Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: milk for me cuppa tea

milk for me cuppa tea

well Im begiggigered if the price of it makes any sort of sence at all(or should that be cents?)
    Ive seen this strange thing in supermarket before but took note yesterday
    Pams UHT standard milk(not a bad drop ) $1.89 per litre
    any and all fresh milk(well its not really is it)$2 per litre or thereabouts
    now this is in Temuka argueably the nearest town to one of the biggest milk factories in southern hemisphere.....a little over an hour from Christchurch where milk is bottled by both meadowfresh and anchor
    same plant,just devided by a wall.

if you look at labels it seems most of our so called "fresh milk" is actually remade from powdered milk.....so its been processed twice then bottled..one into powder two rewatered three bottled.

UHT milk has what done to it.....looked at...cooked...stuck in a tetrapack and shipped out the door.

IF the manufacturing and carting process of UHT is the difference (it just CANT be freight) why the hell dont we do it here????

sitting here drinking a 750ml cuppa tea made with REAL MILK that came from our friends jersey cow....put into 2ltr plastic bottle and by morning there is at least 750mls of cream on the top!!!!!!!

rightho you betterer edumacated folks tell me why we have to pay so much for milk here in NZ????

Bus driver
    As head milk monitor at cannons creek school in 1963,I would have been gobsmacked to get info of that kind.. a revolt would have occurred
    Scooby, Brian and Moa Hunter like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

It gets better, a lot of the UHT milk is from Australia not from here....
    Steve123 likes this.

ah yes I missed that bit....the PAMS UHT is from over the ditch...thus my comment it cant be freight...

same as lamb. you can buy it cheaper in oz and see it in way more restaurants than here.
    Mind you I can buy my aussie coopers beer here cheaper than I could in OZ. and that's by the 6 pack not carton prices, If I tried that over there it would be way more. Crazy

and ......................why is it that fresh milk ( i mean proper milk straight off the farm) that I buy out of the local vending machine lasts way longer than the 'medowfeesh" or similar which usually last to almost exactly its use by date. Not too mention one tastes like milk too
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bus driver
    Not to destroy the subject matter...but Kiwi lamb is cheaper here in Oregon than in Kiwi......WTF!!!!.......our supermarkets carry a plethora of kiwi wines,the locals love the stuff....but cheaper here than in kiwi....WTFX2!,,,
    We are recognized in many countries for quality products,products we can all be proud of,but to compete we have to compete....prices on our goods have to compete with many others.......in kiwi,you are basically held hostage....

Quote...same as lamb.

Bus driver
    ...... the outrageous taxes on this stuff supposedly pays for our infrastructure,to which ,....is little...

Quote...rightho you betterer edumacated folks tell me why we have to pay so much for milk here in NZ????

ebf
    Wait, it gets better

The "gubment" makes it just about illegal to get hold of the REAL stuff - straight from the cow.

Try to get some real, unpasteurized, non-homogenized, dinkum milk unless you happen to live on a dairy farm and see how hard it is

Can't beat the real thing, 1/4 to 1/3 cream on top, makes the shite you buy at Countdown taste like the watered down powder it is
    timattalon, Steve123 and WallyR like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    ...... ...rightho you betterer edumacated folks tell me why we have to pay so much for milk here in NZ????
    Won't try and claim to be more educated but why should the exporters sell it to the new Zealand supermarkets cheaper than they can send it overseas? Just because it is being sold to kiwis? Might make sense ethically but not financially.

Have the same issue on the island with blue cod, more expensive to buy at he fish shed in 10kg boxes than it is in the deli at supermarkets in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Won't try and claim to be more educated but why should the exporters sell it to the new Zealand supermarkets cheaper than they can send it overseas? Just because it is being sold to kiwis? Might make sense ethically but not financially.

Have the same issue on the island with blue cod, more expensive to buy at he fish shed in 10kg boxes than it is in the deli at supermarkets in the UK
    Shame the same thing doesn't happen in reverse. Uk products sold here cost enough to make your eyes water, and just to rub salt in, a lot of the products have th RRP stamped on them in sterling
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

@Micky Duck breast is best
    Micky Duck and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post

the point is HOW can they get more for it overseas if milk from overseas is cheaper here???
    there is something very very wrong when imported milk that has had similar amount of processing done to it is cheaper than local product...if its the process itself thats cheaper we should be doingthe same to our local product...ANCHOR used to sell vital (full cream with added fish oil for male vitality) in tetra packs.....it was ok stuff and being able to store in cupboard till opened is a bonus...so the processing plant MUST be here somewhere.
    with the big push to be cleaner and greener ,stop using plastic so much screams for tetrapaks to get up and going full swing UHT or otherwise....

I dont believe for one second the exporters can get more for a litre of milk overseas than they are here....the greed factor is in full swing and they are allowed to get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by diana2 View Post
    Her first argument is rubbish, other species also drink milk as adults.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!