Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Moving toward the American right to defend your home with a firearm against invasion?

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, it is perfectly lawful to carry (ie; under your personal and continuous supervision) any lawfully-owned loaded firearm within the confines of your dwelling and curtilage (the enclosed area attached to the dwelling). That firearm may only be discharged for a lawful purpose (eg; legitimate self-defence. Note that such self-defence is based on the perception of the person during the circumstances at the time). Category C firearms are the only ones excluded because the law states they may never be used with live ammunition (blanks are OK). It is interesting to note that in Parliament during the introduction of the 1920 Arms Act (NZ's first national gun law) the Prime Minister stated (recorded in Hansard) that nothing in this law will prevent a home owner keeping a revolver in his bedside drawer for the defence of his property. Since all subsequent arms law in NZ is a consolidation and/or amendment of the original act, then the basic principle applies, IMHO!
    Its a pity that a stand was not made back then against this stuff, as there must have been many at the time who had arms for such purposes.As we all know the 1920 act was not about public safety it was drafted and passed for quite different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    i repeat ''there is no right to use deadly force ie kill in defence of property''
    I don't think anyone has said that they would kill in defence of property , maybe f#ck them up a bit....but if someone was threatening the life of any family members in their own home I personally wouldn't blame anyone for doing what they had to in that situation , as I believe in that situation it's the invader who has relinquished THEIR rights , regardless of the law , as they are the ones that have no right to be there in the first place. I for one sure as shit would not just stand there and watch my family be beaten or worse.....
    born to hunt - forced to work

Hahahahaha, just need a trusty .22 in your wardrobe ready to go????
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    i repeat ''there is no right to use deadly force ie kill in defence of property''
    Yeah, I agree, one only needs to look at the price of property in a major city in NZ and see its worth more than a life.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Hahahahaha, just need a trusty .22 in your wardrobe ready to go????
    Or the old Police Minister - Shotgun Trevor - with the loaded shottie under the bed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Resident Curmudgeon Kiwi Sapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Or the old Police Minister - Shotgun Trevor - with the loaded shottie under the bed.
    "Under?".....Nah, we have come a long way since then.... Bed Buddy's are the answer; hidden from sight during the day, ready for instant action during the hours of darkness.

Name:  bed buddy rack.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  43.5 KB
    gadgetman likes this.
    “There was a moment's suspense while Conscience and Sheer Wickedness fought the matter out inside him, and then Conscience, which had started on the encounter without enthusiasm, being obviously flabby and out of condition, threw up the sponge.”

Are you guys advocating keeping loaded unsecured firearms available for self defense purposes?

I have my trusty aluminium softball bat 'the negotiator' and a samurai sword which also doubles as a pruner for the driveway ( fastest way of pruning back overhanging flora I have found ) so no I'm not advocating anything. I wouldn't use a firearm simply for the safety of the rest of my family.
    Don't fancy blowing holes in the walls into my kids bedrooms.... kinda goes against the whole protection thing if you shoot them yourself eh...

Or get prosecuted and never allowed firearms again

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Or get prosecuted and never allowed firearms again
    And that.....

Are you guys advocating keeping loaded unsecured firearms available for self defense purposes?

Oh Dear No,,, Oh that such wickedness could be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Ftx325 likes this.
    “There was a moment's suspense while Conscience and Sheer Wickedness fought the matter out inside him, and then Conscience, which had started on the encounter without enthusiasm, being obviously flabby and out of condition, threw up the sponge.”

I see, what's the purpose of your post then sapper? Just shooting the shit or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    "Under?".....Nah, we have come a long way since then.... Bed Buddy's are the answer; hidden from sight during the day, ready for instant action during the hours of darkness.

Attachment 152447
    Needs a shorter barrel....
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

My great-grandmother kept a loaded handgun under her pillow most of her life. My great grandfather had given it to her fir a wedding present, and they lived up in the bush around Tutira. He had met Te Kooti unexpectedly on one of the trails and there was a lot of tension ever since the battle of Omarunui. Anyway, the old girl kept the pistol under her pillow until my grandfather found it around 1970 when she was in her 90's and gently suggested she should hand it in to the police. Different times.
    308 likes this.

I see, what's the purpose of your post then sapper? Just shooting the shit or am I missing something?
    You are "missing something", but don't worry about it. :>)
    gadgetman likes this.