Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Missing Argentine Sub

Missing Argentine Sub

Doesn't look like there's going to be a good outcome from this, poor buggers.
    Was watching the news from Argentina last night and it raises quite a few questions though. A former commander of the ARA San Juan was saying that he couldn't understand how they can't find it, or evidence of it going down as it had reported trouble so would have stayed on the surface or at periscope depth to return to port, the sub is always traceable whilst at this depth and is constantly on radar/gps. He said that the sub is equipped with an airbag system so if it began to sink uncontrollably they automatically deploy and float to the surface and the sub hangs from them at a depth that allows rescue. It was also equipped with a system that releases a large amount of fluorescent dye that floats on the surface if the sub gets into trouble whilst underwater, this also deploys automatically even in the event of an explosion/implosion and is always activated during peacetime patrols.
    Seems very odd that nothing at all has been found and that there was no record of the sub at all after it's final transmission reporting trouble.
    I feel for the families of all aboard. At the same time very interesting.

I wonder if it was a catastrophic failure of a torpedo like with the Kursk
    mucko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I wonder if it was a catastrophic failure of a torpedo like with the Kursk
    Could have been yes although this bloke was saying that no matter the cause it is very strange that there has been no debris or anything found as according to protocol the sub shouldn't have dived under any circumstances once it had surfaced to report trouble. There was really rough seas in the area at the time and he said that could have encouraged them to sit just under the surface but again at a depth where debris would be found and the airbags and dye marker should have deployed.

Islamic state has captured it.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I haven't being following it but I'd say there's more to the sorry than meets the eye...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Really tragic for sure Ryan but don't worry, Rushy is on the job. So far I have deduced that it is in the water and very likely under it. Narrowing it down further I suspect the Atlantic. Still working on the finer location.
    SGR likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The Atlantic can be a pretty savage place at times, we went out on a 55ft game fishing boat only about 18km off shore to visit an island that has a tonne of seals on it and have lunch out there. Beautiful and glassy sea on the way out, couple of hours later and it cut up rough on the way back in, had to turn back and make a beeline for a cove on the island and wait it out for a few hours, threw the boat round like a toy, Mrs and some friends were throwing up all over the show. I sat on the "steering wheel up the top bit" and had a right old time haha. Hate to think what it gets like out wide.

Yeah, doesn't sound too flash a situation.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

It's definitely a sad one. Our Argentine at work says he thinks the last government spent as little as possible on the armed forces , and even less on equipment maintenance. Those safety systems are great but like anything require maintenance. @Ryan_Songhurst some factors may have been:
    1- As you say huge seas so unable to surface during problems
    2- subs still use lead acid (as far as I know), they had a battery short circuit issue. Maybe this lead to battery explosion How batteries can explode - and how to avoid it - Yachting Monthly
    3- A hatch blown off/large puncture of hull meant rapid decent/crushing of any serviceable compartments remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    It's definitely a sad one. Our Argentine at work says he thinks the last government spent as little as possible on the armed forces , so Cristina Kirchner could line her own pocketsand even less on equipment maintenance. Those safety systems are great but like anything require maintenance. @Ryan_Songhurst some factors may have been:
    1- As you say huge seas so unable to surface during problems
    2- subs still use lead acid (as far as I know), they had a battery short circuit issue. Maybe this lead to battery explosion How batteries can explode - and how to avoid it - Yachting Monthly
    3- A hatch blown off/large puncture of hull meant rapid decent/crushing of any serviceable compartments remaining.
    I don't understand how the thieving mongrels that made up their last government still aren't behind bars, Kirchner is under official investigation for corruption yet she's still allowed to run for a seat, mind boggling. As you have pointed out, equipment failure is a real possibility and there is a real possibility that is due to corners being cut. Different world eh?

I read they spent like $12 mil on the sub that sank a couple years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I don't understand how the thieving mongrels that made up their last government still aren't behind bars, Kirchner is under official investigation for corruption yet she's still allowed to run for a seat, mind boggling. As you have pointed out, equipment failure is a real possibility and there is a real possibility that is due to corners being cut. Different world eh?
    Look at Alan Garcia, totally bankrupted Peru in 1990 but back again for another round in 2006! He is currently the only living ex president not in the slammer or under investigation, many say he is the most corrupt. F*** crazy.
    madjon_ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I read they spent like $12 mil on the sub that sank a couple years ago?
    Subs are verry expensive...

Having read Tom Clancy's 'The hunt for Red October' years ago, you can’t help wondering that angle too...

SGR
    Definitely pretty odd that things that size (planes too )can still go missing with all the modern equipment etc these days and like you say have no trace whatsoever. Horrible for all the families involved