Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By leathel

Thread: Memories of first large game animal you ever shot

Memories of first large game animal you ever shot

Was just looking through a photobucket account of mine that I had just remembered the log on for was having a good old peruse through the photos and found a pic of the first pig I ever shot got 50kg of meat from it and was killed with a .243, still remember the excitement of nailing my first real game animal

Same .243 got this one in front of the house I was living in while it was raiding the maize stack got 30kg out of this one

then there was my first deer hunt while I was waiting for surgery on my knee and had my knee strapped up for that one not in a hurry to enter the hurt locker like that again. Was friggin sore for days after that episode.

Would be good to hear some of your guys memories and see some pics from your first hunt
    slayer likes this.

Unfortunatly I have virtually no photos of my early hunting, hell I only recently went didgital
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

I still remember vividly my first Deer an even 6 point velvet Red stag with my mates 308 with 30-30 pills.

It was an awesome evening, after a steep climb, his GSP started winding & a pig took off.
    As I was lining him up in the scope I saw an explosion on his neck as my mate hit him with his 22-250, I was too slow again !!!
    We decided to stay after we sorted him out as the cloud was whisping by nicely.
    I can still see the silver grey possum sitting up feeding at 9.00, then there was a set of velvet antlers appearing from below me.
    The amazing sight of him head up going though the scrub below me in the evening light, before he started feeding around a bush 80metres away.
    I could see his chest in the cross hairs, the orange flash of the muzzle blast & the sickening sight of him running head up again into the bush followed by "crash crash"
    Sadly I got my shit together & went down to where he disappeared into the bush & there he was, I couldn't believe my eyes, talk about find the biggest one you can & drop it.
    We made it into a pack & I carried him all of 60m before it was to much, so we completely boned him out by torch light on the side of the hill.
    We staggered back down to the ute with pork & venision, getting home at 3am.
    When I got up I couldn't even pick my pack up let alone put it on my back !!!

Unfortunately I don't have any photos as that was 27 years, 3 wives & a witch ago

MEB
    3 Wives. Jeez you don't learn too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    3 Wives. Jeez you don't learn too quick.
    Lol What can I say......Boys are DUMB.....mind you we have to be

I cant remember my first deer...

but I do remember one of my early goat hunts at my uncles with my Fathers .22

Stalked them half the day....almost back to the house

this is was the first deer shot in the roar (had shot some hinds earlier)

(Father didn't hunt and no forums back then and I wasn't a book reader)

Remember that like it was Yesterday .... because it was a fuck up... Never heard a deer roar and was told those were Bulls out over the boundry fence (Mates new workplace)... I thought I might go look at those bulls as they sound to close and I might stumble on a deer while I was out there... I did and I shot it at point blank

I ran over the hill to see where it dropped without reloading the rifle and as I crested the top of the hill there was a big fuckoff stag staunchly looking up at me....then he crashed off head tilted back....biggest stag I have seen to this day Looked 12-16 points, actualy had the cross hair on it just as it dispeared out of site.

Now if that was were it ended I wouldn't be kicking myself too much..... The deer down wasn't to far from an old logging track so we could get the hilux to it so went back out and grabbed it. On the way back in we never thought to take a rifle as the shot would have scared anything away

Driving along the track before getting to the deer two stags crashed out of the bush and ran along infront of the truck for quite some distance and no rifle to have a crack...12-16 ish from what I could see (one bigger than the other)... bigger and wider than the twelve we got later and unfortunatly my mate got a new job with better pay not that long afterwards and I lost access to them

Oh if I only had left the satalight stag or reloaded the rifle and snuck over the hil..........or took a rifle in the truck

A couple of heads from that way mostly from DOC Lands near by....but they have 1080'ed the shit out of it and forestry has been cleared so very very little there to hunt now

Last edited by leathel; 11-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    hunter308 likes this.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good