Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Moving toward the American right to defend your home with a firearm against invasion?

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Jesus F Christ!

Labour to repeal Three Strikes

"Stuff reports: Labour will repeal the three strikes legislation if it wins the election as part of the party’s drive to reduce the prison population."

https://tinyurl.com/y3lqb59t

Words, well polite ones, fail me!
    “There was a moment's suspense while Conscience and Sheer Wickedness fought the matter out inside him, and then Conscience, which had started on the encounter without enthusiasm, being obviously flabby and out of condition, threw up the sponge.”

The law isn't needed, dear KS... Exactly how many of the numerous not nice chaps in our justice system have managed to dodge having their third strike due to the "manifestly unjust" clause? Oh yes that's right, all of them.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    And that is the difference between the US laws and ours.
    They have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms (completely unrelated to burglary- more protecting their other rights and liberties during the revolution and civil wars). Colonising areas with hostile indigenous populations pissed off with the take over also gave them something to shoot at
    Between all of that and their own property rights it doesn't make much justification to defend it as violently as needed. Their only issue is killing someone by mistake like family and friends.
    We have bugger all of that, just the ones mentioned and even that could be tricky
    You couldnt just get the shotgun out willy nilly either, well that usually seemed to be the case. Cops hate it.
    Bit like what Ryan 270 man suggested it isnt always cut and dried this self defence thing.
    It really comes down to your own circumstances and assessment of the situation.
    I struggled to destroy a dog of mine years ago and am hopeless in fights. Take too bloody long start swinging.
    But from a couple of different situations I've been in, i do know that the switch goes to a cold rage setting and I am not a very nice winner.
    In that case I wouldnt be worried or thinking at all of juries and rules. I would just be doing my best to make sure the threat was neutralized in the nastiest quickest way possible. Mainly because I know I'm hopeless in a proper stoush and wouldnt last very long
    in texas you can shoot in defence of your nieghbours property
    remember old shot gun man blasting two guys breakin into his nieghbours or attempting to.
    tho he got introuble cos there was some conjecture about them just knocking on doors.
    nz law is crystal clear there is no right to defend property or possesions

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    Have a little gander at the following sections namely sections 52, 53, 54, 55 & 56 of the Crimes Act 1961 which cover Defence of Property

The heavy aluminium softball bat next to my bed would argue otherwise
    born to hunt - forced to work

Just to add to the confusion, it is perfectly lawful to carry (ie; under your personal and continuous supervision) any lawfully-owned loaded firearm within the confines of your dwelling and curtilage (the enclosed area attached to the dwelling). That firearm may only be discharged for a lawful purpose (eg; legitimate self-defence. Note that such self-defence is based on the perception of the person during the circumstances at the time). Category C firearms are the only ones excluded because the law states they may never be used with live ammunition (blanks are OK). It is interesting to note that in Parliament during the introduction of the 1920 Arms Act (NZ's first national gun law) the Prime Minister stated (recorded in Hansard) that nothing in this law will prevent a home owner keeping a revolver in his bedside drawer for the defence of his property. Since all subsequent arms law in NZ is a consolidation and/or amendment of the original act, then the basic principle applies, IMHO!

now if you can lay your hands on one a BCF fire extinguisher (now banned as its a cfc oxygen destroyer) they are more effective than pepper spray, imagine every piece of oxygen disappearing not only from your lungs but your bloodstream.
    "but officer it was only a fire extinguisher i keep near the bed for fire protection"

I suspect a CO2 version would be unpleasant too
    Be less impressed , and more involved.

Pure-bred Mutt
    What a bunch of heroes.
    A fist full of car keys to the throat will slow most people down, too. A quarterpike or taiaha, if you prefer a bit more distance...

Avoidance, deterrence, de-escalation.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Bit hard to break their arms and legs with car keys. That's self defence pub scrap stuff
    If I am defending my home I want something more versatile with more reach.
    If I could get their throat with keys so would my fist.
    outlander likes this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Bit hard to break their arms and legs with car keys. That's self defence pub scrap stuff
    If I am defending my home I want something more versatile with more reach.
    If I could get their throat with keys so would my fist.
    Yeah why don't you just roofie or taser them and take them down to your sex dungeon/ torture chamber for some real retribution.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Have a little gander at the following sections namely sections 52, 53, 54, 55 & 56 of the Crimes Act 1961 which cover Defence of Property
    ok there is no right to use deadly force in defence of property .

Pure-bred Mutt
    ok there is no right to use deadly force in defence of property .
    I think it was §48 and 55. Forceful defence is excused.
    So long as it's "reasonable"
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Yeah why don't you just roofie or taser them and take them down to your sex dungeon/ torture chamber for some real retribution.
    Really? Not on the same page at all
    They are severely limited if you crack them in the knees or ankles with some form of stick.
    Same goes for their hands if they are holding something stabby.

i repeat ''there is no right to use deadly force ie kill in defence of property''