zealand Media Council, established as an industry self-regulatory body in 1972, is to provide the public with an independent forum for resolving complaints involving the newspapers, magazines and the websites of such publications and other digital media. The Council is also concerned with promoting media freedom and maintaining the press in accordance with the highest professional standards.

An independent press plays a vital role in a democracy. The proper fulfilment of that role requires a fundamental responsibility to maintain high standards of accuracy, fairness and balance and public faith in those standards.

There is no more important principle in a democracy than freedom of expression. Freedom of expression and freedom of the media are inextricably bound. The print media is jealous in guarding freedom of expression, not just for publishers' sake but, more importantly, in the public interest. In dealing with complaints, the Council will give primary consideration to freedom of expression and the public interest.

Public interest is defined as involving a matter capable of affecting the people at large so that they might be legitimately interested in, or concerned about, what is going on, or what may happen to them or to others.

Distinctions between fact, on the one hand, and conjecture, opinion or comment, on the other hand, must be maintained. This does not prevent rigorous analysis. Nor does it interfere with a publicationís right to adopt a forthright stance or to advocate on any issue. Further, the Council acknowledges that the genre or purpose of a publication or article, for example blogs, satire, cartoons or gossip, call for special consideration in any complaint.

The Media Council endorses the principles and spirit of the Treaty of Waitangi and Bill of Rights Act, without sacrificing the imperative of publishing news and reports that are in the public interest.

Editors have the ultimate responsibility for what appears in their publications, and for adherence to the standards of ethical journalism which the Council upholds. In dealing with complaints, the Council seeks the co-operation of editors and publishers. News bloggers and digital media are similarly required to participate responsibly.

The following principles may be used by complainants when they wish to point the Council to the core of their complaint. However, a complainant may nominate other ethical grounds for consideration.

Principles
    Accuracy, Fairness and Balance
    Publications should be bound at all times by accuracy, fairness and balance, and should not deliberately mislead or misinform readers by commission or omission. In articles of controversy or disagreement, a fair voice must be given to the opposition view.
    Exceptions may apply for long-running issues where every side of an issue or argument cannot reasonably be repeated on every occasion and in reportage of proceedings where balance is to be judged on a number of stories, rather than a single report.

Privacy
    Everyone is normally entitled to privacy of person, space and personal information, and these rights should be respected by publications. Nevertheless the right of privacy should not interfere with publication of significant matters of public record or public interest.
    Publications should exercise particular care and discretion before identifying relatives of persons convicted or accused of crime where the reference to them is not relevant to the matter reported.
    Those suffering from trauma or grief call for special consideration.

Children and Young People
    In cases involving children and young people editors must demonstrate an exceptional degree of public interest to override the interests of the child or young person.

Comment and Fact
    A clear distinction should be drawn between factual information and comment or opinion. An article that is essentially comment or opinion should be clearly presented as such. Material facts on which an opinion is based should be accurate.

Columns, Blogs, Opinion and Letters
    Opinion, whether newspaper column or internet blog, must be clearly identified as such unless a column, blog or other expression of opinion is widely understood to consist largely of the writerís own opinions. Though requirements for a foundation of fact pertain, with comment and opinion balance is not essential. Cartoons are understood to be opinion.
    Letters for publication are the prerogative of editors who are to be guided by fairness, balance, and public interest. Abridgement is acceptable but should not distort meaning.

Headlines and Captions
    Headlines, sub-headings, and captions should accurately and fairly convey the substance or a key element of the report they are designed to cover.

Discrimination and Diversity
    Issues of gender, religion, minority groups, sexual orientation, age, race, colour or physical or mental disability are legitimate subjects for discussion where they are relevant and in the public interest, and publications may report and express opinions in these areas. Publications should not, however, place gratuitous emphasis on any such category in their reporting.

Confidentiality
    Publications have a strong obligation to protect against disclosure of the identity of confidential sources. They also have a duty to take reasonable steps to satisfy themselves that such sources are well informed and that the information they provide is reliable. Care should be taken to ensure both source and publication agrees over what has been meant by "off-the-record".

Subterfuge
    Information or news obtained by subterfuge, misrepresentation or dishonest means is not permitted unless there is an overriding public interest and the news or information cannot be obtained by any other means.

Conflicts of Interest
    To fulfil their proper watchdog role, publications must be independent and free of obligations to their news sources. They should avoid any situations that might compromise such independence. Where a story is enabled by sponsorship, gift or financial inducement, that sponsorship, gift or financial inducement should be declared.
    Where an authorís link to a subject is deemed to be justified, the relationship of author to subject should be declared.

Photographs and Graphics
    Editors should take care in photographic and image selection and treatment. Any technical manipulation that could mislead readers should be noted and explained.
    Photographs showing distressing or shocking situations should be handled with special consideration for those affected

Corrections
    A publicationís willingness to correct errors enhances its credibility and, often, defuses complaint. Significant errors should be promptly corrected with fair prominence. In some circumstances it will be appropriate to offer an apology and a right of reply to an affected person or persons.

Kiwi gun blog does them a fair bit. Same with bsa complaints.

Doesn't seem to do anything. Any apology or retraction are small and on the 10th page

bravo and youve got my support -for too ;long this sort of peurile crap has passed for news.

Good on you @Marty Henry. Keep us posted what happens. If the media, especially “main stream” is not held accountable and responsible, then heaven help democracy. It should go much further than a retraction, there should be adequate penalties..... $100k or so, so that there is a meaningful deterrent to lying
    tetawa and dannyb like this.

Good luck with it. They have so many if buts should s coulds dependings at discretiuons blah blah blah that they justcontinue to do and say as they please. Theyre full of sh-t.
    tetawa and Maca49 like this.

Good luck with that! I have grave doubts about organisations that have the power to regulate themselves (BSA, Police Conduct Authority, etc) as in my experience they look after themselves rather than accept their errors. I complained to the BSA about the unneccessarily emotive term 'gunned down' in another shooting incident some months ago. They replied that 'gunned down' was acceptable shorthand term for 'shot'! Jesus bloody Christ!! What a pack of self-serving wankers!
    Maca49 likes this.

Boom, cough,cough,cough

Think about all the biased shite youve seen over the past several years and currently. All the garbage had been published under the codes they so innocently portray as enduring fairness and balance. Why would anyone think they might suddenly change their media behaviour and conduct. Their rules and codes are reflected by their actual actions.

I had a discussion with their editor over claims that police Siezed firearms a few years back. https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime...n-christchurch
    The complaint was based on that (and this is the first paragraph of the letter...)

It states clearly that Police SEIZED 2 guns per day in Christchurch, which sounds horrendous. On further reading of the article ONLY 219 were due to criminal activities. The rest were handed in, or surrendered which by definition is not seized. I will very gladly concede 219 is too many for criminals to posses and am grateful the police have removed these from circulation. I am also happy that where there is potential for self harm the Police can remove firearms from the situation. But this is also not really covered by the term "Seized" in the headline.

To quote your own information:

"219 were due to criminal offences "
    "138 were destructions, some of which were handed in voluntarily" (Voluntarily is NOT seized- it is surrendered)
    " Sixty-three involved family harm incidents where police decided to take guns from the property." Implying that these are seized is certainly NOT related to criminal activity and is definitely a misleading use of the term.

Her reply was
    'I understand that you are believe the use of the word "seized" is inappropriate on this story.

It is a word that is commonly used in association with the police. The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of seized includes as "to take possession of by legal process".

It is in this context the word "seized" has been used. Police have taken possession of these guns."

So I looked up the dictionary (Miriam-Webster" definition to the word Seized and quoted it in this reply..

Thank you for your response. Though, truthfully, did not expect one.

First point I would like to make is the way that media seems to delight in publishing part of the story and not the whole story in order to make it sound more inflammatory or distorted than it is. As an example you state in your reply you state "The Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of seized includes as "to take possession of by legal process"."

when the full details from that same dictionary are as quoted below.
    Definition of seize
    seized; seizing
    transitive verb
    1 a usually seise play \ˈsēz\ :to vest ownership of a freehold estate in
    b often seise :to put in possession of something

the biographer will be seized of all pertinent papers

2 a :to take possession of :confiscate
    b :to take possession of by legal process
    3 a :to possess or take by force :capture
    b :to take prisoner :arrest

4 a :to take hold of :clutch
    b :to possess oneself of :grasp
    c :to understand fully and distinctly :apprehend

In the context that you wrote in your reply it would be taken as an expansion of the statement above meaning "To confiscate by legal process." This being the addition of the two words "by legal process" to the statement above it in the same definition parallel. Thus it would mean that it HAS been used improperly. In fact the only definition above which is not able to be used instead and have everyone understand the truth is the final one which means to understand. Seized, grasped, clutched, captured, arrested, and confiscate all have a clearer meaning that the incorrect use of seized that you used.

Taking what you have stated below, this raises further questions. If you know that "seized" is being used in the way you have used it, and knowing that is not how it will be interpreted by the general public due to the common usage of that word I have two questions.

1) Why did you not use the term "Taken possession of" knowing the public would understand more clearly what this meant? ....This does sound nearly as dramatic as the word "seized" because of most people understanding of the definition of it. To clarify to the readers you could have used the term "confiscated" but the number confiscated is MUCH lower and also doesn't sound nearly as dramatic.

2) Knowing that it would be misunderstood in it meaning, why did the paper not clarify in the article, the truth of the matter? Why did you not clearly identify how many had been voluntarily surrendered and how many had been confiscated?

I know this may sound like a complaint, and in some ways it is. But from a retail perspective, we take a complaint to be a request to improve something with which we have failed or done poorly. Here, in this situation I see the way that the paper has lowered its previous high standards and is now performing poorly. I desire to see the Press and Stuff lift their game and return to the position of respect and truth it once held. Unfortunately the standards do seem to have a lowered a lot and I expect this change in attitude and performance will not be easy. I also feel if no one tells you that your performance has dropped, then you are unlikely to see this on your own and will continue with sub-par performance thinking that it is acceptable, when clearly it is not.

Never got a reply for that one though.....In all honesty I was surprised they replied the first time....
    Last edited by timattalon; 31-03-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarifying what was quote and what is my comment
    Maca49 likes this.

lookat the opinion piece on stuff today -Dr Hinemoa elder(child trick cyclist(solly psychiatrist)a fucking headline"muslims say we dont want middle aged white sympathy (or simllar)then goes on with a mix of psychobabble dribble and a lot of vague references to godwits from maoridom POV. Elder rose to fame as the late Paul holmes ex and mother of the precocious one millie elder-incidentally partner of the late son of the headhunters boss.
    If that headline is not inflammatory then my dick is a lollipop!FGS a professional of her standing should be screaming blue murder at being quoted under a banner headline like this but what do we get -a resounding silence.
    do not get me wrong- everyone has the right to their POV-whats contestable is how that is framed and published-in this case a -9/10

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    lookat the opinion piece on stuff today -Dr Hinemoa elder(child trick cyclist(solly psychiatrist)a fucking headline"muslims say we dont want middle aged white sympathy (or simllar)then goes on with a mix of psychobabble dribble and a lot of vague references to godwits from maoridom POV. Elder rose to fame as the late Paul holmes ex and mother of the precocious one millie elder-incidentally partner of the late son of the headhunters boss.
    If that headline is not inflammatory then my dick is a lollipop!FGS a professional of her standing should be screaming blue murder at being quoted under a banner headline like this but what do we get -a resounding silence.
    do not get me wrong- everyone has the right to their POV-whats contestable is how that is framed and published-in this case a -9/10
    OK a change to the above
    Stuff headline reads
    "well meaning pakeha-you must get out of muslim communitie healing"
    so as a pakeha am i not allowed to feel sorrow for the slaughter of innocent peoples regardless of their political persuasion
    Or
    Is my sense of grieving a hinderance to those of muslim adnerence.
    or jesus wept
    our PM (white pakeha)has kept this country in sack cloth and ashes weeping and wailing via media soaking up international poli adoration;chinese so whaa nufing new happen evvy day)) and now is being told bugger off youre not welcome!
    either way you look at it these words aint exactly contributive to sharing comfort or understanding .
    I do hope ELDER if indeed she wishes to stand by this opinion piece ,has a really serious think about it -this is fucking dynamite and could reignite many traumas associated with this event

There is not a shred of doubt in my mind,that the media themselves are the main driving force behind all of these shootings the world has seen in recent years....their non-stop sensationalist and saturation coverage of such events, is just encouraging the next like-minded deranged individual to carry out similar appalling acts in the expectation they will also gain the instant notoriety and attention they obviously crave.If there is one thing I would like to see come out of this latest shooting,it is a move to muzzle the sensationalist reporting we have seen,and restrict the mainstream media to just the bare minimum salient facts and nothing more...then a news blackout until further notice.And that,just might make a difference in trying to get a handle on these atrocoties and put a stop to them occurring so frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    There is not a shred of doubt in my mind,that the media themselves are the main driving force behind all of these shootings the world has seen in recent years....their non-stop sensationalist and saturation coverage of such events, is just encouraging the next like-minded deranged individual to carry out similar appalling acts in the expectation they will also gain the instant notoriety and attention they obviously crave.If there is one thing I would like to see come out of this latest shooting,it is a move to muzzle the sensationalist reporting we have seen,and restrict the mainstream media to just the bare minimum salient facts and nothing more...then a news blackout until further notice.And that,just might make a difference in trying to get a handle on these atrocoties and put a stop to them occurring so frequently.
    I likes your style but i fears its wont be destined to be-the media and muppetts in the woolshed are in a cant live with /live without relationship. both have each other by the delicate bits but lack the capacity to understand
    where the discomfort originates
    the need to demand instant release and independence
    in a word -a sadomasochists orgasm.

this gents is what you get when you use pommy jamie olivers mantra -chuck it all in the blender and whizz it up-pukka
    in this case pukka could be interpreted as meaning shit!/mickey mouse politics.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    I likes your style but i fears its wont be destined to be-the media and muppetts in the woolshed are in a cant live with /live without relationship. both have each other by the delicate bits but lack the capacity to understand
    where the discomfort originates
    the need to demand instant release and independence
    in a word -a sadomasochists orgasm.

this gents is what you get when you use pommy jamie olivers mantra -chuck it all in the blender and whizz it up-pukka
    in this case pukka could be interpreted as meaning shit!/mickey mouse politics.
    @kotuku.
    I'd be grateful if you could stop referring to parliament as the "woolshed".
    I have spent over twenty years working in woolsheds around the world and have never come across behaviour similar to what goes on in parliament.
    Perhaps you could refer to it as the oxidation pond.
    tetawa, stingray, Maca49 and 4 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Stop being precious!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough